Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I realized I have never thought to try 5 different types of 22 mag ammo as I find one that works and go with it. But when was the last time you saw more than one brand of 22 mag ammo in a store? I can see the value of a gun that can shoot multiple ammo well in these days of limited availability of ammo. When I see 5 different types of ammo again I think I will see what mine can do smile

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a pair of 9422's. Mags.
The longer barreled Legacy model is a excellent shooter.
I have been shooting .22 WRF as it is easier to find and cheaper in these times.
My Annie 54,s in .22 Mag more accurate than the lever guns , however.
Cisco

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Two of the most accurate .22 Magnums I've owned have been the Marlin 57M Levermatic and a Savage 24DL .22 Mag/20 ga. Both will shoot the original Winchester 40 grain JHP ammo into 3/8"@50 yards all day long. As soon as one feeds the new light HPs the groups open up to as much as 4".

Still have the Savage but sold the 57M years ago.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally shot the .22 mag. I got a while ago and it was not all that accurate with the WW 40 gr or the CCI poly tip either.

The rifle is a Brno 611 that I got for it's looks. Around here we can't use the .22 mag in the state forests. The .17 HMR is the largest rifle allowed.

Those 94 type levers with their outside hammer under the scope don't appeal to me. Nor does the .22 mag for that matter as the .17 HMR is more accurate and the centerfires have more range.

Maybe I will lap it's barrel or polish the crown on some rainy day.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i had a 77/22 magnum in the sporter conversion shortly after they came out. Benched it at 100 yards with Winchester 40 grain HP's, shot one inch and near one inch groups. Didn't know what I had (you know where this is going already!) as it made sense it would shoot better than a 22 LR... I mean it had a non-heeled jacketed bullet. Was probably the best digger squirrel rifle I ever had... a good 125 yard gun, which covered most of the areas I hunted.

I sold it to buy a Ruger 77 22 hornet, which I never did buy as every article I saw showed them to have poor accuracy. About twelve years ago I picked up a 77/22 mag with the heavier stainless barrel and laminated stock... thought due to the configuration it would shoot even better than my first 77/22 mag. Could not get it to even group one inch at 50 yards... tried about every round locally available at the time.

Who knows ... in hindsight maybe it was just the lot of ammo I used in my 1st 22 mag, but with the second 22 mag I tried around eight different loads to no avail???

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had several .22 Magnums, and while some shot pretty well with a load or two, never owned one that was super-accurate. Just tested my latest--an older 9422M--the other day with several loads, and the 30-grain TNT load sold by both CCI and Federal shoots into a half-inch or so for 5 shots at 50! And it's the model of .22 Magnum I've always liked the best....

Good info, Mule Deer- I have a 9422M XTR, a really beautiful little rifle, but accuracy with most loads has been so-so. Will keep an eye out for this stuff!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's worth a try--but my first 9422M didn't like that load much at all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had a couple of Mossberg 640k Chucksters and both shot good with WW FMJ and JHP loads. Now days I use a Marlin 882 ss that I put an old K4 on with super fine crosshairs and dot reticle. It shoots WW JHP and FMJ ammo ok, but the Hornady 30 gr V Max load is simply outstanding. Only ammo for the 22WMR that I considered worthless was WW Dynapoints that are a plated lead hp, they sure leaded the heck out of my Marlin in short order.I've allways had good luck in plain and plated Dynapoints in the 22Lr though. Magnum Man

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ive got several .22 WRMs and the one that's the most consistently accurate is, of all things, a Savage Model 24DL with a .410 barrel under the rifle barrel! But my TC G-2 single shot with a 17" MGM custom barrel is VERY close, and even more accurate with some ammo.

I try to stick to one cartridge as much as possible because I shoot .22 WRM a lot and have both handguns and rifles. The load that works the best "among" my seven guns, 3 long guns and 4 handguns is the original W/W 40 gr. hollowpoint. They seem to have improved it considerably since 1959!

And, like balltownbob, my beautiful 1961-made Winchester Model 61M pump doesn't shoot ANY .22 WRM worth a crap. It does group .22 WRF fairly well, but I really just keep it for purty....

I use .22 WRM for a "walking varmint" cartridge, mainly on ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and crows. But I've shot and et head-shot cottontails with it, and killed (but NOT et) several coyotes. Carry an S&W Model 651 sometimes for company when I'm in places where I don't know the locals, too.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My first .22 Magnum was a 24DLM with a 20-gauge barrel. It was very accurate with the right load, probably because of the stiffness of the two barrels soldered together--unlike the cheaper 24's where the barrels are held together by brackets. Kinda wish I still had it, but gave it to one of my first wife's younger brothers decades ago....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?"

John,

just saw your quote, so true for me... if it's a rough day or one coming up I go to sleep thinking about some gun stuff rather than the day's baggage!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had a Browning A bolt, several Rugers 77's, and a Mauser 201 of which all shot the Winchester 40g hp in an inch at 100 yds(calm wind), they had been tweeked a little with floading barrels and trigger jobs.

It took shooting in PMC's underground facility to show me just how wind sensitive 22 mags are as wind switches and swirls.

One thing for sure, you have to clean a 22 mag to keep it running at peak accuracy. God help you if you shoot a plated lead bullet. Not cleaning the 22 mag has resulted in a lot of bad rap for the 22 mag as rough barrels and non jacketed bullets foul up barrels.

I was good friends with the guy that built the Olympic rifles in 1990. He bore scoped my barrels as we got home from the squirrels wars to find they were full of powder fouling, guilding metal, and residue from priming compounds. Needless to say, a good bronze bristle brush solved the issue of fouling and accuracy was restored.

Clean your mags with a good bronze bristle brush and good solvent. My friend developed later developed the seventeen rim fire magnum...you have to clean them also.

Last edited by keith; 07/06/13.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I love the .22 mag! Bought one of the first Ruger 77 vmbz's when they came out! After thorough testing with the ammo available at the time , it shoots Winchester 34 grn jhp black box into tiny groups! All my buddy's look at me kinda funny when they all have their 17's and I'm using the .22 mag! Same look I get when I take the .221 fireball but everyone wants to know where they can get one!

If your wife is not mad at you, your just not fishing enough!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had several .22 Magnums, and while some shot pretty well with a load or two, never owned one that was super-accurate. Just tested my latest--an older 9422M--the other day with several loads, and the 30-grain TNT load sold by both CCI and Federal shoots into a half-inch or so for 5 shots at 50! And it's the model of .22 Magnum I've always liked the best....

Your latest 9422M must be something. This post is teetering on gushing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I stand in awe of ANYONE who can shoot one of those tall, skinny rifles off the bags WELL. I have a lot of issues with canting on those rascals, which is why I don't have any, I guess. I have always wanted one of the brown laminated 94/22Ms, though, as I think that is the best-looking one of the breed, but just as I was getting ready to buy one, they discontinued them, and I'm unwilling to pay the collector's price on a decent one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They're easier to shoot off a Bulls Bag, because you can slide the skinny forearm down into the slot in the bag.

The asking prices for all discontinued Winchesters have always tended toward the ridiculous, even for some of the Model 70's made toward the end of the New Haven era, when the "workmanship" was Wal-Mart quality.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've used the same combo for over 10 years with CCI. Never tried Federal. Very accurate. Too bad 9422M is no longer available. frown

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
R H Clark,

One of my .22 Magnums was a CZ 452. It shot several loads pretty well, but nothing super-accurately.

My 452 shoots CCI Maxi Mag hp's extremely well. Nothing else runs close for accuracy. The next trick is to find some. I have somehow misplaced a full box and am sitting with 10 rounds.

d.

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
WELLLLL> Its Not The Gun its the Bullet!> very Introp1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My 9422 is also a tack driving fool...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.