Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just saw an article in the paper tonight that the Marcellus gas industry expects to hire 4000 in the coming year. Might not be in your field but it's something to look into.

Hang tough,

Dale

This space for rent

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dice also start looking at teksystems and other tech recruiters.

I worked contract work in IT for 3 or 4 years until I got a perm position. Not as much stability but the money is pretty good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hadn't heard of them, but will be checking with them in the morning. Thanks mack!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is a list of all the tech recruiters

http://www.interbiznet.com/hunt/Recruiters.html

and another

http://www.ere.net/2001/01/09/a-list-of-recruiter-associations/

These might help you find a recruiter that handles something in your wheelhouse.

I am SQA and there are a couple of recruiters that specialize in QA.

Also look to the forums for your skillset.
I go to several for SQA.

Lots of them will have a special section for job postings.

Same for any certifications you have they often have job postings on their site.

Also Linkedin is your friend.

If you want to start making some connections you can PM me and I will add you into my network to get started.

Give me a few more minutes and I can probably keep you busy for a few days!

Good Luck and keep this post going I will check back and keep looking for anything that can help.
LOL

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Instead of just sending resumes you should wait a week and call about the job. Ask for the recruiter, tell him that your well qualified for the position and ask if he has seen your resume.

One problem is that businesses will use your lack of a degree to reduce the number of resumes that have to go through. Generally these positions require a degree in CS. So it will be difficult.

If you can learn web stuff and seek a job doing that.

Last edited by ConradCA; 08/21/13.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Mack! Good stuff there! I wish I had any certs...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep! Those are the problems that I'm facing. It's not a complaint, it just is what it is.

I have called every place that I submit a resume to, to follow up. I try to stay on them pretty continuously.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
The real kicker is that last year, I started going to school to fix the no degree issue...laugh

Don't! (Go to school, I mean.) Complete waste of time and money, especially if you already have work experience. Anyone who sticks about the lack of a degree isn't somebody you want to work for.

Read books, read blogs, do exercises, follow gurus on Twitter, attend user's groups, participate in area dojos and katas--much more effective, much less expensive. Not only will you learn much more than any school will teach you, but you'll wind up networking with all sorts of real people in the industry, many of whom will know where the jobs are.

How far are you willing to travel? How much are you willing to learn? Is this kind of work the penalty you grudgingly endure in order to be able to bring home a paycheck, or is it the driving passion of your life?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cant help in Alabama but it sounds similar to the job my wife turned down in Boise, she has a degree in computer systems intigration and picked up a second job locally when a programming outfit tried to set up a partnership with the tribes.....worse comes to worse i can see if she still has contacts with the company she was working for:

http://www.avanade.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep! Those are the problems that I'm facing. It's not a complaint, it just is what it is.

I have called every place that I submit a resume to, to follow up. I try to stay on them pretty continuously.

If you're unfortunate enough to have to submit resumes, then I guess that's what you have to do.

But if you were a well-known member of the software-development community in Huntsville--because you were a faithful member of a couple or three user's groups (even presented--they're always looking for speakers), had attended a couple of Code Retreats and distinguished yourself, and had maybe collaborated with some local folks on an open-source project or two--then your name would already be swimming around, and if you had to submit a resume it would be an after-the-fact formality just to satisfy some obscure HR requirement once you were already hired.

Once I figured that out, the whole job-hunt landscape completely changed for me. In the last five years or so I've probably worked for eight or ten different companies. All of them came looking for me, rather than the other way around, and as far as I know none of them have ever seen my resume. I'm not actually that big a deal, but a whole lot of people around here have heard of, listened to, talked with, and paired with me, and since I don't royally suck either, when they need to hire somebody it's a lot easier to go with me than it is to dig through a pile of resumes to find some anonymous no-name about whom they know nothing and who might be a big risk.

That's your secret, right there. Don't be buried in a pile of resumes; be part of the active community.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find a different town.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Find a headhunter.

Expand your search.

If you can't sell your house, rent it.

Say a prayer and be thankful.

Dave

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Prayers are GREATLY appreciated!

Growing up, there was a time where Dad was without work for 13 months, yet God provided. I have no doubt that in the long run, things will be okay. I'm just trying to do my part...
He's the same God now as then. You and your family will be provided for. Have faith and I, and many, will begin praying.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good luck and prayers for ya HUG!

FJB & FJT
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
never forget to think outside the box. juggle the career between wife and husband.

take care of the kids while the wife puts food on the table. go to nite school to upgrade certifications, licenses, etc.

continue to network within the industry, and keep your ear to the ground to listen for the sound of approaching hoofbeats (new businesses coming to town, existing businesses expanding).

in a fall back position, consider working out of town on a commuter basis, while the family continues to hold on in Huntsville. not easy, but what is?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Big + 1 on Barak's post

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My job wad eliminated a couple of years ago. I ended up moving for a new job. Prayers for you.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mack5511
Here is a list of all the tech recruiters

http://www.interbiznet.com/hunt/Recruiters.html

and another

http://www.ere.net/2001/01/09/a-list-of-recruiter-associations/

These might help you find a recruiter that handles something in your wheelhouse.

I am SQA and there are a couple of recruiters that specialize in QA.

Also look to the forums for your skillset.
I go to several for SQA.

Lots of them will have a special section for job postings.

Same for any certifications you have they often have job postings on their site.

Also Linkedin is your friend.

If you want to start making some connections you can PM me and I will add you into my network to get started.

Give me a few more minutes and I can probably keep you busy for a few days!

Good Luck and keep this post going I will check back and keep looking for anything that can help.
LOL

Mack

monster.com We have hired a number of people off of this jobsite

Have you tried linked in ?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak

But if you were a well-known member of the software-development community in Huntsville--because you were a faithful member of a couple or three user's groups (even presented--they're always looking for speakers), had attended a couple of Code Retreats and distinguished yourself, and had maybe collaborated with some local folks on an open-source project or two--then your name would already be swimming around, and if you had to submit a resume it would be an after-the-fact formality just to satisfy some obscure HR requirement once you were already hired.

Very sound advice, B. Thank you, sir. This has been my failure to do up to now. This kind of thing actually never crossed my mind. It won't be my failure going forward.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thank everyone who offered advice, prayers, and well wishes. Some of you, I've been a real jerk to in the past, yet your character shows through in these instances. I am humbled, and grateful.

Turdlike, by default.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.