Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7785101 06/01/13
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just picked one of these up and am very pleased with it. The factory furniture is very cheap and I replaced the buttstock with a Magpul ACS after ordering a Magpul MOE handguard. Now the only thing I need is mags. The 5 rd factory mag does not always feed from the left column. That is my only complaint.

I mounted a 1-4 Leupold that I had in a Burris PEPR mount and went to the range. I bore sighted it at 50 yards and fired a 3 shot group of old 180gr roundnose factory. They measured about 1 1/4" at 50 yards. After adjusting the scope I fired a 3 shot group at 100yards using old 152gr military bullets, that were pulled with pliers over a load of AA-4064. This was just crappy blasting ammo that I put together quick, but the group measured 3/4". I could not get another group as good, but most had 2 holes nearly touching and the third was within 1.5". Not bad for a first outing. I have to do some work on the trigger, it seems worse than mil-spec.

Anybody else have more experience with these? I swapped out the 1-4 for a 3.5-10 so that may help. I also will try more load development with virgin bullets.

Mike

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
can I ask what they are getting for them?

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I picked one up earlier this year, and finally ran a few rounds through it for function last weekend. Shot OK with the factory magazine and the 20 round Pmag.

Couple of points on the Smith, it is NOT DPMS compatable. The upper pin lugs are longer on the Smith than the DPMS rifles. The Smith upper will not close on a DPMS lower without some fitting, I believe the rear lug is wider to prevent the installation. I don't know what the gap would be between upper and lower, we didn't go that far once the rear lug clearance was identified.

A DPMS upper would close to about 30 degrees, maybe a bit less, then you could feel the metal on metal bind of the shorter DMPS lug against the Smith lower. The upper would not close any further with out forcing it.

Agreed, the factory furniture is utility grade, and nothing more. I make a similiar swap to the Magpul in OD Green.

I'd like to swap the gas block "block", but it's same sight plain and functional as is. The Magpul handguards cover enough of it to be less "block-ish". I don't why it brothers me, maybe the square lines remind me of unfinished work...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I picked one up earlier this year, and finally ran a few rounds through it for function last weekend. Shot OK with the factory magazine and the 20 round Pmag.

Couple of points on the Smith, it is NOT DPMS compatable. The upper pin lugs are longer on the Smith than the DPMS rifles. The Smith upper will not close on a DPMS lower without some fitting, I beleive the rear lug is wider to prevent the installation. I don't know what the gap would be between upper and lower, we didn't go that far once the rear lug clearance was identified.

A DPMS upper would close to about 30 degrees, maybe a bit less, then you could feel the metal on metal bind of the shorter DMPS lug against the Smith lower. The upper would not close any further with out forcing it.

Agreed, the factory furniture is utility grade, and nothing more. I make a similiar swap to the Magpul in OD Green.

I'd like to swap the gas block "block", but it's same sight plain and functional as is. The Magpul handguards cover enough of it to be less "block-ish". I don't why it brothers me, maybe the square lines remind me of unfinished work...

Sounds like a cheap gun like the DPMS sporticle. Unless they are going for well under $1000, I don't see the advantage of buying one. confused

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes, on the parts noted above...however, the rifle comes with a ambi-safety, ambi-bolt release, and ambi-magazine release already installed. All are first rate parts, and seem to function well so far.

The upper has a shell deflector, and the forward assist.

The gas block, while "clunky", is same sight plain, no screwing around with different sight heights for front and rear. The barrel is 18 inches vs 16, with the mid-length gas system in a light contour.

Street price here one a SW10 is running about $1250, if you actually take the time and look for one. The DPMS Oracle is the closest to the Smith, feacture-wise, and a bit cheaper but you'd have to add some parts to get the same equipped level.

Since most folks in the AR market swap the buttstock and the handguards, I don't think it was a bad move on their part to provide functional items before the next level price increase.

This is not a "Smith is the best" rant, just commenting that you get some decent features for the price point, and you don't pay extra for parts you are going swap out. JMO.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
dmsbandit can't see past RR...

I'm glad to see the trend going back to light weight barrels. The standard furniture is a smart thing to do as noted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
dmsbandit can't see past RR...

I'm glad to see the trend going back to light weight barrels. The standard furniture is a smart thing to do as noted.

Well,
For $250 more my LAR-8 Predator came with

....a free floated aluminum handguard

....20" air gauged cryogenically treated factory lapped barrel [no fouling and no break in needed]

....2 stage match trigger

....winter trigger guard

....life time warranty

....factory rifle case

....ambi bolt release

....ambi mag release

....use FAL inch or metric mags

....forward assist

....dust cover

....Hogue pistol grip

....1 MOA guarantee
and shoots like this whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So yes, you can say I'm stuck on Rock River's products. wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 36 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.