Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
has any one ever used mealworms do get the meat off the skull for a european mount ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took mine to a taxidermist and he used beetles, I think they are called white beetles...? I could check with my brother to confirm, but the guys uses beetles, not mealworms.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dermestid beetles.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Dermestid beetles.

That's it...thanks for helping me remember

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Beetles work well if you have access to them. I had a friend with some (which he didn't maintain properly and no longer has). I have boiled a few skulls as well, they all turned out the same, but the beetle colony can take a lot of the work out of the process.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bell89815
has any one ever used mealworms do get the meat off the skull for a european mount ?

Beetles are very good if you can get them, but once the skull is clean, you must remove/kill every last bettle before hanging bring the skull into the house or you risk triggering an infestation. I believe the usual way is to stick the cleaned skull in the freezer for 24 hours.

Another good cleaning method is to roughly skin the skull off, and then leave it soak in water for a few weeks. The bacteria basically eat the flesh as it rots off. It will smell something terrible, so you need to put it some where out of the way while the bugs do their work..

Last edited by Pete E; 08/14/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mealworms eat grains and veggies(hence "meal" aka ground grain) dermestid beetles however work well, just dont let them get near any of your regular mounts crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've done quite a few elk and deer with the boiling method and it works fine unless I overcook them and the bone thins out. It's pretty labor intensive though.

However, a beetle cleaned skull comes out much better IMO. They are super clean and perfect.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Boiling is the worst way you can do it. Unless you just barely heat the water.

In the process you will liquify the grease/fat, and it will work its way into the bone pores. You will never quite get those skulls as white as you will hope to. And there will always be a slight odor to them.

Neither may bother you, and that is up to you.

the simple rotting in water is the best route if you don't have beetle access.

Though I"ve never tried mealworms, they may be fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I may try the rotting method this fall.

How long does it typically take? I'm from MN and it starts getting cold here in late October so I'm not sure there would be enough time before it freezes.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
the rotting method (bacterial maceration in water) works quite well -- especially if you put an aquarium heater in the bucket -- 5-10 days will do it.

need a well-fitting lid and a tolerant family though, it stinks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A pressure washer is a fast way to get 95% of the meat, brains, eyes, etc. off the skull before you soak it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heard of the tank heater thing too.

Here in TX I don't do skulls in teh winter as I don't have a heater. Just wait till its hot, 100 or so and takes a week.

My buddy has used the pressure washer before rotting and says as above, helps a lot. I just don't own one either.

For MN, I would not tackle it now personallly.... put in freezer and wait. Unless you pressure washed and put tank heater in it as noted or at least filled with hot tap water 2-3 times a day...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I'd be worried that'd dilute the bacterial concentration too much.

you can get a tubular aquarium heater for $30 at any pet store and it'll keep the water at 100* as long as you don't go over about 20 gallons

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I suspect it depends on how hot your tap water is. Ours we keep areound 120 or so.

But good point!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you use the "boiling" method always put some laundry soap in the water. after the initial cook I use a pressure washer to take some of the work out of cleaning. then wrap the antlers, horns etc. with tin foil to preserve the color and add about 5 pints of peroxide to your water just to the base of said antlers. cook for 12 hrs at a low simmer and the skull is white.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are going to simmer it, add some Arm and Hammer Washing Soda to the water. Be careful though, it will eat an aluminum pot.

If you are going to rot it off in a bucket (macerate) add some Rid-X to the water to get the bacteria started.

Simmering doesn't smell if the skull is fresh. Smells like soup. Beetles and rotting both leave a horrible smell, so you need to really wash it afterwards, bleach it in peroxide, and leave it in the sun to finish it off.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Matt-
Are you familiar with the fresh horse manure method?

I had folks from UAF come and get freshly dropped apples for skeletons they were cleaning.

Bones and fresh manure in a big trash bag. BacT does the rest.

So I hear. Haven't done it myself. not sure of level of staining.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I'll usually put a ball or two in the bucket. speeds things up quite a bit but I've done it without too, when it wasn't convenient to get "freshies". (it just takes longer)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.