Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

deerslayer:

I sent you a couple of PMs. Not all of the info will pertain to your hunt but al lot of it will so they are worth reading.

I have one major piece of advice for you. DON'T GO HUNTING ON YOUR FIRST BACKPACK TRIP. Specially not in a place as remote as the Brooks Range. You are asking for trouble. There's just too much to learn and you could get yourself into a lot of trouble real easy if you don't know what you are doing. There's a lot more to backpacking than just having the right kind of gear. You need to throw all of your shiney new gear into your truck and go backpacking several times before you go to Alaska.

You can start with a trip to Black Kettle National Grasslands. That's an easy place to get started. Then head east on I-40 until you get to Clarksville. Drive north into the National Forest and do some backpacking there. When you get back from that trip, drive west on I-40 until you get to the mountains in New Mexico. Go backpacking in the Pecos Wilderness. Spend several days on each trip and make a bunch of mistakes and learn from your mistakes.

KC

WTF?

He's paying the Guide and outfitter 12 large to take him "hunting on a backpack trip". Pretty sure he's hunting in Alaska, not New Mexico.

I think it's safe to say most people would prefer Bikini style rather than flip ups in the back county.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deerslayerok

I'm not using a scabbard on my pack, so I'm torn between scope flip up covers and bikini style cover..... Rifle will be on my sling or strapped to back of pack with muzzle tapped.

I usually have my rifle strapped to the pack. Slings are a PITA with a big pack, for me. I run BC flip-ups on everything. Bikinis is for wimmins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Right, that is why SOF warriors use mostly cast-off, worn out ancient gear.

IE, you CAN use a De Sade style ALICE pack to hump a LOT of weight. BTDT and have the C-spine X-rays to demonstrate that it ain't to bright to do so.

Thats true to a point, but I'd much rather be in the shape I am now with the Cabelas packframe, slumberjack sleeping bag, no sleeping pad, and a Remington tent (all the gear I used while in high school) than 30 pounds heavier like I was when I got married.

Mental toughness, boots that fit, being in shape, and optics are the most important things IMO when it comes to backpack hunting. The rest you can get by with lesser stuff.

Thankfully I have been blessed to be in a position to afford pretty nice gear compared to what I used in high school, but lightweight gadgets/gear doesn't makes up for not making the time/effort to get and shape. Yeah that stuff is nice, but certainly not what makes or breaks a hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by deerslayerok

I'm not using a scabbard on my pack, so I'm torn between scope flip up covers and bikini style cover..... Rifle will be on my sling or strapped to back of pack with muzzle tapped.

I usually have my rifle strapped to the pack. Slings are a PITA with a big pack, for me. I run BC flip-ups on everything. Bikinis is for wimmins.

Hey now, I have bikini covers on my Leupy UL 2-7 laugh....just cause I haven't gotten a scope shield for it yep...my flip ups always seem to do just what they are called when I don't want them to. The scope shield is what I have come to prefer.

That said its all personal preference....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ppine
Sheep hunting is the hardest hunting there is.

Have you been mountain goat hunting? Mountain goats pee in the water sheep drink.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the OP; for packing your rifle I'd look into getting a Kifaru Gunbearer. It can be configured to keep the gun handy or out of the way depending on need.

Good luck on your hunt!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,885
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.