Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I replaced my fixed 4x power scope on it with a VX-II 2x7x33 and unfortunately the leupold is shorter than my other scope and will require a new mount. Any suggestions? My current mount is a weaver base with weaver rings and the slots where the rings fit are too far apart for the scope to sit correctly (scope is too short or base ring spacing is too far apart)

Unfortunately I was laid off a week ago so I just need something that is solid and works. This is my brush gun.

Last edited by lewdogg21; 04/29/13.
GB1

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Brownells
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=marlin+336+base&ksubmit=y

I think I will go with this base as it gives me flexibility on my weaver ring mount locations.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...ses/marlin-1895-336-mount-prod44623.aspx

I just don't want to doink this as I can't go down and buy it over the counter near me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
FWIW: I put these on my 1895 with a Leupold VX-1 1.5-5x20 and will probably get another pair for the 336 in .35 Remmy that's about to show up at my FFL. The reason that I like them is that you can vary the way you mount them to shrink or grow the distance between the rings.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou.../light-weight-scope-mount-prod17207.aspx

Part Number 930336 fits the 336 and 1895.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have used a file edge to cut new grooves in existing Weaver bases. Just do not expect it to be a two minute job. That aluminum is not soft. If you have a file of the correct width, your only cost is a little time. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is a little NcStar 2-6 a scope I put on a Marlin 94 that I restocked to get rid of that God awful fat forearm.
I used the method JT402 used to modify a Weaver base.

This is a small $50 scope and you don't need a $200+ scope on a rifle with 150 yard range or less capability. To long a scope on these actions will result in an unstable mount cantilevered out there.

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saddlesore,,, that forearm is a huge improvement!
Did you replace or modify the original?

Thanks,,, and sorry for the hi-jack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold and Talley Extra Low rings/mounts

Find me on MO under Jpickar or Oz.

Talley started making these mounts after "jake" (me) started a thread asking for people to call Talley and ask for extra lows. They make them but so far you can only get them directly from Talley. They will give you a Military discount also.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/11/13.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Millett offers sculpted bases and engraved rings if you're wanting to jazz up your rifle.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Keep the Weaver base and have somebody with a milling machine cut new cross-slots for you. Also, buy yourself a set of Warne rings.

I have Leupold 2-7x33s on my 336SD in 356 and its brother, a 336SC in 307. Both are in Weaver bases and Warne QR rings, with the bases cut short to allow for a Lyman or Redfield QR peep sight to be swapped out for the scope.

If you're a Marlin 336 fan, you might enjoy reading Marshall Stanton's monographs on the 336 at www.beartoothbullets.com.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cutting the slot on the Weaver base is not all that hard. All you need it for is clearance for the cross screw. It does nothing to affect the rigidity of the rings( I guess you could cut it way to big).

Put rear the ring on your scope. set it on the base, and mark the base where you want the screw to go across from the front ring.
Remove scope,use a square to mark both sides of the base for both edges of the slot you want to cut. Then use a Dremel cut off tool w/disc cut two slots on the inner side of the two marks you made for the slot. Once those two narrow slots are cut, you can use the Dremel to work out the metal between them down to the flat of the base.
Polish up with a cratex wheel, color black with a magic marker and you are set. Once your scope is mounted, you cannot see your handy work at all.

You can also do this with a metal cutting blade in a coping saw, a fine hacksaw or even a file. The esthetics are only defined by how handy you are. Cripes, you are only talking about $6 if you ruin the base.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Warne 1 or 2 piece bases will shorten the distance between rings. Both move the front ring rearward when compared to a Weaver base.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I didn't even think of cutting the existing weaver base. I ended up ordering a weaver/picatanny style rail where I have max flexibility to shift the rings around. As far as the VX-II, I had an old weaver K6 on there until two seasons ago I was hunting in some inclement weather and the scope fogged up internally which I didn't realize until I had a deer at 30 yards and I couldn't make it out. I found a great deal on this scope here on 24 hrs classifieds and now that rifle is set for life.

Thanks for the replies guys.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You're gonna like that VX-II on there. I have a VX-II 2-7x33 with #4 reticle on my 336 in .35 Rem. Like this combo a lot.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by magshooter1
You're gonna like that VX-II on there. I have a VX-II 2-7x33 with #4 reticle on my 336 in .35 Rem. Like this combo a lot.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I previously had a fixed 4x40 buckmasters but wanted something with a little lower end since I hunt in areas where its really thick but can open up to 200 yards.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep,

Lat two deer taken with mine were both shot on 2x. I have given serious consideration to going with the Leupy 2.5x fixed. But then I think nah.....

Last edited by magshooter1; 05/16/13.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This one is on ebay for $8 shipped.

[Linked Image]

Or this option (I did not find any Lows though), about 12 bucks:
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I did get that picatanny rail but the screws were too long so I ordered a Leupold rifleman weaver base which works great.

If anybody needs a marlin 336 weaver rail or picatanny rail I'll dump them cheap and I have screws for both.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, the Leupold rifleman base has an extra slot.

By the way, screws can be shortened.

My first recommendation to cut an extra slot in the Weaver was based upon my frugal nature. Perhaps I have the wrong wheels, but the Dremmel is not something that I am good with. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.