Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot both ways depending on the bow im using and the targets.

Target shooting and bow fishing I open both, but I find myself closing one eye while hunting for some reason.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One eye on hunting and targets...but my bow has training wheels...

Both open on the bowfishing set-up. So far, the fish haven't been in much danger...

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you can get out at night with lights, that will expedite the learning curve for you.

With lights refraction is consistent. daytime the angle of the sun, and level of brightness is almost constantly changing.

I've had days were I hit 10-12 fish in a row, then I start missing and struggle for the next 8-10. The clouds moved in or the angle of the sun changes.

With the lights, it's always the same. I've been on boats with guys where nobody misses in 15-20 shots each. Only depth causes aimpoint changes. However when we hunt with lights at night we are almost always in shallow flats 1-2 feet deep. then if you change to 2-4 foot deep areas the misses increase until you see where to aim again.

My son struggled for the whole season last year trying to stick a carp. This year in the 15-20" deep water he nails them one after another. However he has never hit one 3 feet deep or more,..... not yet!

By the way, I also shoot a compound bow for fishing, but it has no wheels! Oneida Osprey.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hunting, fishing, longbow, 3D and indoor spots all both eyes open.

Outdoor FITA and Field at long range one eye.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well good, it's not just me then!

I really figured I was some kind of freak with the both eyes or one eye issue. I'm glad to hear others do this as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both eyes open for me also - helps with the 3D image and range estimation also. Only reason not to would be if you are cross eye dominant and even then switching hands would be better in most cases.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recurve...both open, can't hit anything otherwise.

Compound, I go back and forth, for no tangible reason. I thought I was strange...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both eyes open for 50 yds. or less ,one eye for greater than 50.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
so it is normal!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe. I try to shoot with both eyes open but find myself squinting or closing my left eye sometimes, particularly when trying hard (right eye dominant). Found out a couple years ago that my eyes had become almost neutral dominant and the left eye was trying to take over. And man, will that mess up your trap shooting until you figure it out! Have seen the same thing when coaching kids at trap who I knew were near neutral dominant. A little bit of frosted tape in the right spot on shooting glasses, just big enough to discourage the off eye, works well if it's causing you problems. But it only bothers me with shotguns. Or maybe it's just the situation that causes that habit to appear.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are supposed to do it with both open. Closing one dilates the other as they compensate for each other. Dilating is generally not good for accuracy.

But I'm also speaking about utmost accuracy.

For shooting in dim light which is VERY common for us, both eyes open sure seems to help, though dilating a pupil I would think would help more....

For me, when i'm shooting a LOT, I shoot both eyes open. All the time. Lately in the last 10 years I've shot maybe 10 shots before bow season, and then I prefer to close the non aiming eye just because it feels like I"ll have less error.

I still shoot rifles with both eyes open all the time though. its an old competition habit I can't break.

You do have to make sure you have eye dominance under control and covered though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot recurves. Both eyes open obviously.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both open with my traditional bows, shotguns, and rifles.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both open for me.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I close my dominant eye (left) because I shoot right handed. I always have since I was about 5. I shoot a recurve, pistol, shotgun and rifle that way with no problems. The couple times I've shot a compound with sights I closed it too. Probably should have learned lefty but I shoot fine this way.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot both eyes open out to 50 yards then I squint my non dominant eye after that.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JJHACK
so it is normal!

Jim, there is nothing normal about you! laugh

I shoot both eyes open, but I don't use sights, peeps or wheels. God gave use binocular vision for a reason. To judge yardage!

Seen over the years guys and gals having to close one eye. Normally because they are switch eye or off dominate eye. Nothing wrong with it at all...just makes it harder to let your natural instincts assist in your shooting.

Last edited by Wild_Bill_375; 05/31/13. Reason: Can't spell!
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well that may be so.............. but I am really trying to fit in

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jim,
I was just messing with you!

One other thing I'd like to add is I see a lot of folks closing one eye when their body position is closed. Chest 90 degrees from target. With folks that have a more open stance, 45 degrees, they tend to have both eyes open.

Which is correct? Heck I don't know...but I prefer a more open stance. That could answer some why they feel more comfortable with using one or both eyes.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously I'm trying to fit in, but I know your intentions were good!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya don't fit in... its not a fashion show, its what works best and or what works best for you!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm a both eyes open type. I don't if that serves any useful purpose though.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Both open!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,671
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.