Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Outfitter: Wild Footprint Safaris
Owner/Operator/PH: Pieter-Louis LeRoux aka PL
Hunter: Brad Kempf
Hunt dates: July 1-10 (Arrived on 6/30 and left 7/11)
Hunt Area: Northwest Province - Rustenburg area.
Rifles:
CZ 550 Safari Magnum 375 H&H using 270gr Hornday Interlock handloads
CZ 550 American 338-06 using 210gr Swift Scirocco II handloads.

Animals taken: Greater Southern Kudu, Zebra, Bushbuck, Female Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Mountain Reedbuck, Warthog.

Animals seen but not taken: Steenbok, Duiker, Red Hartebeest, Waterbuck, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Baboon, Monkey, Porcupine, Sable, Eland, Nyala, and Jackal.

Birds Seen: Malachite Kingfisher, Fish Eagle, Pied Kingfisher, Guineau, Doves, Francolin, Hornbill (yellow, black, orange), Little Grebe, White-faced Duck, Ibyss, Red-billed Oxpecker, Lilac-breasted Roller, Grey Lourie, and Harrier-Hawk (gymnogene). There were others but didn�t get all the names.

I had previously hunted with Pieter-Louis back in 2009 and had a great time. I knew I'd be back since I had missed a kudu and needed to avenge that miss. Especially since I had jerked the shot and ended up putting a nice .375" diameter hole in a stick near where the kudu stood. PL decided to keep that stick as a souvenir. Talk about adding insult to injury. crazy So, in early 2012 I contacted PL and worked out the details for this trip.

Flight was Delta economy comfort KCI/ATL/JNB and Air 2000 for meet-n-greet/gun permits. All flights/gun pick-up both directions went without a hitch. PL met me at central reception and we were out the door in super short order headed for camp.

Camp/Hunting Areas:

I was the only hunter in camp as PL doesn�t like to mix groups. PL�s wife Tarina is also heavily involved with the business and spent a lot of time in camp. My trip just happened to be the same time as school holiday so all four of their daughters were in camp too which made for a real �down home� feel. Food was excellent as expected, and never left the table hungry.

Camp is on 5,000 acres PL owns and started constructing in 2010; I must say I was really impressed. I could tell he put a lot of work into it and also in the layout so as to keep a bunch of the camel thorn trees. Chalets were like most others with en suite bathrooms. Good water pressure and super hot courtesy of LP fired instantaneous in-line heaters.

The only hunting done on PL�s land is for varmints, etc., as it�s more a working cattle ranch with some sheep, pigs and chickens thrown in. And I can�t forget the African wildcat, (2) spotted genets and a caracal that he had trapped and were in big cages. The caracal sure did have some attitude problems. The areas I hunted were all within a 15 minute drive of camp. As is commonly found, they were high-fenced except for one that was high-fence on 2 sides (property boundary), and low fence the other sides. The low fence area was cattle pasture bisected by a river. The other areas were mountainous and savanna woodland.

A few pictures of camp
Front View
[Linked Image]

Common areas and fire pit
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chalet
[Linked Image]

A full cooler box of these is a good thing.
[Linked Image]

Day 1:
What a great morning. I�m in Africa going hunting!!! Did the checking of rifles and then headed out to look for a kudu. Saw lots of different animals, and did spot a shooter bull about 10:30. It was about 240 yards but I didn�t attempt a shot as I just couldn�t get a comfortable rest. We did see some mountain reedbuck that qualified as shooters but held off not wanting to spook any other game. Went back that afternoon and set up over a salt lick but no bulls showed up. All in all an awesome day because did I mention I was IN AFRICA!! grin

Day 2:
The plan for this morning was to walk up the mountain and sneak over the ridge looking for a kudu. That plan didn�t work as we didn�t come across any shooter bulls, but did get a bit of exercise. We then bummed around other parts of the mountain, come up a little knoll and there goes a bull and 2 cows. In the thick trees and brush they were gone from sight in an instant. We followed over the knoll and thought they may have circled down the hill behind us. We sat down to glass and we did finally spot them, but were over 500 yards off and no way to get really close. We just made a note of that and went to try a spot we didn�t look at the day before, which happened to be the highest point on the mountain. Drove over there to relax a moment and take some pictures. While I was taking pictures PL eased off over the hill to see what might be hanging out in the trees. About 10 minutes later he comes hoofing it back saying he spotted a good bull that took off to the northwest and crossed down into the adjacent gully. So we hurry back to where we can look down in the gully. Nothing, but it was so choked with brush that you couldn�t see much anyway. PL was certain the bull hadn�t crossed over the next ridge either. So, we drive over to the other side of the gully and look back. Can�t see a thing and then all of a sudden I spot the bull heading back up over the hill where we had just come from! So its back in the truck and race over to where we saw it last. We bail out of the truck and ease around the side of the knoll until we can find a spot with a view of where that bull might come out. We sat down in a �nest� of rocks and got ready. After about 15 minutes we can hear it in the rocks and at 112 yards it appears in an opening and stops facing right, quartering away. I squeeze off a round from the 338-06 and he drops right on the spot!!! The pressure was finally off!! I had my kudu. Redemption was mine. I then commenced to tell PL he needed to burn that stick he had kept. Ha! Upon inspection the bullet had entered about the 3rd rib back, nicked the spine, got some lung, and embedded itself in the far shoulder. It was 11:30. There was no good way to get the truck in there so a call was placed to camp and PL�s two oldest daughters brought out the skinners. They got there about 1:00 and by 2:30 had it all skinned out, quartered and loaded in the truck ready to go.

View of the mountain I shot the kudu on.
[Linked Image]

Top of the mountain I got the kudu on. I shot it just down the hill from the group of trees to the right.
[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/Heeler75/RSA%20July%202013/ClearMorning_zps45859689.jpg[/img]

My Gray Ghost of Africa.
[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/Heeler75/RSA%20July%202013/Kudu_zpsadc89867.jpg[/img]

Had to take a picture of the hoof wear.
[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/Heeler75/RSA%20July%202013/Needsshoes_zps22057e60.jpg[/img]

Recovered bullet - retained about 90% of weight
[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/Heeler75/RSA%20July%202013/Bullet_zpsc4d5a4c4.jpg[/img]

I'll get more up later but time for lunch now.

Last edited by Heeler; 08/12/13.

He went over yonder way
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations os FINE kudu! love the wide horns! Good performance out of that Swift!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice bull.

H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Day 2 cont:
As we were heading back to camp I had PL stop long enough to take this picture. A baboon got its hand wedged into the framework and couldn�t get out. Tough way to go.

[Linked Image]

After we had a quick lunch it was off to another property to look for zebra and female wildebeest. PL definitely believes in �making hay� when you have the chance. We had no more than got started and we were startled to see a HUGE impala standing in the middle of the road feeding. I got caught napping and it was gone before I could do anything about it. We kept on and not 20 minutes after getting there I spot 3 zebra looking at us. We move up further and there is one broadside at 35 yards. PL gave me the green light when the others cleared. I had switched to the 375 H&H and offhand let it eat. It stumbled and took off in a 60 degree reverse direction. I could tell she was hit hard. We moved up to where she had been and there was a blood trail a blind man could follow. It went for about 50 yards and there my zebra mare lay. She had been quartering away and the bullet went in behind the shoulder and took out the heart. It was 4:30. Got the pictures done and loaded up then tried until dark for a wildebeest but no dice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Day 3:
This morning it was time to head for the river after bushbuck!!! We got there right about 7:00, parked the truck, and took off walking. It was little chilly down by the water. I was enjoying this. Reminded me of being back home and hunting whitetail. We crossed over the river and hadn�t gone 200 yards and spot a bushbuck ram. Before I can even get a look it takes off. Well, this set off some baboons close by. I swear I think I need to make a trip over there just to shoot them things, as annoying as they can get. We continue on following the river and all of a sudden I hear PL say �shoot that pig!� I step around him, see the warthog, and before I can even get the gun up it�s gone. I did catch a glimpse and it was big. I figured it was though if the PH is willing to interrupt a bushbuck hunt for a warthog.

So, it was more walking along the river to the end of the property and then crossing over for a walk down a different river branch. In the creek bed we saw a pig that had died from a poacher�s snare. The snare had gotten behind the tusks and clamped the jaws shut. Just as we topped out on the bank, we walked past a warthog hole at less than 3 feet and then we have what I�ll call the �Warthog Incident�. All of sudden we hear a loud noise, some dust and here comes pigs just boiling out of the hole. It was 2 adult females and about 4 young �uns. Luckily the females took off the opposite direction. The little ones were coming our way and I had my rifle barrel pointing at them going �hey, hey, hey� trying to shoo them off. I had glanced over and PL was doing the same with the shooting sticks. After that I wasn't cold anymore. That got the blood pumping!

We let the air settle a bit and continued on. We saw a smaller ram, and watched him for a few moments before he scampered off. We only had about 500 yards more of river to cover before we hit the end. As we were walking we saw/heard a bushbuck in the river heading away from us. I caught a quick glimpse and thought it was a nice ram but not for sure. We kept on going and as we were just getting close to the end of the tree line/river bank, PL stops and starts to throw up the sticks. I see the bushbuck on the other side at about 25 yards. We had basically been shadowing it the whole time. I just threw the rifle to my shoulder, the ram stopped, and I let him have it right through both shoulders. At the shot it stood up on his back legs, pawed the air and was gone. He didn�t go far and died. It was 8:00. I couldn�t believe it. 1 hour for the bushbuck?!?! PL told me he was already thinking ahead to the evening hunt for a bushbuck when this all happened. I guess the good Lord took mercy on me after my trials and tribulations with kudu hunting. Pictures completed, we loaded and headed back to camp, got a cup of coffee and then back out for blue wildebeest.

[Linked Image]

We saw a lot of nice wildebeest but had to take special care in identifying them as I was looking for a female (wanted a flat skin). By the time we had one picked out they were off running again. We finally got on a herd at about 80 yards, picked out a female and on the sticks I went. She was quartering away from me pretty hard and at the shot she took off with the rest. I had shot too far forward and broke the shoulder only. The herd didn�t go far and we started sneaking in. Most of them moved off except for the one I had shot. Back on the sticks and dang it, there�s a 3� tree limb about 10� feet in front of her and blocking the shoulder. I move sideways and get a clearer picture. I shot, she hit the ground in a pile of dust and I hear a �ziinngggg�. We get up there and she�s still alive so have to do a finishing shot. It�s then that I notice I had shot clean through the limb (375 H&H), and a bullet shard had hit the neck dropping it and stunning it!!!! She was on the ground at 11:20. After loading and heading out, we came upon a group of impala. The male stood around too long and I flat knocked him to the ground in a pile of dust with the 375 H&H. He then got back up and took off. I could tell it was hurt and didn�t go more than 15 yards before dropping. Dang tough little buggers for sure. It was now 12:05. I was pretty stoked after having almost all my animals in the salt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That afternoon we went back to see if we could find the warthog from the morning. We didn�t see him but did see where a good sized croc had come out to sun itself. Also saw a fish eagle and then a porcupine right at dark.

Sidenote: As we were getting back to camp that night PL stopped to unlock a gate and the dust just rolled over the truck covering everything. I smacked my lips, looked at PL and said �Yep, tastes like Africa�. That turned into a running joke for us the rest of the trip.

That night was an early turn-in. Long day of hunting but I�m sure the beer and wine at dinner aided with that.

Day 4 (Morning):
Mountain Reedbuck and warthog were all that was left. First thing we made a quick lap around the river looking for warthog from the day before, but no success. We then went back over to the mountain for a reedbuck. Just as luck would have it, we weren�t half-way up and there stands a kudu bull in all his glory 230 yards from us. It was broadside to us with sun shining on head and horns; a beautiful sight I won�t ever forget. PL asked if I wanted another one but I decided to pass. We were almost all the way to the top when we spotted reedbuck. Saw the male, raised my rifle, and asked if it was a shooter. PL had no more than said yes, and I was touching off the shot. The reedbuck dropped and I was down to a warthog (It was only 9:05). The reedbuck hunt was almost anticlimactic, but I�ll take a little bit of hunter�s luck any day. I think they are one of the most beautiful of the plains game.

[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/Heeler75/RSA%20July%202013/MountainReedbuck_zps6ba51507.jpg[/img]

He went over yonder way
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Good Kudu. They were pretty skitzy where we were, and the kid I took to hunt, hunted with the PH and I had to stay in the truck, as 3's company and 4's a crowd, when stalking.

IC B2

H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Will get the last few days listed tonight.

Tisha, I'm reading your adventure right now and will continue tonight!! I can tell you both had a great time.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a GREAT trip! cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like a GREAT trip. Congrats.

PS I have a CZ550 375 H&H. It is a nice accurate rifle but boy that thing is heavy.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The afternoon of Day 4 and onward:
Same story � looking for warthog. We would sit at water holes, sit overlooking fields, spot and stalk, and all we would see were small males, females and young �uns.
Here are a few stories from this time. On the morning of day 5 we were on the river again and we saw a huge kudu bull. This one I definitely should have shot. Oh he was nice. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
Saw a huge steenbok I�d liked to have taken. It was easily 1� past the ears but the landowner had a �no kill� order so it got a pass.

At another area, there were some cattle in a nearby pasture and some young kudu bulls came into the tanks for a drink. A couple of calves (beef) started chasing them around trying to play with them. I about lost it I was laughing so hard.

That Sunday PL, his brother-in-law and I took a break and went to Pilanesberg. I had discussed it earlier in the week with PL and decided it would be a nice break from hunting. I really enjoyed it but the park was really packed. Saw about everything I think you could except for lion, leopard and cape buffalo. I had a really great time and an enjoyable way to spend a relaxing Sunday. Ate lunch at the Park center and the burgers were excellent.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Malachite Kingfisher

[Linked Image]

Day 9:
Walked the river in the AM and then headed back over to the mountain property to look around and also put up a trail camera for the landowner. No shooter pigs seen, but did see where one had scraped up a lot of grass to make a nest. We made a note to come back the next morning and check it out. As we left and were heading back for lunch, PL gets a phone call. It�s the landowner telling PL to go hunt this one field he has. PL was surprised as the landowner never lets anyone hunt that field; everyone was doing all they could to help me get a warthog. So, we turn around and go back. We no more than get through the gate and start down the road we see a pig in the field that takes off. We instantly see it�s a shooter and cross the field into the trees but don�t see it anywhere. It was decided that we�d head back for lunch and then come back and watch this field for the rest of the day. Well, as luck would have it, no big pigs were spotted that afternoon.

By this time I had accepted the fact that I might not get a pig and was okay with it. It�s hunting, right? I also almost talked to PL about trading the pig in for an impala. I�m glad I didn�t as Day 10 would be a good day.

Day 10:
We are up super early and head over to try and sneak up on the nest in hopes of seeing that pig, but that pig is nowhere to be found. We do see a really nice duiker that we made a try for but it eluded us. It was back over to another spot to sit on a waterhole. I don�t know what was up that morning, but it seemed colder than the rest and I couldn�t get warm. Finally by 10:30 we packed it up and went to set on the field from the day before. We get there at 11:00 and set up behind a cattle feed bunk. The sun is shining by now and wouldn�t you know it, I start warming up and doze off.

Now is where it gets interesting/funny. All of a sudden I hear �get your gun, big pig, get your gun, hurry up�. Oh schitt�. I�m instantly on my feet grabbing for the rifle and trying to spot the pig at the same time. I was completely bewildered. I finally see the pig and it�s trotting across the field about 120 yards out and about 50 yards from the trees. I took a rest on the feed bunk and it finally stopped. I shot, it dropped in a cloud of dust, then took off. We hurried down to where it was when I shot. Looked around and didn�t see anything. Then saw some blood on a tree where it went into the woods. PL and I head off into the woods and there is my pig lying dead about 60 yards in the trees. I was ecstatic! I had my pig and it was right around 12:00. For full disclosure I got lucky as I made a bad shot. I hit it in the right ham, but the angle was such that the bullet came out behind the left shoulder, and had hit a lung in travel (was using the 338-06).

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/Heeler75/RSA%20July%202013/Warthog2_zps2abc8748.jpg[/img]

The rest of the day was nice to just be able to relax. I got the guns and cleaning kit out and got all the dust wiped off, so I didn�t have to do it at home.

I had a wonderful time with PL and can't wait to hunt with him again. He's had his own company for about 7 years but has been a PH for 23. I think he runs a top notch organization and always has a positive attitude, which I think goes a long way.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going for on the next trip with him. It might be completing the different springbok and smaller stuff, or stepping up into the world of Cape Buffalo.

Just a few notes/observations from the trip.
Remember the genets and chickens I mentioned above? Well, one night the genets got out of their cage and proceeded to kill 16 chickens. They went kill crazy just like weasels. Bit the heads off and didn't eat anything. Never saw them again.

I made this a true vacation. I shut my phone off in Atlanta and turned it back on in Atlanta. I didn't even wear my watch while hunting.

One evening one of the daughters said something that PL didn't like. He instantly switched to Afrikaans and I'll say this. A butt-chewing sounds the same, no matter what the language is. grin

For all the restrictive gun laws RSA has, it sure is easy to get suppressors put on rifles.

Pinotage is excellent wine (I was partial to Durbanville Hills)

Bovril does not look appetizing.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That piggy is a HOG! Nice!
Great report. Thanks.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never seen a warthog that looks like that one. Not sure if it is he angle that the head is displayed at, but it looks huge.

H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
A lot of it is how the head is displayed I think. It is pretty big, but not a super monster. Here's a different angled pic.

[Linked Image]

He went over yonder way
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great stuff Heeler. I hunted within 75 miles of where you were this past May. Needless to say, I'm hooked! Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heeler: One hell of a nice Bushbuck and a Hoss of a Wartie. My congratulations again sir.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Monster Warthog!! Way to go Brad!

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the kind words. I've been really fortunate to be able to go over there.

I was originally going to just do a skull mount on the warthog, until PL suggested doing a shoulder mount as that's a once in a lifetime pig. So, I will be doing a shoulder mount. And since I don't have a wife or girlfriend that idea won't get vetoed. grin

Tom, when we spoke last I didn't realize you were going back to Botswana!!

He went over yonder way
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful trophies, awesome warthog! Thanks for the narative and pictures. I really want to go back now!!!!

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You had a grand time. I've not gotten a southern Kudu yet, or a decent pig. Also Bushbuck on the list. hit one fatally in East Cape in 2011, and the PH and "trackers" couldn't find him. PH told me a few months back, they , land owner, etc., had found the BB, dead, which we knew, as was watching it wring it's tail ,when it dived into the brush. I've not gotten on the last two trips, to do much stalking. In the kalhari, no way to stalk, but we did some in RSA. That, to me, is the best part of the hunt. Congratulations.

Oh, I didn't know warthogs ate rocks, lol. nice set of teeth. Be prepared for extra expense on getting it back here, as it has to go through a USDA agent, to come into the country, and was like $250 extra, if I'd brought the young'n I got in East Cape, back.

Last edited by ghost; 08/13/13.

Ghost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked for a piggy like that many times and never got anything close. He's a great 'hog.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats on a great adventure!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.