Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ranger1
It has happened to many different breeds, it will likely happen to labs, and it's a shame.

Hey Einstein, have you not noticed the split in bench dogs vs. field dogs that is already in existance in labs(as well almost every other field dog)?

I never once said that I would buy a canoe lab, and damn sure wouldn't buy a silver labd, etc. My argument this whole time is why chastise a guy who is breeding two dogs a little under breed standard, but not the guy who is breeding a 110lb dog to an 80lb bitch? Like I said, I'm not a lab guy to begin with, so y'all can have them however you want them. I'll stick to real dogs laugh

Just to ease your mind a bit, my Springer came from someone who has health certs, pure UK hunting stock, etc. But I'm willing to bet that she's not in AKC "breed standard", because an AKC springer and a field springer are two different dogs.

Last edited by quackaddict; 07/24/13.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
im no expert when it comes to dogs, but i find this argument interesting.i run about 40 dogs mostly english pointers for quail, in south tex. i have 7 labs we use to retrieve, both dove and quial, im not intrested in breed standards, im intrested in a dog that will work.we have found over the last 50 yrs of hunting birds in rough country and sometimes hot temps, that the smaller labs do a better job as they dont heat up as bad as the bigger dogs, and cool down faster,my dogs pick a lot of doves out of water,and ducks out of coastal wet lands off padre island, mostly mud flats. and i always take a couple of dogs up north with me in the fall to hunt ring necks and pin tails, i have never felt i didnt have enough dog, with a 45# to 50# lab. breed standards are set by commites,the old saying goes build a horse by commite( ms) and it will look like a camel and ride like one. use what works for you no matter what breed or type.rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by quackaddict
Folks seem really down on breeders breeding smaller labs, but no problems with the 100 pounders? From the AKC:

Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22� to 24� inches; for a bitch is 21� to 23� inches. Any variance greater than � inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

If my math is correct, 100lbs is 20lbs over 80lbs. If that's acceptable, then 45lbs for a dog(or 35lbs for a bitch) should be also be acceptable to those same people. I'd much rather a dog be under a breed standard than over. An over-sized dog is going to have more health issues than a smaller one 99% of the time.

I would have to say that most 100 pound Labradors are overweight because of their owners feeding/exercise practices. Fed properly, I'd bet they'd fall within the standard.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post RIO7. Loved duck hunting down on the coast the few times I got a chance to.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The dog I posted the picture of is my current hunting partner. She is the final product of the Pedigrees below.

I have been an avid trainer. She is whistle trained and handles on signal. Blinds and multiples are no problem and one hell of a nose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Many who have some knowledge may realize from the dogs in the Pedigree what kind of lineage I'm talking about. I'm ready to have a litter.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was a lab guy, I'd take a pup from her regardless of standards.

Last edited by quackaddict; 07/24/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am starting the clearances on my Trap.
Friday, he gets his eyes cerf'd as a start.
Purebred dogs should be held to standards of the breed.
Breeding for color,size, etc, causes deviations and starts a bad genetic trait.
How long, if ever could it be bred back out to set the standards back?
Anyone who breeds their dog should get them check so no defects such as eic are passed along.
You want a lab, deal with their siz. If there is another breed that suits your needs, and is the size you want, get that one.

Since I have my own thread about my lab, I didn't want to derail this one, but here is my dogs pedigree.
Click on the names and see how many in his bloodline are in the retriever hall of fame. Keep going back and his blood can be traced back to the mid 1800's, in England.
All bred for their hunting, and gaminess to play the doggie games.
http://huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=67581

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
when we are hunting hard by that i mean daylight till noon then from 3:pm till dark every day,and we are in the birds working our butts off, i dont ever remember getting a big covey rise and whipping my dogs papers out, and hollering look out birds my dogs are badass dogs!!!! we just shoot and expect our dogs to do there jobs.dogs are just like horses ,you cant ride their papers. but you can brag about their breeding.rio7 all this is said with a smile!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It isn't about the paper. Its about the blood to do and look like a breed should.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great dog Splatter...

Are you field trialing him?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. I bought him as my buddy and hunting companion. He has his junior hunter title in akc, and this weekend, I am running him in 2 ukc seasoned tests.
Ill run him again the end of October in akc senior.
When we title senior/seasoned, we're done.
The games are games, everything a dog knows to pass senior/seasoned will make him an awesome hunting dog.
I have a buddy, not a robot machine.
Check my thread out below this one. You'll see I have a faithful companion for life.
Im just not into ft's. I just like to hunt, shoot birds, and watch a dog do what it was bred to do.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I would have to say that most 100 pound Labradors are overweight because of their owners feeding/exercise practices. Fed properly, I'd bet they'd fall within the standard.

Bingo!

I have the same feeling for oversized dogs as I do under. I am sorry you don't have an understanding of proper breeding and the importance of confirmation standards, Quack! By any chance is your name Robert Budnik?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have a clue who that is, so no.

I have a great understanding of conformation(if you're going to try to be an ass, at least check your spelling). I also know that a dog that is put together properly is put together properly, whether it's 45lbs or 95lbs. There's a big difference in actual conformation and a size standard. Of course, you're too caught up in what the AKC says a dog should look like to understand that wink I'll take a well put together dog from a strong hunting background that might be a hair undersized and never loose a bit of sleep at night. Again, I don't give two hoots about most labs, and they are the ones with the majority of "breed standard" issues, so no worries about me starting my own genetic strain of labs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's not get started on show dogs vs field lines.
Show labs sure have ruined the breed in general.
Just look at them compared to a real working bred one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exactly. That's why I don't pay much attention to the AKC. Springers, Setters, and Goldens are the perfect examples. My Springer and what the AKC thinks is a springer are two completely different dogs. Same with a field golden compared to an "AKC" golden, just not quite as extreme. The AQHA has the same issues as the AKC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who did you get Trap from Splatter?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lady named Lee Salmon. She owns Wind River Labs out of Washington state.
Traps dad is no longer with us.
http://www.windriverlabs.com/
She answers the phone or text messages anytime I call.
I ccouldn't ask for a better dog she matched me up with.
She got to know me and switched dogs up from what I was gonna buy to Trap based on her knowing her dogs and the use and personality of the customer.
Ill give her a 10 out of 10!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
SPLATTERMATIC, its clear to me you have a nice dog and a good hunting partner, and im happy for you. dont get hug up on papers and breed standard,enjoy your dog, rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Believe me..... Im not hung up on those things.
I love my dog no matter what.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.