Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Long story here so bear with me, but I have used Hornady One Shot for the last 20 years with great results up until yesterday. I was sizing some 280ai and some 300 RUM cases for load work on them. I have always used Hornady 1 shot since I started reloading and over the 20 years I have stuck 2 cases. Yesterday I went to do some resizing for the 280ai and I stuck a case. They seemed a little hard on the first two but I didn't give it much thought. On the third one I stuck a case. OK, I tell myself, this happens. So in my struggles I end up with case neck separation with the neck still stuck in the case.

I am a little agitated but I decide to resize the 300 RUM as I had planned on it anyway. I do my usual routine of spraying them with the one shot. I wait a few minutes and set up the sizing die while I wait. After 10-15 minutes I get to work on the RUM cases. Again, they feel harder than they should be. I do three and then on the fourth I stick one in the die and pull off the rim. I get the case out with my homemade stuck case remover. I decide to give it another go. After doing one I end up sticking the third case of the day. By this time I am pretty irritated and I get it out. I give up at this point and decide to give up for the day. Well, by the end of the day this is eating at me as I have only stuck two cases in 20 years and now I have three in one day in two different cartridges. So I get out a set of spare RCBS 300 RUM dies and see what happens. I get three or four more done and then....you guessed it, another stuck case.

I email Redding and Hornady to ask if redding can fix my 280ai die and see if Hornady has changed the one shot recipe in the last couple of years. The can I was using is probably 2-3 years old but I have used them much longer than this in the past. I hear back from Redding very first thing this morning and they are more than happy to take care of it for me. They even offer to send me a sample tin of imperial wax to try. Well, this sparks my memory and I remember that I have a tin of this I had boughten a couple of years ago. I get home from work tonight and I proceed to give it another go. I clean all the cases to make sure they are free of one shot and then I start in using the imperial. I do have to say the first 3 or 4 were hard but not as hard as they were with the one shot. Then about case #5 they start getting easier and work like they should. I do the last 45 with no problems and most of them required minimal effort to do.

I have to say that whatever has happened to my one shot it is no longer providing any lubrication for the cases. The imperial works very good and I am impressed with it. I have yet to hear back from Hornady to see what they have to say but this provides no doubt in my mind that it is the one shot that is to blame for my troubles. I can't give the people at redding enough accolades for responding so fast and being so willing to help me solve this issue. I have used their dies for many years but I will always have a tin of imperial on the bench from now on. As far as Hornady, well, I'll see what they have to say before I pass judgement there.

Thanks for listening and has anyone else had an experience like this with one shot??

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use the imperial wax for all my full length resizing, it's good stuff.

No experience with one-shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One shot is great for mass producing varmint stuff on a Dillon. Imperial is the cats meow for anything else.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didja shake it? Never had an issue with Reddings or One Shot. Been digging the One Shot Cleaner & Lube as well....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've stuck a few with One Shot when i didn't let it dry.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I shook the heck out of it. The 280ai I had lubed the day before so it was dry. I have learned in the past to let it dry well. The redding works very well.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Imperial sizing die wax, and it provides very good lubrication. It takes noticeably less effort than with other lubes I've tried, and a little bit goes a long way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I clean my virgin dies with brake cleaner then start with Imperial. It takes a few cases to get spread out then life is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been an Imperial fan for a long time now. Great stuff.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran into that very same thing about ten years ago when I first started reloading. Worked great for a little while then started sticking cases. Been using the RCBS lube on a pad ever since and have stuck nothing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would wonder if your dies had something in them that the very thin film of One Shot was not able to overcome?

That said, Imperial works very well, as does the seemingly similar material found in cans of Kiwi Mink Oil leather dressing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One Shot can have problems if it's old, if it isn't given a few minutes to dry on the cases, or possibly if it's not shook up well.
Imperial is slightly less convenient, but it is slick and sure.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The problem is it was three different size dies. Some of the lube had dried over a day and I shook it very very well. I think it is just a matter of an old can and for whatever reason it is no longer good.

Reno

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One-Shot can be a little tricky. It has to be shaken well before use, must be allowed to dry until it feels sticky, and a person can spray too much or too little. The good outweighs the bad though, so I contine to use it. I also find that I have to wipe the necks and shoulder with my finger just before inserting into the die or I might dent a case. I may one day try Imperial. How hard is it to remove?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Used to use One-Shot for FL sizing. Did it for about 1 or 2 years. Stuck one case. Went to Imperial and never looked back. I still use One Shot for neck lube. Sprayed onto a Q-tip and applied that way.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I simply wiped the brass with a blue shop paper towel when I was done. No trouble at all to get off. No matter what I use I wipe it off so it is no more work than say one shot.

Still no word from Hornady today.

Reno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RenoH414
I simply wiped the brass with a blue shop paper towel when I was done. No trouble at all to get off. No matter what I use I wipe it off so it is no more work than say one shot.

Still no word from Hornady today.

Reno

I do the same, dump half dozen or so on a towel as I size them, then fold the towel over them and roll it a couple times on the bench. Cleans the wax with almost no effort.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have only been reloading for 6 years or so and have yet to use up this small tin of Imperial Sizing Die wax. Tried RCBS and LEE lube but I prefer the wax. I shoot about 500-600rds a year. At this rate, I think these 2 tins will last me a lifetime.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One Shot doesn't seem to be very forgiving if you don't follow directions or are very thorough with coverage. Add the fact that it is very expensive compared to almost everything else. I trialed one can, loved the convenience, but nothing else. Returned to Imperial Wax, which has served me well for decades.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Will Imperial Die Wax contaminate powder if left on the inside of the neck?

Regardless, what is the best way you have found to remove wax from the inside of case necks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.