Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just wanting to get quick opinions on these 2 styles of smoker grills. Thought I was convinced on getting a pellet smoker, but I do find myself looking at these offset smokers on occasions. My only thoughts with the offset smokers that are wood burning are that I wouldn't have to be buying the pellets all the time PLUS I do have endless amounts of smoking wood. Lots of Hickory, Oak, & also Cherry and other types of fruit wood. I guess my main concern is the final result of my meats on the wood burning offset smoker VS. the pellet smoker. Hopefully my posts concerning new grills/smokers aren't wearing you all out ... I just like being sure of myself before making a purchase. Thanks.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, having no direct experience with either pellet burners or offset smokers, please allow me to speak freely upon your posted commentary.

they're probably both very good. but when you said you had various species of wood available, that sealed the deal for me. use what ya got, and conserve money while still preparing great wood cooked food.

yeah, I came up with that conclusion based upon what you just said. wink

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gus
well, having no direct experience with either pellet burners or offset smokers, please allow me to speak freely upon your posted commentary.

they're probably both very good. but when you said you had various species of wood available, that sealed the deal for me. use what ya got, and conserve money while still preparing great wood cooked food.

yeah, I came up with that conclusion based upon what you just said. wink

..... you make it sound so simple! cry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds to me like the stick burner is what would work best for you with your ample wood supply. The pellet smokers are nice, but they really don't get hot enough for high temp grilling. They also have a hard time holding temps in cold weather unless you blanket them.

One other thing to consider is if you live in a rural area that is prone to power outages you will be dead in the water with a pellet cooker where as the stick burners, WSM's and kamado style cookers keep right on chugging away. Give me wood or charcoal any day over rabbit food and electricity.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Mike. If wood is plentiful and the right type, it seems it is, then the offset would be the way to go. I can smoke or grill on mine, just depends on where you build the fire. Never have used a pellet burner, but it just doesn't "look or sound right". Saw dust and glue to make small pebbles of fuel vs wood from a tree, not much to think about for me.

Sean
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks a bunch for the input fellas! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old model Bandera. Added a baffle and bricks. Been very happy with it. Did 75-80 lbs last week in it.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.