Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't fed the trolls lately, so here you go (bcd) get what makes you happy. LOL

GB1

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Smith I am not a troll and your on report!> I treat you with respect> so you should TO!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'too'. meaning also.....

See? I was right.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .22 WMR is not legal in the CT state forests. The most powerful rifle allowed is the .17 HMR.

Thus I bought a .17 HMR (CZ 455) and found it to be quite accurate with more range that the .22 LR.

The .22 Mags we have are nice guns but either not legal or the centerfires have more range.

Here is a handsome .22 WMR.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was after I bought my WMR that I learned the mammoths were extinct. -sigh-

Haven't blooded the .17 yet...but I will. Might start a pool to find out how big a pig has to be to be BB proof. Zimmers are a riot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The 22 mag has a very limited use, it is not as accurate as a 22LR, nor a .17HMR. The ammo is expensive as well. More than 17HMR in my parts. Nothing against them, but I don't see the need as I have a Quad with 22LR and 17HMR barrels.

I have and hunt with all three rounds. I would be interested in hearing the limited uses of the 22 mag in relation to either the .17 or the .22lr. Not only through my own overall personal experience, but I know of quite a few coyotes that would disagree with you as well.

Your position is not only contradictory, but a prime example as to the validity of the argument that most have against the 22mag. First you state that they are of limited use, subpar accuracy, and to expensive, but yet you then go on to state you have nothing against them(?).

It seems since you already have a .22lr and a .17hmr and "see no need personally" for the .22mag, then the reason must lie in the short comings of the round itself.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Right on Tndrbstr! This is what I find in a lot of posters and na sayers. My Gun will be coming in soon then I will find out how good the 22 mag is. But Im old school ,weight of a bullet kills better then speed! You dont need much weight to kill paper and pretty little hole to show your friends.

Last edited by bcd; 06/22/13.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Don't know about haters but for me the .22 mag has always suffered from higher ammo costs because it is always compared cost wise to the .22 LR. It probably should be compared more with the Hornet or something. I didn't have one for years but have had a couple for a few years now because of TN predator hunting laws that preclude use of a centerfire during a portion of the year. I do like them better than I 'thought' I would. And I don't care for the .17 HMR much.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
But if you can get weight and speed together!!!! thats why I went for the 22 mag . As I said I cant talk to much before I put the mag through some real life tests.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
Don't know about haters but for me the .22 mag has always suffered from higher ammo costs because it is always compared cost wise to the .22 LR. It probably should be compared more with the Hornet or something. I didn't have one for years but have had a couple for a few years now because of TN predator hunting laws that preclude use of a centerfire during a portion of the year. I do like them better than I 'thought' I would. And I don't care for the .17 HMR much.

I bought the .17hmr with much anticipation. I found out pretty quick that it is a in between caliber for me. Over kill on the squirrels and rabbits and under gunned on the coyotes. But it sure is FUN to shoot ground hogs with tho! Or just fun to shoot in general as far as that goes.

I did realize pretty quick there is a lot of difference in just the 3 grns of weight between the hmr 17 and 20 grn pills when shooting coyotes.
The polymer tips are just about useless in coyote sized animals imo, as well as the meat recovery business.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've owned and shot a number of .22 Magnums, but aside from one custom rifle and one heavy-barreled factory rifle they have never shot as accurately as the average .17 HMR--or any accurate .22 Long Rifle.

But so what? A .22 Magnum is far more effective than the .22 Long Rifle on animals bigger than prairie dogs, and somewhat more effective than the .17 HMR.

Yeah, a .22 LR or .17 HMR will kill animals like jackrabbits, chucks, etc., but on average the .22 Magnum will kill 'em more impressively and further away, despite not shooting quite as accurately, because you don't need pinpoint placement to kill 10-pound animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm not a big fan of 22WMR because I could hand load a box of 22 Hornet cheaper than buying a box of 22WMR. The hornet of course exceeds the performance of the 22WMR in every respect, so why spend the money for less.

All that being said, I've got some pretty rifles and an ugly PMR30 that will shoot the 22WMR pretty well if need be.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Allen917
I'm not a big fan of 22WMR because I could hand load a box of 22 Hornet cheaper than buying a box of 22WMR. The hornet of course exceeds the performance of the 22WMR in every respect, so why spend the money for less.

Hunting regulations are the biggest difference. Center fire vs rim fire.
But just recently our state regulations were finally set to accommodate center fires into varmit hunting.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, when politics gets involved, common sense has no place.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Allen917,

I always find statements like this interesting. No doubt the .22 Hornet is more cartridge than the .22 Magnum, but with even the cheapest jacketed bullets (right now around $14 per 100) it costs just about as much to handload the Hornet as buy .22 Magnum for $10 a 50-round box--and in normal times that's what it can be found for.

Then there's the time spent handloading. If you discount that, whether because you're retired or just like to do it, then you break even. If not, the .22 Magnum is cheaper to shoot--and it comes in rifles the Hornet doesn't, whether "affordable" bolt actions or levers, pumps and semi-autos.

I'm a big fan of the Hornet, but still find plenty of uses for a .22 Magnum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by Allen917

Hunting regulations are the biggest difference. Center fire vs rim fire.
But just recently our state regulations were finally set to accommodate center fires into varmit hunting.

Same here. In the last 7-8 years our local WMA's have started having hog problems. I have often considered getting a 22 mag just so I could hunt hogs during squirrel season.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You are right now days. But I was using 223 46 Gr. bullets that I paid about $5/ hundred for. Good ole Hornady and Speer, with a few Sierra's thrown in when I wanted to splurge on a expensive bullet.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bcd: I have owned a bunch of 22 Magnums and 22 Specials over the past several decades and indeed "they" are not much better than todays peppy loads in a 22 L.R.!
I currently own both 22 Magnum Rifles and 22 Magnum pistols and they very rarely come out of my gun vaults anymore - the reasons are manifold!
But to simplify what you touched on in your original posting the 17 HMR (in both Rifles and pistols!) is so far superior to the 22 Magnum that for the same money a shooter is WAY ahead going with the 17 HMR!
The 17 HMR is not only superior in trajectory and wind bucking ability (both of which means better accuracy afield and at the range!) but it is also MORE accurate and MORE lethal than any of the 22 Magnums/Specials!
Among knowledgeable shooters/small game Hunters/Varmint Hunters indeed they virtually unanimously prefer the 17 HMR over the 22 Magnum.
If that constitutes "hatred" in your mind then so be it - there are a lot of 22 Magnum "haters" out there - and they have good reason.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd say the 17 HMR is a more perfected round for gophers, PDs, crows etc, with less ricochet hazards. Where the 22 Mag with bullets from 25gr up to 50 gr has more overall versatility.

I had a Win 94 22Mag I let go long ago.....dumb move. Lately I've been mulling either another 22Mag, or a 17 HMR. I think they are both winners.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bcd
Smith I am not a troll and your on report!> I treat you with respect> so you should TO!!

listen jerk,if you are that thin skinned then i suggest you go else where.and if you dont like this statment put me on report.you have been whinning and sniveling here about people treating you bad,well pack sand and go schitt on people some where else.you bring up some of the wierdest crap around.now,go run and snitch on me!ill even send you my full name to make sure you get it right.

Last edited by sandpit; 06/22/13.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

359 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 41 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,383
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.