Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I've been using an action packer tub for the capacity. I just did an oil change and when I went to pour the oil into jugs to take to the recycle at the dump, it made a big mess. I think because the oil was considerably hotter than when I do changes in the winter.

I need something that will hold 13 qt min., and EASY to pour out, and readily available at a parts store like NAPA or such.

I don't need any online options that sell a $20 tub and charge me $30 for shipping.

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have one similar to this. 20 qt capacity, easy to use spout, and $9 at Oreilly and other stores. It helps to get someone to hold the funnel when you pour it into waste jugs, though.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
The mess was from the tub dribbling not the filter so much.

Thanks. I'll go see what the local O'reilly has. I imagine NAPA and Schmucks has similar.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They have that one at O'reiley smile

Ask if they have any free empty buckets with lids. I pretty much just run 5 gallon Lowes buckets with lids or a dedicated dirty funnel to re-fill the one-gallon jugs.

Also, if you are making a mess, grab one of those big flat oil pans that look completely useless. Looks like this.
Do all your work on that and the mess stays in the pan...

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
They have that one at O'reiley

Remember this is Kenai. wink

That pan would be the cat's hiney. I use a dedicated funnel now.

Pouring out of the action packer causes a small dribble normally, but this time it was slobbering.

O'Reilly's tomorrow.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have one similar to this. 20 qt capacity, easy to use spout, and $9 at Oreilly and other stores. It helps to get someone to hold the funnel when you pour it into waste jugs, though.

[Linked Image]

Wallys has a similar one for about the same money. Have one for coolant changes and another for oil changes for my diesel.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
badger hole, problem solved

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assuming your drain plug isn't angled, i.e. it points straight down at the ground, what you want is to replace your drain plug with a Fumoto valve. I've used one for the past 8 years and it is the cleanest and easiest way to drain a large quantity of oil. You simply place a short length of hose over the nipple on the value, open it, and drain the oil directly into used gallon oil jugs. Watch as the oil level rises. When near the top shut off the value and swap in a new gallon jug and repeat until all your oil is drained. You'll still need a small oil pan to catch the oil that drains when you remove your oil filter, but that is a minimal amount.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Click Here for Fumoto Valve

There are several different models available, but the one that works the best has the nipple on it so you can slip on a drain hose and drain right into a gallon jug.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
That looks slick Walt.

This truck has the drain on the side of the pan at the bottom. It's the plastic Ford pan with the 1/4 turn plug.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
That looks slick Walt.

This truck has the drain on the side of the pan at the bottom. It's the plastic Ford pan with the 1/4 turn plug.

What year, make, model and engine do you have? I can probably find the correct Fumoto valve for you.

Wrap some Teflon tape around the threads of the Fumoto valve when you install it. I installed mine 8 years ago and haven't touched it since. That's another advantage of the Fumoto valve that I forgot to mention, no more hunting up the right wrench or socket to remove and reinstall the drain plug.

Last edited by walt501; 06/28/13.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use a wash bucket that fits under the truck, then use a coffee can and funnel to pour it into the plastic jugs. I buy the oil in 2&1/2 gallon containers so I always have big jugs to put it in.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut the top end of a 55 or 1/4 barrel and fit a quarter turn valve to it. Place on a bench or table and drain it into what you want. May have to put the "barrel" on something to drain into it with the valve attached. But F-Superduty's have good ground clearance.

Sean
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by walt501
That looks slick Walt.

What year, make, model and engine do you have? I can probably find the correct Fumoto valve for you.

Wrap some Teflon tape around the threads of the Fumoto valve when you install it. I installed mine 8 years ago and haven't touched it since. That's another advantage of the Fumoto valve that I forgot to mention, no more hunting up the right wrench or socket to remove and reinstall the drain plug.

Appreciate the offer Walt. I think I'll go with the pan above first. I actually like the plug on this pan - it takes the 3/8 socket wrench (sans socket) to turn.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mike - just had mine done at the new quick lube in kenai. Labor was $14.95. Oil was a bit higher than I could buy it for but less than the trip to town to buy and trip to recycle....

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I don't have that much faith in "quickie" oil places. Heard too many horror stories, 1 directly.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by walt501
That looks slick Walt.

I wouldn't drain it into a milk jug like that... as I don't have that much confidence in it...

however as far as for the valve... I put one on my 4Runner back when I first changed the oil at 1,000 miles... put teflon tape on it like as said above...

it been giving me reliable service on the 4 Runner now for 519,000 miles...never a problem or leak....

it was like $8.99 when I bought it at an AutoParts store back in October 1987....

and for oil changes on all of my rigs, I have used those < $2.00 buckets you find out Wally World in the auto department that they usually use for people to was their cars in....

I use various one gallon jugs to drain oil in to run it over to recycling, bleach jug, milk jug whatever...

To hold them, I put an automatic tranny funnel in the jug, with a little can't to let the air out while the oil goes in there...

and to hold the milk jug, I just put two of them in a milk crate, the second one is just to keep the first one from roaming around and making it a 3 handed affair..

To drain out what might be left in the blue car wash bucket, I just turn it upside down over my burn barrel, on top of the grate on top of it..

haven't had any big messes to clean up for years...

and I set the car wash bucket inside a cheap oil change pan, that just catches any splashes that may occur...

and something I learned in the army, I use exam gloves on my hands, just peal them off and throw them in the trash when done...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
if you are doing this on a diesel truck you can just dump the old oil on 3/4 tank or more of diesel and just burn up the waste oil as fuel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My diesel truck holds 10 quarts so I use one of the large plastic containers that Wally World sells. It has a solid top that slopes to the center. There is a hole in the center where the oil flows through. Also there is a plastic plug that screws in and seals the hole in the center. There is a plastic spout out of the side of it that has a screw on cap on it. I usually just haul the container to the recycle center and pour it in their oil recycle tank.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
if you are doing this on a diesel truck you can just dump the old oil on 3/4 tank or more of diesel and just burn up the waste oil as fuel.

On an older rig that may work. I think that would be really bad on this '11 F250.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't you have a fuel filter for that? They make new motors every day!

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Don't you have a fuel filter for that? They make new motors every day!

True words there Sir!

I just don't want to get in line to buy one.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just use square 4 gallon plastic buckets. But I get dozens every year from our commercial laundry soap. Oil pours out nice. And they fit under the truck. For doing lower rigs, I just cut the top 1/3rd off.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,605
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.