Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The "Pre-64" topic got me thinking of the Ruger Express rifles and what a fine piece of work they are.

Here is a picture of the 'express' sight on one.

[Linked Image]

I like mine also. I paid about what they are asking for this one in yesterdays dollars.

Ruger Express for sale

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to say I can't quite take to the massive hunk of metal on top of the barrel under the rear sight. Kinda spoils the lines of an otherwise real nice rifle.

Thanks for posting the pic and link as you never see these rifles in my part of the world.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
smile

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, much too heavy and completely needless cosmetic frippery, so, these are "OK", but, not really worth the additional $$$$ they cost as a hunting rifle.

I would have much preferred a "ghost and post" setup like that on the old Brno ZKK rifles for a good auxiliary sight.

When, you lay one of these beside a Dakota 76, you can see what a mediocre attempt at an "express rifle" they really are, much like comparing a Ruger 77-.338WM to a P-64-70 Alaskan-.338WM.

But, each to his own and all that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kutenay
Yup, much too heavy and completely needless cosmetic frippery, so, these are "OK", but, not really worth the additional $$$$ they cost as a hunting rifle.

I would have much preferred a "ghost and post" setup like that on the old Brno ZKK rifles for a good auxiliary sight.

When, you lay one of these beside a Dakota 76, you can see what a mediocre attempt at an "express rifle" they really are, much like comparing a Ruger 77-.338WM to a P-64-70 Alaskan-.338WM.

But, each to his own and all that.

Hey now. That 338 remark was like a swift kick to the nuts Kute ol buddy grin..I kind of like my Ruger m77 338 blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice rifle. Wonder what it would look like in Mcmillan urban camo?

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 07/19/13. Reason: Grammar
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
much like comparing a Ruger 77-.338WM to a P-64-70 Alaskan-.338WM.

I know that many hold the pre-64 M70 in high regard, but what features made the Alaskan unique?

Just the chambering, or were there other additions?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The P-64 Mod. 70, the single greatest contribution, along with the Winchester 1886/71 rifles, ever made by the USA, to human civilization and general well-being, was made and sold in several types.

Later, in the era of this outstanding version of the immortal Mauser 98 pattern, it was offered in an Americanized version of a fine British cartridge, the .33 BSA. This, was the fine, fine .338WM and it was offered in a specific model, also chambered in the legendary .375H&H.

Simply, it had a solid, red, rubber recoil pad, and a totally superb 25" barrel and, my son, these rifles WOULD SHOOT. I have owned five originals, still have four and they have a balance, are "bughole" accurate with REAL bullets at high velocities and they are exactly the right weight for this round.

These were made in about a total of 9000+ and when one comes up for sale here, as is RARE, it sells NOW and for more than the lesser quality newer versions. If, you ever packed one all summer, alone in Grizzly country, you would KNOW why guys with much experience revere these and will pay big bux for one.

I just started the deal to sell all except one of mine plus my other "magnum" P-64s today as age, injuries and too many fine rifles have caught up with me and it is time for some others to enjoy what I have worked my azz off to obtain. That said, only my adored and totally PITA Rottweilers are more precious to me than these rifles, but, Rotts are people and even P-64s are not quite there....well, considering "Obama", one wonders......

Anyway, that is it, just an outstanding working rifle that just does what it was intended to do and without any glitz or BS.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't get me wrong. I like the M70 and the M98 as well.

I appreciate CRF and the rugged claw extractor, the standing ejector, the safety and the trigger.

The M70 action is a fine mechanical design, and I believe it offers designed-in reliability that is not available from the cheaper-to-manufacture pushfeed designs.

But after owning quite a few P-64 M70s, including a mint Supergrade and a NIB standard 30-06, I have yet to appreciate the P-64 as some do.

For me, the later NH Classic and even the Baco versions offer better machining, a stock more suited to optics, stainless steel options, a clean barrel, and they have been equally reliable.

So, my question was meant to determine if I was missing something in having never owned an Alaskan.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
E
E
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The "Pre-64" topic got me thinking of the Ruger Express rifles and what a fine piece of work they are.

I agree Savage_99. I've seen a couple of these and the workmanship is very good considering the selling price. The rich bluing, integral quarter rib, decently figured stock, barrel-band swivel stud, and "ebony" forend tip are all features you'd expect to pay handsomely for in custom rifle. What caliber is the one you have?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a .270 Win.

I compared it's weight to my old M70 .300 H&H and it weighs one ounce less! smile

Now that I am hunting on more open land and near the car these safe queens are getting some field time.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Savage, I actually appreciate the beauty and function of these rifles. I have a tang safety 270 round top that I am hanging on to, even after my most recent win pre 64 270 fwt purchase. I like the Ruger m77's for what they are (a real working man's workhorse). Yours is a beauty. How does she shoot?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Erratic so far.

Last month it made a small group at 100 yds.
and then a larger one at 200 yds.

Also some of the primers are flat and others rounded with the same load which was the 130 gr Combined Tech. over RL 22.

This is the fun of guns. I will work on it this summer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A beautiful rifle Sir.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1

Sure they are a little heavy, but they are very well made, and classically styled.

much too heavy and completely needless cosmetic frippery

This almost seems like the dictionary definition of the Dakota 76 wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just loaded up some 140 Berger VLD's for it using the accuracy load in the Sierra manual over H4350.

I found that it's magazine will take a COL much longer than the books suggest. It will take a COL of 3.4" or more so thats what the VLD's are. They just touch the lands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have you bedded it? The Rugers I've owned have responded very well to a proper bedding job. And speaking of bullets: I lucked out with my 270 because it loves 130 gr. partitions..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If, this was such a "fine" and "wellmade" rifle, WHY would you HAVE to even touch the bedding?

I have yet to own, of 43 so far, an un-modded P-64 Mod. 70 that would not cut each of three shots with the next shot at 100, using several different loads, even factory ammo. This includes rifles in condiition from "unfired" to well-used when I bought them and in chamberings from .243Win., .270 Win. probably 10 different specimens over the years,.308Win-the LEAST accurate, surprisingly,.30-06-many, .264Win."drill", .300 H&H, .338WM and .375H&H.

These heavy, poorly balanced and, for what you get, too pricey, Ruger imitations of a "custom-express rifle" weigh more in .270Win. than my Dakota 76 does in .338WM and I have yet to see one that shoots well, consistently of the several I have seen and those I have shot.

I think that the issue here is with the "hammer forging" of the integral Q-rib and this causes various stresses and distortions in the barrel that tend to make it/them shoot erratically. After, about 20 different Ruger guns, over some 40+ years, I have found them to deliver less accuracy, overall, than some other makes....but, some Ruger models have other "redeeming" features, IMHO.

To date, the old Brnos, Husqys, FN and HVA ( a favourite for building 7 lb. .280 Rems.), FN and Browning Safaris on that action, and old Mod. 70s, have all given me far superior accuracy, without any bedding, than any Ruger rifle I have ever owned has....I currently have a Ruger MKII-.220 Swift, lam. stock, sporter configuration and this is to be tested later this year and loads, hopefully, developed for Wolf and Coyote hunting in the winters.

I bought this recently, as I wanted a Swift as a "beater" for such shooting as I am not going to spend $2500.00 or more on a decent P-64, scoped, for such hunting; such a P-64 would shoot, but, it would also be beaten up and I won't waste $$$$ that way as retirement income is less then we made while working.....life, tho', is MUCH better now that slaving away is "history"! smile

Each to his own, but, I just don't "get" Savage 99 on these as he HAS some FINE rifles and these seem more image than substance when compared with P-64s, Brnos and so forth....I would choose a 1980s Remmy KS over one of these and I am no 700 fan.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kutenay
If, this was such a "fine" and "wellmade" rifle, WHY would you HAVE to even touch the bedding?

I have yet to own, of 43 so far, an un-modded P-64 Mod. 70 that would not cut each of three shots with the next shot at 100, using several different loads, even factory ammo. This includes rifles in condiition from "unfired" to well-used when I bought them and in chamberings from .243Win., .270 Win. probably 10 different specimens over the years,.308Win-the LEAST accurate, surprisingly,.30-06-many, .264Win."drill", .300 H&H, .338WM and .375H&H.

These heavy, poorly balanced and, for what you get, too pricey, Ruger imitations of a "custom-express rifle" weigh more in .270Win. than my Dakota 76 does in .338WM and I have yet to see one that shoots well, consistently of the several I have seen and those I have shot.

I think that the issue here is with the "hammer forging" of the integral Q-rib and this causes various stresses and distortions in the barrel that tend to make it/them shoot erratically. After, about 20 different Ruger guns, over some 40+ years, I have found them to deliver less accuracy, overall, than some other makes....but, some Ruger models have other "redeeming" features, IMHO.

To date, the old Brnos, Husqys, FN and HVA ( a favourite for building 7 lb. .280 Rems.), FN and Browning Safaris on that action, and old Mod. 70s, have all given me far superior accuracy, without any bedding, than any Ruger rifle I have ever owned has....I currently have a Ruger MKII-.220 Swift, lam. stock, sporter configuration and this is to be tested later this year and loads, hopefully, developed for Wolf and Coyote hunting in the winters.

I bought this recently, as I wanted a Swift as a "beater" for such shooting as I am not going to spend $2500.00 or more on a decent P-64, scoped, for such hunting; such a P-64 would shoot, but, it would also be beaten up and I won't waste $$$$ that way as retirement income is less then we made while working.....life, tho', is MUCH better now that slaving away is "history"! smile

Each to his own, but, I just don't "get" Savage 99 on these as he HAS some FINE rifles and these seem more image than substance when compared with P-64s, Brnos and so forth....I would choose a 1980s Remmy KS over one of these and I am no 700 fan.

Kute, generally I agree with you. But if you have to ask, why would you even have to touch the bedding". There's still much you haven't learned in the "shooting world". That's like asking why adjust the trigger, or why freefloat, why work up loads? There's 2 real good reasons why you should bed a Ruger 77. I'll let you think about that for a while wink. And trust me when I say, I have a M77 338 win mag that will keep up with your Dakota 76 in every respect, except for price tag..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My 7mag Ruger Express. Found it in a local pawn shop.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,226
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.