Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
Pigs, pheasants, around here, squirrels and bunnies.

Never knew that pigs and pheasants were native critters to the Americas. Learn something new everyday.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Minor point, but Pheasants are not a native game bird.

In Pa. squirrels and rabbits are way below historic numbers of the 50s and 60s. Combined with the fact far fewer hunters try and kill them.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kudu numbers are higher now in the US of A then they were in 1801....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
cool grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ribka
I have met Gene and Barry Wensel at PBS banquets and bow hunting in Iowa.I happen to agree with his stand on x bows in archery season.

Both great guys and good ambassadors to hunting. Really funny too.

Not A big fan of hunting shows but if you want to see a decent hunting video watch their October Whitetails.

If you ban crossbows in archery, you ban compounds IMHO. I've no issue with either and hunt with all kinds, at my will.

I don't think the crossbow has ever given me and advantage that I couldn't have done with any of the other bows, but I like a bit of variety at times. ANd at times I don't have the time to practice as much as I should and feel I owe it too the animals to do the right thing.

Note I shoot the same distances with the crossbow if not less, on average, than any other bow I own. And I own more than a couple.

Yep hunting is commercialized. But haveing more "hunters" as well as "shooters" makes our sport that much more solid and hard to get rid of.

I don't agree with everyone on a lot of things, but as far as I"m concerned, you are the one that has to sleep with yourself at night, and beyond that if its down within the rules, who cares what others think.

Do it the way you want to, and the heck with others.

But too many people want to force their personal thoughts down everyone elses throats.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seems hunting at some point always becomes shooting, else it's just walking around with a gun/bow whatever.

Pretty sure shooting doesn't have a defined range to qualify it as shooting. When one pulls the trigger at 25 yards or 500 yards they are still shooting.

This is the answer to the question posed in the thread's title.

I've called calf elk in so close I could kill them with an axe, let a herd of doe muleys walk within 2 steps and browse for 30 minutes, and been almost run over by coyotes.

I guess to eliminate the "problem" that the author sees hunting degenerating into just "shooting", one would have to use a weapon that doesn't require "shooting" such as an axe, spear, or rock.

It seems the people who see the "shooting" part of hunting as a problem are those who can't

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Seems hunting at some point always becomes shooting, else it's just walking around with a gun/bow whatever.

Pretty sure shooting doesn't have a defined range to qualify it as shooting. When one pulls the trigger at 25 yards or 500 yards they are still shooting.

I've called calf elk in so close I could kill them with an axe, let a herd of doe muleys walk within 2 steps and browse for 30 minutes, and been almost run over by coyotes.

I guess to eliminate the "problem" that the author sees hunting degenerating into just "shooting", one would have to use a weapon that doesn't require "shooting" such as an axe, spear, or rock.

It seems the people who see the "shooting" part of hunting as a problem are those who can't

Pisses me off to agree with something you typed. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The long range hunting discussion here is where I find some interesting arguments. I think most of the bias against killing something at "long range" is due to pure ignorance, laziness in developing the shooting part of hunting's skill, and lack of knowledge as to what is possible.

Lol, nothing too judgmental there. smile

I have two main objections to long range hunting and the like: It takes place at such ranges that an animal's natural defense mechanisms are null and void, and that it crosses the line where a large portion of the non-hunting public (at whose discretion we are even allowed to hunt) objects based on perceived unfairness of chase.

Like it or not it matters how we are perceived by the non-hunting majority. And as far as I can gather they think this stuff stinks.

As far as John's objection to hunting degrading into an engineering problem? That would be an improvement over some of what I have seen. At times we, as a group, act like we have declared war on the animals we hunt. No technology too advanced, no advantage too great, no efficiency gained too extreme.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Never knew that pigs and pheasants were native critters to the Americas. Learn something new everyday.

Never said they were. But they occupy a lot of hunters these days, do they not?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I think you could call this thread "when hunting became killing" and it would be just as fitting

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ribka
I have met Gene and Barry Wensel at PBS banquets and bow hunting in Iowa.I happen to agree with his stand on x bows in archery season.

Both great guys and good ambassadors to hunting. Really funny too.

Not A big fan of hunting shows but if you want to see a decent hunting video watch their October Whitetails.

If you ban crossbows in archery, you ban compounds IMHO. I've no issue with either and hunt with all kinds, at my will.

I don't think the crossbow has ever given me and advantage that I couldn't have done with any of the other bows, but I like a bit of variety at times. ANd at times I don't have the time to practice as much as I should and feel I owe it too the animals to do the right thing.

Note I shoot the same distances with the crossbow if not less, on average, than any other bow I own. And I own more than a couple.

Yep hunting is commercialized. But haveing more "hunters" as well as "shooters" makes our sport that much more solid and hard to get rid of.

I don't agree with everyone on a lot of things, but as far as I"m concerned, you are the one that has to sleep with yourself at night, and beyond that if its down within the rules, who cares what others think.

Do it the way you want to, and the heck with others.

But too many people want to force their personal thoughts down everyone elses throats.

Jeff

I wouldnt be sad if they banned bows,crosswbows, muzzleloaders etc. They all contribute to huge amounts of wounded game and they typicaly have choice seasons dedicated to these stunts. And yea I have bow hunted, and currently crossbow hunt. Never lost an animal i shot yet, but know many that have.

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Learning to shoot well takes a lot of time and effort and some are not willing to put in that time and effort. The same can be said for physical conditioning.

That's the whole point. It really doesn't take much to become efficient at long range's anymore. Buy the Scope with the computer engraved turrets set for your bullet coefficient plug in your hand held computer program the correct information, and walla you kill your animal. There's no woodsman ship skills there, just technical ones. You can do the same thing on a game boy.

Our big game are getting killed easier, they are at a bigger unfair advantage. When does this long range shooting interfere with fair chase?

If your shooting a bow that shoots 100yrds as easy as the old long bow does at 20, then you belong in a muzzy season. If your muzzy shoots as good as the old 06, then you belong in the general rifle season. If your able to shoot past 500 yrds and kill then you belong at the range shooting competively, or shooting for the military at objects that can shoot back.

The resource will not be able to withstand this continuation,proliferation of making it easier to shoot things past 5 or 600 yrds. In much of the open west this will have, and is having a detrimental effect on our activities. Therefor, it's going to ruin what we have enjoyed for generations. It's a direct threat to sport hunting.

If there are animals that can take the pressure then I'm fine with the technology, but very few will be able to. Do we go limited entry for everything just because people want to use this technology?

Because one man might be more fit, stronger, or faster than another is a lame example of why technology should expand. I'm sorry but not everyone will be as competitive with each other physically, and that's the way it should be. We learn early on in life that certain people are gifted at one thing or another. I can't draw for chit, nor hold a note. I don't feel that I should be able to go on "America's got Talent" and get to sing using a karaoke machine,because I'm not gifted and win the contest. Nor do I feel that I should be able to use bionic legs to compete in the Olympics to make it fair.

All those things take away from the real act.

Do we want that?

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Give you Black Bear.

Check the historic 10 to 12 year peaks on Ruffed Grouse in Wisconsin and you will see a steadily declining scale.

Even though the data shows a population decline, I maintain the population in the state is greater than in the 1800's. Grouse habitat comparison is key. For example 1812 versus 2012 the landscape has changed dramatically. Don't want to hijack this thread further. Would be open to discuss in PM's.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No need. I probably agree with regards to the 1800's comparison. With Grouse numbers I only have recent historical data-last time I checked it went back to the 60's-to make a comparison.

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Journey of Challenge

Thought some of you might like, or understand more by watching this video.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Never said they were. But they occupy a lot of hunters these days, do they not?

Sorry, my bad. I assumed you talking to the question asked, as roundoak was.

"What native game animals other than Whitetails have a proven population increase over the numbers of the 1800's? "

Kudo are up since the 1800's, Axis deer, Oryx, Water Buffalo, Zebra, lots of stuff.

No real reason to stick to the questions asked, FFE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kudu numbers are higher now in the US of A then they were in 1801....

Nilgai and Oryx, too grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 4100fps
Journey of Challenge

Thought some of you might like, or understand more by watching this video.

What's the challenge that bow hunting offers that rifle hunting doesn't?

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Didn't watch the video did you?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 4100fps
Didn't watch the video did you?

I just did. Great vid, thanks for posting it.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,523,002
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.