Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TooTall Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I was wonder if any campfire guy trap Wolves? I'm going to next year.

Too Tall
Thompson Falls Montana
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
No wolves here in PA (yet..)Surely some of our Alaskan and Canadian brothers will be chiming in on this one! I would say just set for them like B...I...G Coyotes. From what I have read you'll need some xtra heavy duty #4's or bigger. Can you snare or use cable restraints in Montana? I would think they would be your best bet if you gang set on trails leading to a kill like a dead elk or moose. Good luck , hope you get one and if you do , post us a pic!

Last edited by PA_trapper; 06/24/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have tried before. MB750W's are your friends if you can't use snares. I would try pee posts. Set up a few hundred yards away from a kill and they will find it, especially on the downwind side.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
How much and what kind of chain do you usually add on to it? Do you stake your traps or use a hook?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine have 10ft of heavy chain, with 2 MB wolf swivels added at intervals with their J-hooks welded. I normally bolt the chain around a nearby tree.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the same amount of chain, and swivels as above, but use drags a lot of the time. Some of my sets are in the open space.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've used drags on coyotes almost exclusively. It seems if they have a little room to run away they don't tend to chew off the caught limb like a coon. A bundler chain bolted to a tree with a lag bolt seem like a good option though especially when stepping up on critter size. Thanks on the info FishinHank & 4100fps.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your slip(and lack of coyote trapping experience) is showing.....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Never said I was an expert at trapping coyote dipchit. Tis why I'm inquiring from folks who know. I've been trapping yotes for about 2 years and have caught my fair share bumbling through it. I merely trap them and coons to help out the bird population and other small game. It's a pursuit I do to take care of things while I'm not around. Do share your expert knowledge as a greens keeper though. Nice try stalking. Do you really want me to make a little project out of you. Now leave this mans thread alone and go away with your Larrytude.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the best ways of trapping them, and of getting one with a really nice prime fur on it, is to snare them in the middle of the winter when the snow is as deep as its going to get.

Wolves are free rangers, traveling relatively long routes, but those routes are regular, and if you have patience they will come back - quite often on their very same trail they used the last time.

A few well placed snares on these trails are a good bet. You need patience though.

And if you cannot use snares, then use a good strong trap (newhouse 14 if you can find them) underneath their tracks.
Don't disturb the track. Dig underneath the track from the side, and get the pan of the trap just underneath the old track. Then very carefully hide all evidence that you were ever there. Fill in your tracks with snow and brush them off so it looks like you were never there. But make sure to make some kind of mark someplace so you can find your traps later. Again, patience is the key.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I trap lots of them and host serious wolf trapping courses every year. A combination of snares & traps are best. ( if legal in your area) Stay away from the smaller cheaper traps like the MB750 if you are serious.......they will catch wolves but you will lose some too......then you have an educated wolf. The Alaskan #9 and the Sterling 800 are the way to go. Good Luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a buy who has caught lots of wolves, many. This is in predator sets. The common trap is an MB-750 & usually some beaver bait. At times just a 'blind set', private property old woods road.

These traps are hooked to an 8' chain with a stout 2 prong drag. Usually critters head for cover & are soon tangled up. If need be, most any hunting dog will follow the scent trail to the catch.

Look at WI statistics, more wolves were trapped than shot during the last season.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Some guys up here use the 750 too, because it is cheap, but often find the trap in pieces.......I had a big female bite clean through the spring on a Brawn #9 last year. I got there just in time. The big advantage to the bigger traps ( other than their strength) is their ability to punch up through snow.....the 750s just wont do it......plus its easier to get a wolf to step in a 9-inch circle than it is a 7.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yukon we don't get the snow here in SE that you get over your way, and the wolves are a lot smaller too. smile

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The Alaskan #9 was developed by an Alaskan because he was having trouble with the smaller traps smile Have a quick look at the WI stats you will see that the vast majority of wolves trapper were the young of the year ( small wolves)....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a wolf actually bit through a spring on a trap I would be questioning the quality of the steel used for that spring on that trap.

Wolves are powerful animals, but you don't want traps so big that you end up breaking the leg bone on the wolf. You want a just above the pad catch with a very strong quality trap, or a good snare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We run about 60% snare catch and 40% traps. Most of the trapped wolves have been in #9's but just last year 2 visited sets intended for wolverine and 1 was in a 600 Sterling and another in a #14 jump. [Linked Image]This wolf also had a snare on him so he couldn't escape![Linked Image][Linked Image]Big Guy in a #9!

I tend to use more than enough gun
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've clubbed female yotes and young ones, but I use a 22 pistol on the males.

What do you guys shoot them with?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
22lr pistol in a trap or snare (if they are still alive),,I hunt them with whatever is in my hands ay the time!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have not trapped wolves, but have a friend that did for the Fed in the UP of Michigan. Nephew to a friend of mine drew a permit this year and caught his the second day. He is one happy lad! Here is a picture of it. It is a cell phone pic and I had to trim it down a bunch to get it downloaded.

Attached Images
ResizedImage_1382032790955.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.