Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going to get a 20 gauge in the next few months. I'm drawn to both the Beretta and Benelli for different reasons. It will just be an all around hunting gun and possibly a few skeet just for practice.

It won't have to be used around water or inclement weather. I have a 12 ga Beretta ES 100 Pintail for that. My other good shotgun, except for a couple single barrels, is a Merkel model 8 in 12 ga.

I've looked into both and handled both but not gone into extensive research. Is there anything that makes one the better choice, not considering the price difference?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Besides being at complete ends of the spectrum? The only thing they have in common is the 20ga part.

Benelli) Light, fast, more shots, solid operating system.

Beretta) Heavier, slower, less shots, solid action.

Both are great guns that if taken care of should last you a lifetime and some.

How big or small are you? What is your shotgun shooting experiance? What is your preferred shooting method?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
sep Offline
S
I've owned both an M2 20 gauge and a silver pigeon II 20 gauge. I sold the Benelli simply because I enjoyed shooting the SP II more. I typically hunt grouse and rabbits with the 20 gauge and enjoy the SP II for those purposes. If I had intended to also hunt waterfowl with a 20 gauge I would have chosen the Benelli. Either way you win! They're both great shotguns.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Besides being at complete ends of the spectrum? The only thing they have in common is the 20ga part.

Benelli) Light, fast, more shots, solid operating system.

Beretta) Heavier, slower, less shots, solid action.

Both are great guns that if taken care of should last you a lifetime and some.

How big or small are you? What is your shotgun shooting experiance? What is your preferred shooting method?

I know they are completely different guns. I like the feel of both and like different aspects about both. My experience is fairly limited in just dove and quail hunting and I have broke 100 skeet a few times with different guns. I don't know a thing about shooting methods.

Basically, I wanted to know if there is any down side to either other than one wood and one synthetic for inclement weather.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Basically, I wanted to know if there is any down side to either other than one wood and one synthetic for inclement weather.

Yes they both have their ups and downs, as I listed already. A lot of what is a plus or minus depends on you the owner. If you are a strong guy then the benelli may become hard for you to handle causing you to whip thru targets. But if you are going out west to hunt Chukar then that light gun might be worth a couple missed birds. If dove is the mainstay for the gun and you can control the Benelli it has more shots avaible to you.

If you are a swing thru shooter then you are going to typically have more barrel travel. The more movement your barrel needs is going to make controling a light gun that much harder.

Both are excelent guns it really comes down to you. Or if money isn't a facture then buy both. If you favor one over the other you can sell it. If not you have two very nice 20ga shotguns.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I suppose I'm more of a point shooter rather than swing through shooter. I've always thought my swing through was something that needed work.

The money difference isn't a deciding factor but I doubt budget will allow for both. Maybe I can get somewhere that I can shoot both guns rather than just handling them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Either way they are both great guns. It really comes down to what type action you want. What fits you the best. Then which feels best for you when shooting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both right now and both are 20 ga.

The only time I use the 686 is when I hunt sage chickens with a bunch of friends and want to look cool.

For everything else including skeet I use the M2. I love it! I converted over from A5's.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Reba
So, other than looks, do you actually like the M2 better? I think that's what you said.

Isn't the weight about the same?

Could you get on a flushed bird just as fast with the M2? Does the M2 swing just as good for you?

They both feel good to me in the store but actual shooting and hunting would tell a lot more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like both. For an all around gun I'd have to say M2, but it's close.2 reasons, the 3rd shot can come in handy and benelli service is better if you need it. I hunt with doubles but often prefer a semi for some types of hunting. If you do go with the beretta though the good news is they're built well enough that you likely won't need their customer service which is almost nonexistent. However Cole's can pretty much take care of any beretta issue.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's all preference, but gotta tell you, the o/u trumps that M2 every time to me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.