Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry, that was tongue in cheek. When speaking specifically about M4 type carbines, the Colt 6920 has all of those attributes whereas very few other manufactures do in their M4 type offering.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hound, I was fixing to call BS on that one, LOL.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hound_va
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

Personally, considering the labor and taxes involved in making a colt rifle, I'd be really leary of buying a cheap $1000 colt. They had to do some serious cost cutting somewhere to pay all those overpaid employess and still make the gun for that cost.

They did in their 6920. They used a non-certified barrel steel which isn't the same composition as called for in an actual M4 and then skipped the HPT and MPI. Then combine that barrel with a non-standardized gas port. They use a cheaper to manufacture receiver extension of unspecified material composition on it. They skip properly staking the gas key and the receiver extension nut where they instead use loctite. They install a regular carbine buffer to go with a generous gas port. They use a bolt of unspecified material composition and then skip the HPT and MPI on it. It can be hit and miss on which extractor spring and buffer are installed too.

Oh wait..... whistle laugh

Hound do you figure the DM bandit can figure this out? Or will it go over his head? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good rifle. Over priced. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by TWR
When the cheap guns hit $1000 it made it a no brainer to go Colt for an extra hundred.

Personally, considering the labor and taxes involved in making a colt rifle, I'd be really leary of buying a cheap $1000 colt. They had to do some serious cost cutting somewhere to pay all those overpaid employess and still make the gun for that cost.

No.

They sell guns to the military for significantly less money. They also make more ARs than nearly anyone else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't hate Windhams. As a matter of fact I love all black rifle builders.....

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It appears some worship at the all mighty alter of milspec. If you get away from milspec there are other things that are better.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Please go ahead and enlighten us on what characteristics 4140 has that are indeed better than what is called for by MIL-B11595E. Please feel free to explain what is "better" that you are speaking of in ref to M4 carbines.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tell us the one about red loctite being better than staking too...

Mil spec is a minimum that has been tested. Commercial is an excuse.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It appears some worship at the all mighty alter of milspec. If you get away from milspec there are other things that are better.

Better how? You always chime in to mock mil-spec and talk about better and the best you have to offer is a heavy Rock River.

A rifle that meets military specs isn't always necessary, but if you say something else is BETTER you ought to be able to explain how.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
umm ok well I don't have time to go into it all but here watch a video and enlighten yourself it talks about milspec and how departing from it in many cases means a better gun. get off the freaking colt high horse, they have your gun if you want to pay too much and be stuck with limited options and m4 barrel profiles. mil spec isn't the be all end all.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn't point at RRA as being "better than mil spec."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So the Nut guy whom I am sure graduated from Mechanical Engineering at Harvard Summa Cum Laude is relying on his own genius and easily discounts all the military has learned about the AR-15 since Vietnam!

Buy what you want and listen to Nut guy recommendation for your self defense carbine as he is smarter than everyone else, why just look at all the Military contracts the superior RRA's rifle has won!

Last edited by jimmyp; 08/29/13.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't watch the video. I started it and the name "nut'n fancy" popped up so I turned right off. The guy has a really bad habit of using a 100 words when 2 will get the job done. My own personal experience outweighs a youtube video anyway.

As far as Mil-Spec VS Non-Mil-Spec goes. Well, for me it just depends on what I want the weapon for. If I'm looking for a rifle for home defense, etc. I do want a mil-spec rifle and for me personally I don't want much if any aftermarket crap on it. I can certainly understand why some feel mil-spec isn't needed as most real world civilian gunfights only involve a few rounds but, a true mil spec (i.e. Colt) personally gives me peace of mind. Now if it's a hunting, plinking, target rifle, I could care less if it's Mil-Spec or not and would actually prefer some parts not be Mil-Spec. More accurate barrel, smoother/lighter trigger, etc.

It just all depends on what I want the rifle for. Me personally, I'm down to two. One short barreled Colt 6920 for personal defense and a super accurate lightweight semi custom without the first Mil-Spec part on it for punching paper and hunting. I'm very happy with both.

As far as Windham goes, who knows but I would take one over a BCM anyday wink

Last edited by TC1; 08/29/13. Reason: just clarified a few things

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
why is the first response to criticize the maker of the video?? If anyone has tested AR 15's more and more different brands please link to their video!!!! This guy actually shoots the guns in environments that will test them and yeah the videos are long because there is alot of info gathered.

I know we are talking about windham AR's so why a rock river video. RRA is a company that on purpose departs from milspec, I can't think of another brand that so happily departs from mil spec. thats why I posted the video, maybe all the non mil spec haters might actually learn something. if you bought an overpriced options limited colt and can't stomach there being a better value out there, then just consider yourself close minded. AR 15's DONT START AND END WITH COLT.

take the time to learn what mil spec actually is and what it means to the gun. there are limiting factors with mil spec, know what they are, I could care less if my bolt is MPI. none of us here is going to be fighting the taliban with our own personal AR 15's so why not have better parts OR parts that better suit the intended use of your gun. that is all I am saying. your barrel is too long so your gun isn't really mil spec anyways, and you will never need the step down in the m4 barrel contour for a grenade launcher. so quit running around like some military ninja, thinking my gun is mil spec and its better than yours. that sounds like a freaking 5th grader in the bathroom trying to say his hog is bigger than yours. the question should be are the parts reliable for the intended use you put them through, ie not fighting the taliban or insurgents. most guys never put thousands of rounds through their guns either.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
why is the first response to criticize the maker of the video??

I gave you a reason. I personally find the guy annoying. I happen to agree with a lot of his points on different guns but find it fatiguing to sit through 45 min. of what could have been covered in 5.

I think most here know what mil spec is and isn't plus you're way out of line with your military ninja and 5th grader comments.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The big flaw with the video is that the Nut dude takes a substandard feature and tries to sell it as an advantage. Like a used car salesman telling you the rust holes in the floor will keep you cool at 60 MPH.

Most would agree that by accepting his "review" of the RRA features you have to reject years of tried and validated practice by the US and other world military organizations.

The RRA gun is probably a very accurate and acceptable rifle with a decent barrel on it and will make a fine hunting or plinking gun. On the other hand you are doing a disservice by trying to delude others into thinking the RRA gun is as good as a Colt for LE or home defense use.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
... On the other hand you are doing a disservice by trying to delude others into thinking the RRA gun is as good as a Colt for LE or home defense use.

In December 2003, after outperforming 10 other manufacturers in rifle abuse tests, Rock River Arms was awarded a contract with the Drug Enforcement Administration for a minimum of 5,000 LAR-15 rifles to be purchased over five years.[5] As a result of Rock River Arms winning the DEA contract, other federal agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and United States Marshals, have also obtained Rock River Arms weapons under piggyback contracts.[6]

Above is from Wikipedia .. so take the reference for what its worth.

Added the a link to the reference, didn't read it, just providing it.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=4138

Was looking for a mid-weight target/plinking/vermin ... saw one of the Windham variants, but always here folks **tch*** about them. Rarely a nice thing to say. So I thought I'd ask.

Actually finally settled on a Rock River ATH. Nice rifle, I like it.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't matter if you're fighting or hunting with your AR, the deal is exactly as I said it was; when the cheap guns hit $1000, it made it a no brainer to spend an extra $100 for a Colt.

Now there has been 2 companies make a bolt that could be better than mil spec. KAC has probably the best bolt out there and has proven it in testing.
One other company that I can't recall right now, has offset lugs that in theory should make em last longer.

Stronger steel and manufacturing methods mean something to me, don't care what horse anyone else wants to ride.

All others need not apply.

It's foolish to think that folks cutting corners on all the little details that 40+ years of testing dictated as necassary could offer anything better at $100 or even $200 less.

FWIW, I have one Colt pencil barrel left that gave me a 6" group at 400 yards last Saturday. The rest of my stuff varies to suit my needs or wants, I have no factory AR but if I bought another one it would be a Colt.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,456
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.