Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a stash of .380 ammo, but currently have nothing to chamber them in. I have had Sigs P-230, PPKs, Kel-Tec P-3AT, and the Browning BDAs which were my favorites. Can't decide if I want to sell the ammo or find another pistol.

What's your opinion of the most reliable 380 Auto?

Thank our servicemen and women for their sacrifices.
Thank John M. Browning for his firearms inventions.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sig without question is the "Caddilac". However, it is pricey and a bit bulkier than some of the others. Reliability is certainly suspect with a few of the .380's

Buy once, cry once.
J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Which Sig model? 238?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a Sig 238 for a year or so. It was a nice pistol. It would feed and shoot anything you put through it. I got rid of it, because I wanted to upgrade to a 9mm (back when .380 ammo was $18/box and 9mm was $9.50). It wouldn't break my heart to own another P238--they are a nice pistol.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep 238

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a Ruger LCP with CT lazergrips and a KelTec P3AT in the house. Next gun show the Ruger is going on the table and the KelTec is remaining in our possesion. Don't know or care about accuracy in these, the KelTec eats and spits out everything, even when I purposely treat it badly with dirt, sub freezing temps with no lube etc. and its trigger is much lighter than the Rugers.

If you don't get a new 380, I might try to trade you out of the 380 ammo.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Ruger LCP for about a year and found it to be very reliable. However, I decided it was too difficult to shoot accurately at any range longer than up close and personal. Of course, that is what the .380 is designed for, but I decided I wanted a little more power with a little more accuracy. That said, I never had an operational problem with the LCP in probably 400 to 500 rounds fired.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Sig without question is the "Caddilac". However, it is pricey and a bit bulkier than some of the others. Reliability is certainly suspect with a few of the .380's

Can't argue with Sig, but I'd also add Beretta to that list, both the newer versions as well as the older 70s series.

Just a little big to be pocket guns though, but they conceal & carry nicely with a variety of holster types.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 238 is the only handgun i have, semi or revolver, that has never, ever, not once hiccuped. It's tiny but I find it easy to shoot, carry it almost 7/7 days/week, and for that reason without shame take it to some classes and shoot the piss out of it, though steel usually needs a double tap.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMB Fan
I've got a stash of .380 ammo, but currently have nothing to chamber them in. I have had Sigs P-230, PPKs, Kel-Tec P-3AT, and the Browning BDAs which were my favorites. Can't decide if I want to sell the ammo or find another pistol.

Funny, you said you've had a Browning BDA and you're asking what the most accurate and reliable .308 is; yet you've had the most accurate and reliable. When I read the headline on this thread, the first gun that came to mind was the Beretta 84, which is just the BDA with the safety on the frame (where it belongs IMO). The BDA is outstanding.

I guess it all just depends on what you want to do with the thing. If you want to shoot, then the Beretta 84/BDA is the way to go. For concealed carry, then match the gun to your carry style.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have owned a Sig P230 for many, many years. Maybe a dozen years or more.
I can feed and shoot any 380 ammo without a problem. SA or DA that Sig always goes bang.
Great pistol.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny how things go some times. During lunch a friend here at work just loaned me his DVD copy of Skyfall / James Bond.
On the cover Daniel Craig is holding a PPK. Always wanted one of those in .380 cool

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
take a look at the Kahr P380. If you have to carry the SIG cocked and locked its just not the best option for concealment. The Kahr is very accurate as well.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Funny, you said you've had a Browning BDA and you're asking what the most accurate and reliable .308 is; yet you've had the most accurate and reliable. When I read the headline on this thread, the first gun that came to mind was the Beretta 84, which is just the BDA with the safety on the frame (where it belongs IMO). The BDA is outstanding.

KG: I agree. I did not trade away three BDAs over the years because there was anything wrong with them. Each time, there was just something I wanted more. I would not mind having another Browning or the Beretta either, but I did want to benefit from the experience of others before I lay down the cash.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
take a look at the Kahr P380.

I have heard good things about Kahr as well. I will have to check them out.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I love my Kahr P-380. I was very concerned about buying such a small pistol. I remembered owning small 25 auto pistols that shot so bad you wondered if a bullet was actually coming out. I owned one 25 that you couldn't hit a can from 3 feet with.

I can shoot 6 shot groups from 10 yards with the P-380 that I can cover with the mouth of a coffee cup and they are all to point of aim.10 yards doesn't sound like much but I figure it's the distance this pistol was designed for.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/12/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both the Sig P232 and the Browning (Beretta) BDA. They both shoot equally accurate in my hands, probably due to the fact that they both have pretty much the same sight radius.
I just shot a friends Sig P238 last week and, while it was a great little gun, the shorter sight radius made it more difficult to shoot accurately for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Yep 238

Another yep on the P238.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe everyone saying and recommending all the pocket guns which from what I have seen actually do have reliability problems. the LCP's kahrs all of them frankly suck in the reliability department. if you want a great shooting 380 I would think a glock that isn't sold here or the good ole PPK

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most Reliable ?
1. Sig P-230 Hands Down!
2.Beretta or Browning .380. Take your Pick.
3.KelTec P-380. I've had one since they first came out. Never jammed once,Never!
4.New Sig P-238. I've seen my buddies jam twice in about 350 rounds.

Worst .380 ?

Walther PPK .380 I tried three of them. Worst Jamm-amatic I've Ever Owned. You couldn't give me one! I'd just as soon carry a Baby Browning .25 mad

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/12/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.