Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ofcourse ive seen it on newstands forever and occationally picked up a copy.....what is everyones opinion of it? never hear much about it.....recently picked up 30 of them from 85-91 off an auction site for less than a buck each shipped and since im always on the look out for new firearms related reading i thought what the hell....

flipping through a few i noticed that these are doing the time when our own sharpsguy was the knife/blade editor for the magazine....having met Bill at the hog hunt i cant imagine he would throw his lot in with a bunch of guys not worth the time....

Last edited by rattler; 06/20/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Used to take it, had some decent info in it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Subscribed back in the 80s and 90s. Was a good source for world news back then.

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/20/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure TRH will chime in...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Haven't read it since early eighties. I remember the donation drive to buy a bullet to kill a commie for mommy. There use to be some hardcore stuff in the magazine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to see it over here from time to time..

Odd good article, but mostly seemed to be aimed at the "Wannabe's"..

The pics seemed to show guys in fatigues, complete with "Magnum" 'taches, but were somehow more "Village People" than ex-USMC or similar..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always figured back in the day (prior to the internet) subscribing to Soldier of Fortune magazine was a quick way to get a file with your name on it in the FBI

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm sure TRH will chime in...

He is the editor don't you know?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
I always figured back in the day (prior to the internet) subscribing to Soldier of Fortune magazine was a quick way to get a file with your name on it in the FBI

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

That made me grin!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet Jorge would have posted that when someone said something about the government listening to everyone's phone calls and flying drones around to spy on them.

That's what he waits for - to discredit someone with his vast knowledge of how things actually are.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/20/13.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
"...

Odd good article, but mostly seemed to be aimed at the "Wannabe's"..

The pics seemed to show guys in fatigues, complete with "Magnum" 'taches, but were somehow more "Village People" than ex-USMC or similar..

When I lived in Los Angeles, I had a good friend who had been a Marine in a recon platoon, serving in Vietnam. He was wounded twice. After his service, he later became a successful documentary producer in L.A.

He told me he went to one of the SoF conventions in Las Vegas, thinking he might run into some former Marines he knew. I believe it was the second or third one they put on.

He said he was wearing a nice sport coat, button down shirt, slacks, polished shoes, etc. Everyone there was wearing cammies and most were overweight, and far too young to have been in Vietnam. The few he talked to had not even been in the military but were sporting all the "wannabee" accessories.

My friend said it was a farce. He never went to another SoF Conventon. He did say he won several hundred dollars at the Blackjack tables so the trip was not a total loss. wink

I didn't know SoF was still in business.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Magazine was sued in the 80's for running a classified ad for the completion of "high risk assignments", which turned out to include murder for hire. Can't remember how it turned out, but the readership was likely stereotyped pretty quick.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet Jorge would have posted that when someone said something about the government listening to everyone's phone calls and flying drones around to spy on them.

That's what he waits for - to discredit someone with his vast knowledge of how things actually are.

Do you normally pause and think before responding? (rhetorical question). BTW, where is the proof of the government actually listening to ALL of our conversations or the FBI's list of SOF subscribers? (source please). Snowdon's apparently been remiss in providing that.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
these older ones are more interesting than the couple of new ones ive picked up in the last 10 years.....course part of thats prolly cause i met Bill a few months ago so reading his articles is interesting and then there is the stuff on the Soviets in Afghanistan so thats interesting given the context of today.....seems alot more on firearms and focusing on different military groups world wide than "hey look what i did" articles that ive seen in newer editions....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do you normally pause and think before responding? (rhetorical question).

I can't compete with that wit

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

if thats the case why are you on this site......if they are keeping lists this site is near as good as any for getting your name on a list....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heck, from the looks of some posters here, they are creating their own list of names to send to the government.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read a few in the 80's. All I remember is the pictures of dead people with horrendous wounds and the publisher's little sojourn to Afghanistan fighting alongside the people we are now fighting against. Back then they were known as mujahideen.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never saw a copy. But I love my memory of how it came about and what it soon became.

The guy who started it suggested it to my boss, who sneered at him and impolitely told him to get lost. The guy went ahead on his own � got the backing that he needed and produced a magazine that soon far out-stripped ours in paid circulation.

A later colleague of mine pretty accurately described my boss as "equal parts idiot and ass hole."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.