Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never liked Maker's Mark.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm not a bourbon drinker, but Eagle reserve isn't too bad.

-Ken

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had a couple of shots of bourbon on the last flight over as they were out of gin. I knew better.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Evan Williams

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Try Makers Mark.............

MM

Hot damn...I'd just as soon drink diesel fuel!! eek crazy

You drink Hot Damn? That's just gay!

Weller for me. It's another wheated bourbon.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buffalo trace is good inexpensive bourbon. My bourbon of choice is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's $36 a fifth though.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by antlers
Bulleit's even better. And Knob Creek 'Single Barrel Reserve' is the nectar of the Gods...!

I actually find that one a bit hot going down.

add ice..............

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buffalo Trace owns WL Weller, Sazerac,, Ancient Age, Van Winkles, Lee, Old Charter and Blantons among others. If you truly enjoy the finish of BT, cut to the f'ing chase and stock Blantons for mid shelf and Pappy 15, 20 or 23 on top......

Last edited by Journeyman; 07/18/13.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by antlers
Bulleit's even better. And Knob Creek 'Single Barrel Reserve' is the nectar of the Gods...!

I actually find that one a bit hot going down.

add ice..............

That ruins the flavor and aroma. I prefer to cut it a bit with still spring water.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Buffalo Trace owns WL Weller, Sazerac,, Ancient Age, Van Winkles, Lee, Old Charter and Blantons among others. If you truly enjoy the finish of BT, cut to the f'ing chase and stock Blantons for mid shelf and Pappy 15, 20 or 23 on top......

Common ownership doesn't imply they all have the same mash bill or wood/warehouse regime.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya ' f'ing think? Maybe being the Campfire ex drip under pressure you can 'splain it to me. My family's only been in the business since 1934...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Please explain it to me.

Do the BT, Blanton's and Pappy share those things? Or no, but they still share the same finish?

Thanks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As a native of central Kentucky, I grew up around the Bourbon Industry and my family has always been associated with it. My Dad was involved with printing labels for bottles, my maternal grandfathers family supplied iron and other hardware to the cooperage industry, and I just discovered that two relatives actually owned distilleries in the 1880s. Although mostly retired, I work two or three days a week for a local distillery.

From my long association with the industry I have come to the conclusion that the bourbon you like is the bourbon you like. One person likes Chocolate ice cream, the next one likes vanilla. The same with bourbon. What you like is the best one available.

The three great Whiskeys of the world come from three different grains. Scotch is made from barley, Canadian from rye and Bourbon primarily from corn. For additional flavor, either rye is added to the bourbon grain bill to spice it up, or wheat is added for a softer flavor. Either way, barley is added to make for more efficient fermentation.

But to make this corn whiskey become bourbon, it has to be aged for some time in charred, white oak barrels. Good bourbon can be had in four years, excellent bourbon in eight, and superb takes a minimum of 10 to 12. Older bourbons can be obtained, but returns are diminishing.

I personally use eight year old bourbons for cocktails and ten to twelve year olds for sipping.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I asked you since you're the expert. But... BT and Blanton's do... Just SB vs blend...Pappy"s is nectar... ( but you knew that!) ~grin~

And fwiw, we sell more Rare Breed to truly sophisticated patrons (as in the Allen Conference) hint: 12% of the F400...than any other bourbon...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't say I knew the mash bills offhand.

Anyway, what's the deal with Van Winkle Lot B? It's been unobtanium lately.

I'm not Fortune anything, but my posts over time show I'm a solid fan of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I prefer it over many more expensive spirits.

Edit: Forgot to ask, which facets of the business are your family in?

Last edited by mathman; 07/18/13.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buffalo Trace is great on ice....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know that. I actually admire your acuity for one self taught. My family is the largest purveyor of spirits in a number of resort areas. I"m an engineer who was roped into being a part of the whole darn thing through my 4 years in Scotland, 8 years in Canada and 3 years in Japan (lots here would crap if they knew how many distilleries are Nippon owned)...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In my liquor cabinet up in my den and when I am on a good hunting trip, Kicken Chicken (Wild Turkey for you outside Montana)is my choice on ice. My two daughters always make sure I get a Rare Breed for Christmas.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you opened a bottle of Blanton's and its nose was heavy with pipe tobacco? When I get a bottle like that I'm taken back forty years and I remember my Dad lifting the top of the tobacco container on his pipe stand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I need to try Buffalo Trace but no ice or splashes of anything in mine! Everyone's tastes are different I suppose.

Here are my standbys:

Low bucks: Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey Rye

Medium bucks: Woodford, Knob Creek

More bucks: Pappy

Never cared much for Maker's but the last bottle I got as a gift was much better than any I remember. Also didn't care too much for Bulleit or Bulleit Rye. Not bad, just a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting more, especially the Rye.

I do think its possible to get average bottles, and sometimes great bottles of the same make/vintage. Like cigars, it might be best to give a brand a try or three before making any final conclusions.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.