Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Move to Alaska now.

Hunt and fish your ass off, you will find a way to afford it.
Live the dream that is only a fantasy for most.

Actually it doesn't have to be Alaska, Montana Wyoming & Idaho have much to offer.

SD is nice, but if you yearn for a residence with the ultimate in hunting & fishing, go now.

You wait & it gets much more difficult to leave, you get very entrenched with work & family.

Go, Go now, you can always come back if it doesn't work out.

Best advice I've seen. Wish I would've done that at 22.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advise to a Young Man

1.) No need to buy a house until you've figured out where you are going to put down roots for 5 years or more.

2.) At 22, don't panic if you are not hooked up with "Ms. Right" now. Plenty of time for that, and I promise all the good ones will not be gone before you are 30 (or 35 either).

3.) When yo think you have found "The One", make sure you can agree on the following: Sex, Money, Religion, and Politics. If you can agree on those, there isn't much left to argue about.

Politics and Religion will give a good idea where her moral base and her outlook on how the world should run. If you are Conservative, and she is an Obamanite Atheist, you're asking for trouble.

Money - if she doesn't know where it comes from but only how to spend it, you're in trouble.

Sex - well, that all changes after kids anyway. Get it while you can. Don't marry anybody too freaky in bed. That ain't normal, so don't expect her not to be slinging her cooter around town sooner or later.

4.) Save 10% of every paycheck and live on the rest. That way, you will never be broke. There are always more expenses that you anticipate. That is also the only way to save for down payments, much less retirement.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get rid of debt ASAP. Those already spent dollars are still costing one money. Never quit a job until one has another in hand. If a near term move is in the sights, do not invest in a home unless it's in a booming destination resort. If retirement at 40 is a goal, then look for other tax free investments. Do not do municipal bonds from Detroit, New York, or large California cities.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/21/13.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't read all the replys, but I'd say as long as you can help out and not be a burden, live at home. It provides a great opportunity to put away some money. I understand wonderlust as well as anyone, but it will all be out there later, and the grass is not really greener. Do the home buy locally. you can still rent the rooms even though you live at home.I wouldn't buy a home unless i intended to keep it for at least 5 years, 7 would be better, and 10 years would be safe; assuming there are no more obamas in our future. good luck with your choices, and remember, when you follow your heart, the heart sees things with a different set of eyes, not the ones you see reality with.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Move the phfcuck out of your parent's house. Yesterday.

Go work in the Bakken. Pay off any and all debt.

Don't marry.

Retiring at 40 is a stupid goal.

Buying a house that you can afford is never a bad idea. Ever.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Haven't read all the replys, but I'd say as long as you can help out and not be a burden, live at home.

Yeah. Helps young men today really lay in a good supply of tampons before they get out into the world.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you want a future, you need to devote all your efforts toward getting the fug outta the U.S.A,....and you need to be very picky about where you choose.

Personally, I'd give the Czech Republic a hard look.

Freedom is still fairly new there.

They don't take it for granted.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Join the USMC!

They'll give you a home!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Deflave -

Why is retiring at 40 a stupid goal? Hell I'd retire even earlier if I could, why languish and toil at work when one can relax and play?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's not realistic.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Haven't read all the replys, but I'd say as long as you can help out and not be a burden, live at home.

Yeah. Helps young men today really lay in a good supply of tampons before they get out into the world.

Travis

I left home for good at 17, I found no advantage to it. If there is one please let him know, but trying to get lifes knocks as early as possible isn't a great plan imo. He'll never have a better opportunity to save money or start those other business' than he has right now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Pressure makes diamonds.

Travis

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It's not realistic.

Travis

This ^^^+ chitt happens + people change (even you will)

Last edited by eyeball; 08/21/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I packed everything I owned into a cantaloupe crate, threw it in the backseat of a 62 Plymouth Valiant, and moved 300 miles away from home when I was in my teens.

Yeah buddy!,...it was an adventure!,...but I can't recommend it unless you have damn little to lose.

I can't say for sure,..but an educated guess says that it'll take 10 years off your life expectancy, on average.

That's assuming that you survive the first year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yea, it's been said a diamond is just a lump of coal that stuck to it's job. The question is, does he have that amount of time, and does anyone really know how diamonds are formed? Theres a lot more coal than diamonds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not realistic.

Travis

From a quick and dirty Internet retirement calculator:

RESULTS: SUMMARY
YOUR NEEDS
In retirement, you will need $50,000 a year in income. (Because of inflation, in 2031, that will be equivalent to $85,121.)
Part of that income will come from your Social Security and/or pensions. To produce the rest, you should build up your nest egg (including your 401k, IRA and other savings accounts) to $1,079,006 by the time you retire. (In 2031, that will be equivalent to $1,836,936).

YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING THERE
To save $1,079,006, your investments need to gain an average of 20.31% from now until retirement. We estimate that there is a 0.84% chance of this happening.

And this doesn't include factoring in things like providing your own health insurance until you reach Medicare age, potentially supporting a family, etc.

Good luck!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
yea, it's been said a diamond is just a lump of coal that stuck to it's job. The question is, does he have that amount of time, and does anyone really know how diamonds are formed? Theres a lot more coal than diamonds.

I know a fella living with mom and dad when he's 22 is off to a rough start if he wants to retire at 40.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have to live somewhere. So you can either pay rent or pay into your own home. I would suggest looking to buy a neglected fixer-upper in a nice neighbourhood. Something that needs more time and labour than just material and specialized contractors. You never want to be the most expensive house on the block, so look at the cheapest and then bring it up to the average m.v. Make sure that neighbourhood is stable in the long term, not a trendy new neighbourhood.

You will of course need to acquire tools to do this, but there are used tools available everywhere for dirt cheap.

You sound like your head is screwed on right to begin with. Saving money, and the mentality to do it, is a good thing. For example, we can use a snowblower out at the lake. I can't justify $700 for one, or even $500. But I kept my eyes open in the local online ads and found one that a guy was getting rid of for $20. He moved to an acreage so it is now too small, and it was leaking fuel. No mechanical ability (cough, more money than brains, cough) and just wanted it gone. Another $15 in fuel line, JB weld and a carb kit, and it's running like a champ.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Overall � What should I be doing to save money fast, and where should I be putting it? If I want to retire at 40 why should my money go to a Roth or 401k � I know it shields the money from taxes, but what�s the point if you can�t withdraw it easily (without cost) before you are of conventional retirement age?

Stay away from women and you should have no problem with your plan. smile

Very sound advice. Or else you can take that 40 aged retirement dream and kick it out the window. grin

-Ken

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 3,014 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,514
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.