Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Espo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
New to the forum and Savage 1899/99. I just inherited a Model 99 Takedown in 32-40 with a bunch of ammo. Based on the serial number I believe it was made in 1912. Its real clean, with most of the blue intact.

I cant seem to find one anywhere on the net. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth? Is it rare or just obscure?

I have one in 300 Savage too smile

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's very uncommon, relatively few 32-40's were made. What is it worth? Depends on condition and if it's an auction, depends on who's bidding.

Tend to be pricey though..

If you can post pics, you'll get the truth and nothing but the truth in regards to the condition and model and what alterations have been done. If it's original you'll get lots of oohs and aahs, if it's refinished, you'll hear about that. There's a thread in the photography forum here about how to use photobucket to upload pictures and display them here.

Welcome to the campfire!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to put a value on it without pics.

Let's have a look at it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, welcome to the Savage forum. Good way to start with the 32-40. Don't get in a big ol' bunch to sell that one until you've given it some thought. Let's see those photos! grin

LOL
E
Espo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Here are some photo's. sorry they're not very good, have to learn how photo these things....

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Pespo69/library/?sort=3&page=1

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm.

Don't know where to start.

I'll let somebody else go first.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The good: 32-40 - no extra holes in the metal

The bad: cut barrel - how long is the barrel now? how's the bore?

The ugly: replaced front and rear sights - not original but can be replaced.

Questions: the focus is soft so it's hard to determine the quality or state of the checkering, but it looks correct.

Rifle will be priced accordingly as a shooter not a collector... frown sorry but it's still a great heirloom shooting an accurate cartridge.

Last edited by olgrouser; 06/19/13.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do the serial numbers of the forearm, receiver, butt stock and butt plate match?

Looks like the gun started it's life as an A.

It's definitely been "worked on" since then.

I'm not so sure about that checkering. May or may not be factory.

Higher resolution pictures would help.

Since you inherited the gun presumably from a family member, what it is worth in $ shouldn't really be all that important IMO.

What do you know about the story of the men that owned it? Many times that story is more interesting that the gun itself.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to be a smart azz...but the ammo (if they are full unfired boxes) definitely has collector value.

I wouldn't be blasting them up on bottles at the range.

Just sayin.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

E
Espo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Yeah the barrel measure 21.25. I guess they never made a 32-40 carbine smile

Mike was a big time deer hunter in the early 70's. Probably hadn't shot any of his rifles since early 80's. He was something of a collector (guns, knifes, 45 rpm), maybe a bit of a hoarder to... Stockpiled tools, ammo and Booz smile

IC B3

E
Espo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
thanks everyone for the input and advice...

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.