Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atvalaska
my dad was born in Pierre...but he's passed on ...so there is room there for one more...

Casey Tibbs lived north of Pierre a ways so it ain't all bad.

Best brawl I ever got in was at the Hopscotch bar way back in about 1953. Couple of us got it started and pretty soon everybody there was in on it. Cops never did show up.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I used to live in Chamberlain right on the river. Humid during the summers there. Damn good walleye fishing thats for dang sure. Hopefully one day go pheasant hunting with my father.

Alpha Mike Foxtrot!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have lived in SD for 53 years. Bobcape has done the best job of detailing it for you. But like other places all the best hunting is not free access wise. Those GFP CO jobs? Buffalo/ Harding co some of the best deer and antelope west river hunting borders Montana and North Dakota. This CO position has been open for 4-6 years,it's real strong landowner rights country and they ran the last CO outta there on a rail. Faith/ Northern Meade and Perkins Cos. deer and antelope with upland and waterfowl hunting in places.Ranch country and also strong landowner rights area.Hayti is I believe Kingsbury Co flatland pheasant country/ waterfowl with glacial lakes and sloughs. Phillip/Haakon Co. strong ranch country deer some antelope and upland, Like Buffalo and Faith around Phillip strong connections are needed for access.Redfield/Spink Co waterfowl and pheasant country the heart of some of SD best pheasant hunting if you have the connections and or money for access.Check out the SD Bureau of Personnal website and look at the pay scales and benfits ,it's a shock compared to wages in other states. The majority of South Dakotans still have family type values. If you get an interview look around for a few days to get a feel for the place it's different. Like the other LEO positions in the state you do 20 and can retire if you can afford it(tough these days).Good luck with your job search. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobcape
The eastern third is the flat part. Nothing much out that way. We�re thinking of letting Minnesota take it over. laugh (The east river fellows will like that a lot.)

Bob

Them's fightin' words! wink

Glacial Lakes region up here has hills (Coteau des Prairie said Nicollet when he explored the region) and those lakes make for pretty good fishing. Hunting isn't bad either. "South Dakota: The land of infinite variety." It's all good but don't think I'd want to get stuck up around, say, Lemmon.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh hell there is plenty of public land access east river and without heavy pressure once the out of staters get done with pheasants. Particularly if they keep the out of state waterfowl licenses down and give residents first shot at big game tags. Most farmers I know will let you hunt if you ask nicely and appear to be the decent sort. And if they're not holding it for relatives. (Excluding early season pheasants when the out of staters are about, pheasants have become a sort of cash crop.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I appriciate all of the great responses.. from the sounds of it, I made a pretty good decision applying, now if they are going to call me in for an interview, that's the real question.

The cold winters wouldn't bother me much.. I have a high tolerance for cold.. I actually prefer it. Now, as for the hot, humid summers.. not so much, but I get that here as well, especially this year.. so I suppose it would be more of the same.

I have actually been looking around for jobs.. Conservation Officer/Game Warden jobs in a few other states that interest me.. Wyoming, Nevada, Alaska, South Dakota, Montana and Maine. I actually went to school and graduated with my Bachelor's in order to get hired onto the West Virginia DNR.. and somehow I ended up working for a Sheriff's Office.. but the dream has never really expired.. I have been toying around with relocating alot latly, so I figured why not try to slip into the position that I have always wanted to be in at the same time.

The no income tax thing for a few states is a real insentive.. I was looking at one of my check stubs yesterday, and honestly, all else being equal, that's a fairly substancial raise in this day and age, when every penny counts.

After checking a few sites for property in South Dakota, vacant land doesn't appear to be that bad, if one is looking for under 50 acres.. though again, it's hard to get a gauge on things when there is no specific city/town/region being mentioned.

From what everyone has described, I am hoping that there are openings west of the Missouri.. and more specifically, the Black Hills area. That seems more.. 'me.'

Thanks again everyone.. I appriciate the responses.

If anyone works for or knows someone who works for the SDGFP service, let me know, I wouldn't mind picking your brain.

Last edited by J23; 07/27/13.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It has lands so bad..............
they are called BADLands.
and Dead Wood.
Even Injuns don't want it!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I will be PCSing there in the next couple of weeks. We cant wait, there seems to be a ton of opertunities to hunt and fish. I have an 'in' with some ranchers south of the base. I can see myself staying there for a good long while.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I will be PCSing there in the next couple of weeks. We cant wait, there seems to be a ton of opertunities to hunt and fish. I have an 'in' with some ranchers south of the base. I can see myself staying there for a good long while.

Welcome. You'll enjoy it. I notice you're currently in ROK. I was stationed in Teague, Camp Henry. I loved it, I did almost two years there. Hope you enjoyed your tour there.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I moved from Idaho to the Black Hills last winter. We found the property prices a little higher than in the Boise area. Wages are lower and we don't see the COL any lower.

You have to be an archer to take advantage of the big game opportunities, far more days than rifle.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was born there too, in a sod hut on the prairie in Lemmon, to a homesteading family in 1909. Unfortunately, the continuing drought drove them to give up and return to North Dakota, along with everyone else in their community. I heard that two people stayed.

I think conditions are better today. laugh

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
South Dakota is a great place to live. Born and raised here and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We did the black hills on our honey moon 10 years ago. Our annivesrsary is coming up and she wants to go see the musical in medora.

I'd rather go scouting archery muley hunting in SD but I guess I must conform to to the deal....

Last edited by Rooster7; 07/27/13.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take ya Rooster, I know where all the mulies are, I'm just a whitetail man myself.

SD is a good state.

err I mean, I'm surprised anyone wants to live here, I'd move if I could save enough to afford it. stay out whilst you can! laugh

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I'll take ya Rooster, I know where all the mulies are, I'm just a whitetail man myself.

SD is a good state.

err I mean, I'm surprised anyone wants to live here, I'd move if I could save enough to afford it. stay out whilst you can! laugh

LOL Ryan! I just saw this post today. I really would like to bowhunt mulies in SD. I have quite a few times in ND and it was always a blast!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's right west of Minnesota, right between Nebraska and North Dakota.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

SD is a good state.

LOL Ryan! I just saw this post today. I really would like to bowhunt mulies in SD. I have quite a few times in ND and it was always a blast!

I'm going next year, God willing and tags drawn. With a rifle of course. I've had a chubby for deer hunting in the BH's for many years now. Haven't been there since I was a kid but I'll be there hopefully next year. Whitetail or Mulie, doesn't bother me. It's the hunt I'm after. smile

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, 11 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.