Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
New M4 carbine build with Jp gas system and Vortex HD GEN II 1-6X(pictures too)
Vortex 1-6 Razor Review

I�m not going to try to get very technical with this review. We all know they make some incredible optics so why waste time. I�ve had this scope on my rifle for about a month now. Along with the scope I have their throw lever and the quick detachable mount. With this build I wanted to go all out and use the best of everything on this rifle. With the AR15 market being the way it is, a parts build would be the only way to ever get this project up and running. All the parts for the rifle were purchased through Brownells. Fast delivery and no price gouging during the past year, which has been great--I�m a customer for life. I contacted Doug, from Cameraland, for my optics. I�ve known Doug for 13 years now and he is my �go-to guy� for sports optics.
As far as the rifle, I started with a stripped Noveske upper and lower. I wanted a flared lower for easier reloads. The barrel is a White Oak 16in threaded with a PWS compensator. I wanted to try something new and went with a JP low mass bolt, JP capture spring and adjustable gas system. My last �gamer� gun purchase was a Geissele Super 3 gun trigger. These parts added much more to the cost of the gun but I figured, �buy once, cry once�. The other parts are all items I�ve used in past builds so I knew they were good to go.
Once I had the rifle assembled it only took about 9 rounds to dial in the gas system. At first, I didn�t think it was money well spend. Then after a few magazine changes I grabbed my other M4 to compare the two. Wow! Was that first shot an eye opener. I was surprised how much more recoil there was in a standard gas system. So now the rifle and the scope were both ready to be run though the paces. The first thing I noticed about the Razor was the huge field of view. Compared to my other scope it was enormous. I found it much easier to acquire targets at 7yards on my new rifle compared to my old race gun. The glass is extremely bright and I love the dial system for the red dot. Even on the brightest day setting 7 could easily be seen. I like how it has clicks to turn it off between each brightness setting. No need to return to off to turn the red dot off. You can dial this brightness up to 11 so there is never an instance where you won�t be able to see the dot. The dot stays very fine and doesn�t flare.
Another unexpected advantage to the Razor is the color. I wanted to build a rifle with a flat dark earth colored grip, stock, and hand guard. The color really looks great. I painted some small parts with KG Gunkote Socom Tan to add some more accent to the rifle. I�ve shot the rifle out to 500 yards so far. Having a 1-6x zoom is a key feature of this scope. The zoom moves so smooth and I didn�t have to work it back and forth to break it in. The turrets have very precise clicks that are 1/2 moa adjustments. I�d probably like them to have no caps since I do crank the turrets when I shoot. At my shoots we start at 50yards and work down to 7 yards. Having 6X magnification at 50 yards makes precise shots easy. With the setup my scope to bore center to center is about 2.6in. Instead of holding off, I just crank my zero up to be dead-on at 7yards. Our targets turn fast and there is little time to acquire the target. One stage the target turns and is only exposed for 1 second, so you really have to pay attention to it turning. The Razor is very forgiving with eye relief and it�s a true 1x. So many guys have a tough time at this stage. Today while practicing I was able to start from low ready and get 5 shots off in 2.29 seconds. I was shooting a 6 inch bull at 12 yards.
Over the past year I�ve probably built 15 rifles for my buddies. Everyone has their own favorite parts so I�ve tried so many combos over the year. I�m no expert but I consistently place very high in my matches. This setup is what works for me. I�ve seen rifles and optics that fail at the worst times. Having a reticle like the JM-1 along with a red dot is a great feature. Even if your battery dies you still have a reticle. (unlike an Aimpoint or Eotech) It�s such an uncluttered reticle and easy to use. (KISS principle) Anyone using Vortex seems to never have any issues with retaining zero or failure in general. It is a heavy scope but my rifle comes out to 8.75 lbs which isn�t too bad. I know this scope is built to last and a few bumps aren�t going to affect it. Vortex did their homework on this scope. I can�t find anything I�d change for another feature that�s needed. I�d like to thank Doug and Shamus for the help with the optics.

My parts list:

Noveske upper/lower
White Oak barrel 16in
PWS compensator
Midwest Industry 12in hand guard
Hogue grip
Magpul Moe stock, bad lever, Asap sling mount
Jp capture spring, low mass carrier, adjustable gas block
Geissele Super 3 gun trigger
DPMS ambi safety (I'm lefty)
KNS pins
oversized magazine release and charging handle
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x
Vortex Cantilever quick release mount

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bhoges; 08/04/13.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That Vortex gets great reviews everywhere I've seen. The only downside is the weight of 25 oz.

Wondering how much difference the JP low mass setup makes over the brake by itself. But with the way you built it, it should shoot like a 22 LR I'd think.

Buy once, cry once is right. Nice gun.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I did the brake first and I have to say it makes a huge difference over a standard A2 hider. The Jp system is a huge difference over a standard gas system. My other M4 has the same brake and everything else except for the Jp parts. When you go from one rifle to the other you feel a huge difference. The recoil is slower and the muzzle barely climbs. Its expensive I'd say you add about 300 to the cost of a build.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good to know, ya they are expensive but if it helps your shooting, it's worth it.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Faster follow up shots. Its perfect for 3 gun.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do your matches consist of?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Here are some on the standards for the matches that are run. They vari a little as far as times and targets. He changes things every few shoots. We have turning targets and last year they turn without any sound so its a little harder.
http://rifleshooter.com/standards/

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Here is an old video from one stage
http://youtu.be/8PcLhdgxER4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm liking the Razor. Nice rifle too.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd lose the BAD lever unless you're replacing the bolt release spring; lots of instances where it causes the bolt to not hold open, or hold open when the gun's not empty.

Gonna put BUIS on?

IC B3

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes your right Ive had issue with the BAD causing failures to lock back. Cost me a match last year on a reload. No sights Ill keep it the way it is for now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
I'd lose the BAD lever unless you're replacing the bolt release spring; lots of instances where it causes the bolt to not hold open, or hold open when the gun's not empty.

Gonna put BUIS on?

If it holds open with rounds remaining, it is because YOU hit it. If it doesn't lock back, you have a weak mag spring, most likely.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Gonna put BUIS on?

If it holds open with rounds remaining, it is because YOU hit it. If it doesn't lock back, you have a weak mag spring, most likely.

The advantages of a BAD lever might be meaningful in competition, but the questionable reliability is poor form on a fighting rifle; it is what it is.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

The advantages of a BAD lever might be meaningful in competition, but the questionable reliability is poor form on a fighting rifle; it is what it is.

That's ironic..... I have them on every issued rifle and a lot of my teammates use them as well. I wont have a rifle without a BAD lever any more.

The only issue has been one (1) M4A1 that had a standard carbine buffer in it and would fail to lock back about 10% of the time. An H2 buffer solved the lock back issue.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A lighter buffer wouldn't lock it back but adding an H2 did. I had one do something similar, it was running the bolt faster than the mag spring would pop the follower up.

What did the BAD lever have to do with it?

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Not true, the BAD lever can induce failure's. I have two new builds that failed to lock to the rear. That was with new mags, new rifle and factory ammo. I believe you need a stronger bolt stop spring due to the added weight of the lever attached to the bolt stop.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.