Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
For years have wanted a Winchester Model 1894 Belgian Congo SRC, of which a batch of about 200 were made around 1913. Collectable n' usually pricey. So finally made my own version using an early Rossi Model '92 SRC. While visiting a friend's shop, was allowed the use of a milling machine, for inletting the wood. Mauser style butt swivels were used, modifying the front swivel by cutting off the rear screw hole/reshaping the metal. NOTE: the forearm wood is of two elevations: lower wood where the barrel band slides on; higher on the main forearm wood. When cutting/shaping the rear of the butt swivel, metal up close to the loop ring will be the same elevation as the main forearm wood - meaning it will be level with the wood surface. The factory front metal (with screw hole that goes underneath the barrel band) will be the same level as the front forearm wood. All comes out with a clean installation.

Why go to the trouble? For the comfort of carrying the carbine over the left shoulder, barrel down (some call this the African carry). The carbine lays flat against the left side of your back (when slung over the left shoulder, for a right hand shooter), or will lay flat across you back if you choose to go galloping across the plains with it slung angled across your back, or carried in this position when riding a 4-wheeler (they eat less hay) or a snow machine in winter.

With the carbine slung over your left shoulder, barrel down, your left hand naturally comes to rest holding the forearm tip/magazine-barrel area. When you want to take a shot, merely bring your left hand up n' outwards while twisting the carbine, and you'll find this places the carbine to your right hand and seems to jump right onto your right shoulder. You really need to experience this method to truly appreciate how handy n' comfortable it is. Those who have carried an M1 carbine slung over their shoulder in the field will understand. Also, over 8 million military Mauser rifles had a reason for slinging a rifle this way, ya think?

Since having mounted the side sling on this .357 SRC have duplicated the mounting on a Rossi .45 Colt SRC; one Model 1894 .38-55 (someone's re-bore from a Post-64 Model 94 .30-30 - cant' hurt any collectable status on that one!!); and two Ruger #3 carbines (I've a few #3's, and a few extra sets of wood stocks). On the Ruger #3 forearm attachment, no wood was inlet or cut, I modified an aftermarket Ruger 10/22 side sling barrel band mount. That's for another Forum post, or if you really want to know, message me, k'.

Hope you enjoy this post, it's been a fun and most rewarding experience.
best of regards to all,
outsidebear

Attached Images
Rossi '92 side slong .357 001.JPG (58.96 KB, 4135 downloads)
Rossi '92 side slong .357 002.JPG (27.59 KB, 715 downloads)
Rossi '92 side slong .357 003.JPG (75.53 KB, 2883 downloads)
Rossi '92 side slong .357 004.JPG (39.48 KB, 1569 downloads)
Rossi '92 side slong .357 005.JPG (45.51 KB, 1453 downloads)

Do good out there...
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Interesting project and post. I'm assuming that the sling so situated keeps the rifle in place on your shoulder better than the normally placed sling swivels? I ask because I've never had an issue carrying "african" with conventionally places sling swivels. I typically keep my left hand on the handguard so maybe that's why I don't have a problem. Most folks can get a shot of with a carbine from that position faster than they can draw and fire a handgun, after they've practiced it a bit.

Another option to achieve similar results would be to use Pachmeyer hammerhead swivels, like Cooper specced on the Steyr Scout.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Take a knee: Your assumption is correct - the side of the carbine rests flat against the back of the left shoulder, in that kind-of-a-hollow-spot (this isn't easy to write an explanation for) and seems to nestle in that hollow. Thus the carbine carries with better stability. Think of a 1"x4" board: set on a table top with the 1" side down - it's easy to tip over = sling swivels mounted on bottom stocks. Now place the 4" side down - better stability = sling swivels mounted on side of stock.

With the standard way of mounting sling swivels on the bottom of the butt stock and forearm, you now have the narrowness of the carbine/rifle resting against your body = the carbine/rifle tends to flop back-n-forth sideways as you walk n' move about.

With the sling mounted on the side, the flatness rests against the body = hardly any sideways movement. For 'me' it is more stable and comfortable with the sling mounted on the side. The carbine tends to become a part of you with your movements while walking.

I've looked at (and have) the Pachmayr button sling swivel bases, haven't installed 'em yet(that's what old Ruger 10/22 wood stocks are for, projects!). They will work fine on the side of the butt stock, though not enough depth of wood for side mounting on the forearm of a lever action. Another option is Uncle Mike's flush mounted sling swivels. Plenty of wood in the butt stock, but not enough depth of wood in the forearm. So, use an Uncle Mike's barrel band for the front swivel - it will have to be modified some to be able to mount sideways, a few minutes with a file will take care of that.

The next Rossi '92 I acquire shall receive the Uncle Mike's flush mount and barrel band swivels being used for side mounting. An added feature using the Uncle Mike's sling swivel mounts is quick on/off of the sling. Pachmayr button swivel mount for the butt stock and a barrel band for up front would also work.

I could have used the Pachmayr/Uncle Mikes swivels, I elected (nostalgia mostly) to go with modified Mauser sling swivels. Why? They are nostalgic with duplicating what Winchester had at one time used on the Belgian Congo Model 1894 carbine!

I've modern rifles, but a few oldies as well. When I do some serious caving or kayaking, a Glock 20 goes with me. Yet, when I'm out woods loafing, you'll find a 2nd Gen Colt SAA .44 Spcl.; a big old Colt New Service; or a S&W .44 mag Mountain Gun accompanying me. Modern & nostalgic - I like 'em both. Using the reworked Mauser side swivel setup is just something I wanted to do, and it came out much better than I'd at first thought it would.

Attached Images

Do good out there...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,258 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.