Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I killed a coyote a few years back the had one or more toes missing off each of its feet.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I killed a coyote a few years back the had one or more toes missing off each of its feet.

Have skinned several with one or a few toes missing. Wasn't counting those.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Have skinned several with one or a few toes missing. Wasn't counting those.

That's probably a combination of a guy that's not bedding his traps properly and a real dumb K9..

Even the dumbest trap-line dog will learn to avoid em after getting pinched a couple of times.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
your probably right. I'm not a judge of these animals but I thought he was old.

I was deer hunting a place I'd never been before and was standing atop a small hill overlooking a 40 acre fresh cut over. Still very early. Caught movement and watched as it come up the fire lane I as standing in. He stopped about 30' away , looking at me and turning his head side to side trying to figure what the big orange blob was standing before him. He didn't move as I raised my rifle and fired.

Last edited by websterparish47; 08/13/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
your probably right. I'm not a judge of these animals but I thought he was old.

Might have been old.
You don't have to be young to be dumb.
I'm living proof of that. frown

Heck, I'm not even positive the missing toes were due to trapping, but that's definitely a common occurrence.
I doubt they froze off in LA. Snapping Turtles maybe? grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tripod the wonder bear. I know he never got shot where he was, but don't know what happened to him.Used to see him everyday for a stretch, munching alfalfa.

[Linked Image]

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Shot a 2 1/2 legged, 47 pound raccoon. Missing a whole front foot and no toes on a hind.....

Huntsman22 that's a huge raccoon.

Ive shot a coyote that someone had shot in the paw but never one that was completely missing a leg or anything. Shot a few that looked like rats from mange.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Tripod the wonder bear. I know he never got shot where he was, but don't know what happened to him.Used to see him everyday for a stretch, munching alfalfa.

[Linked Image]

WOW!
That's something else.
Thanks for posting it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Mower when he was a cub?

Fawns will hide in the hay or grain and not move till the cutter hits them sometimes. Ugly job to clean a fawn out of a combine header!

I think a mowing machine accounts for some of the missing coyote legs in my country. I've seen coyotes follow right behind the cutter bar, grabbing mice when the hay over them is cut and exposes them. Never saw one jump in front of the cutter to grab a mouse but a dumb coyote or pup might.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by laker
Huntsman22 that's a huge raccoon.

Here is his hide just draped over, not stretched, on a #6 wire coyote stretcher.

[Linked Image]

He was the biggest coon I ever got, with the biggest baccuulum,and I have never seen another one with a bigger weiner bone......Prolly my only hope ever, to make the B&C record book. Been waiting along time for them to make the category...grin. I'll kick ass.......

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
After looking up this pic. of the two that we got one weekend that I recalled were 3 legged, actually they both have all 4, just something wrong with one leg on both of them not allowing the coyote to use them. Probably broken at some point.
[Linked Image]

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Give that thing to a liberal for a drink stir stick.

Did the fur buyer grade that coon as a bear cub?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That coon brought $50. Of course, since I was that buyers skinner, he always treated me right....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In a cold climate a trapped coyote is going to be walking on a block of ice in a few minutes. If he then manages to pull out, he'll lose the foot if he lives long enough.

Trapped a fox one winter that pulled trap and all free from the log to which it was attached as I got within 100 yards or so. I failed to connect on him with the 22 pistol so he escaped in temps which were above zero. In the week that followed, I began to see his tracks, along with the skid marks of the coil springs as he shuffled around in the now-deep sub-zero temps. This went on for awhile as I tried every which way to lure the hungry animal into another set. Of course he was wary so I had trouble connecting again. When I finally made a blind trail set and caught him, I managed to collect the trap from a very frozen foot. He would have lost the foot in time without a doubt. However, he was making do and likely would have been able to adapt better when the extra baggage was gone.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
check out this video of a three legged bear about 1 minute into it- sorry I don't remember how to show it directly here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00XufSnrvvg

Last edited by Fireball2; 08/13/13.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Coon's a forkin monster Don!
Makes my 36 pounder look like a pup. frown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Okanogan's probably right about that Bear loosing it's leg to a mower. I've heard that it pretty common in the north country.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Okanogan's probably right about that Bear loosing it's leg to a mower. I've heard that it pretty common in the north country.

Ordinarily that would be a good guess, but that country hasn't seen a mower or swather. I took the picture up in the Firebag heavy oil project north of Fort Macmurry. New roads and the edges of leases are often seeded to rye, alfalfa or clover to stabilize the soil from erosion, then eventually it returns to native vegetation. The location is also the reason that I'm certain that nobody shot its leg off. The chances of someone sneaking a rifle past security are slim and none, and the oil company is the type that builds bridges so wildlife can easily cross above ground pipe-lines. They are also know to med-evac the occasional duck.

Dad cut all 4 feet off his own dog shortly before I was born. I'd forgotten about that story until now.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no , but have killed a couple of three legged deer

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ordinarily that would be a good guess, but that country hasn't seen a mower or swather.

Gottcha,,, when you said alfalfa I "assumed".
Any idea what might have happened? Old Boar maybe?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I shot a 3 legged silver fox several years ago, only one ever seen around here. It was the week after deer gun season and I know the guy that shot it's leg off the week before.

A guy in our group also shot a coyote with 3 legs and the leg that was missing was missing at the knee. It was twisted off and the "knuckle" was exposed the woulnd was quite fresh.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 52 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.