Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coil spring four link in front like the Dodge Ram.

I drove a two-door JK recently and I thought it was twitchy compared to my CJ7 that has stock height springs and 32x11.50 BFG KM2's.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Any idea what they did to the suspension to improve the ride/handling? As I understand it, Wranglers are still beam/solid axles front and rear, but I'm not sure if they are coil or leaf sprung?

They went to what they called the Quadra-coil suspension which allowed an additional seven inches of articulation over the old leaf spring set-up. In addition to improving handling, it resulted in increased approach and departure angles. It also benefited from improved factory shocks and tires, which really did improve on-road driving. There was certainly nothing "twitchy" about the way ours handled, on or off-road.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Pete E

Any idea what they did to the suspension to improve the ride/handling? As I understand it, Wranglers are still beam/solid axles front and rear, but I'm not sure if they are coil or leaf sprung?

Leaves were replaced with coils the same year that the headlights changed back from square to round, IE, YJ to TJ. I don't remember the year. This is US of course, might be different overseas. You can still buy an XJ "square-box" Cherokee overseas, but not in the US.

remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wow, it's about 50/50 on being good for a kid and 100% for being a good off-road/hunting vehicle.

Specifically, how's the four-banger automatic on-road, and off?

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's a tough decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't help you there--ours had a five speed manual transmission which was very good.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get her the Wrangler, the safety concerns are outdated and overstated. The older CJ's were bad about roll overs. Jeep correced that problem in the 1980's with the Wrangler which has a much lower center of gravity and a much wider stance. They are among the safest vehicles on the road unless lifted and highly modified.

I grew up around CJ's and every friend I had that owned one had at least 1 slow roll over. I lost 3 friends in Jeep accidents in the 1970's and was concerned when we were considering one years ago. My insurance agent told me they wouldn't insure a CJ, but the Wrangler had one of the best safety records of anything on the road. What else are you going to buy her with a full roll cage?

Last edited by JMR40; 08/24/13.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm, is it wise/worth it to look for a 97 or newer to get the design "upgrades"?

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If it were I, and I suppose it will be in about ten more years, I wouldn't hesitate to buy my daughter a TJ, which is the "round headlight," coil sprung machine. If my daughter is coordinated enough to learn how to operate a handshaker, I would find her a 2.5L four-cylinder, five-speed. Not bad on fuel, as far as Jeeps go, and reliable, easy to work on.

That being said, if a YJ, the square headlight model you are looking at, fell in my lap for a song, I wouldn't hesitate to put her into it, assuming it was in fine shape.

I have never owned an automatic Jeep, and I know from experience, that the little 2.5L isn't exactly a powerhouse, but it will get her from point A to point B as fast as she needs to go.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by J23

That being said, if a YJ, the square headlight model you are looking at, fell in my lap for a song, I wouldn't hesitate to put her into it, assuming it was in fine shape.

I have never owned an automatic Jeep, and I know from experience, that the little 2.5L isn't exactly a powerhouse, but it will get her from point A to point B as fast as she needs to go.

That's my challenge now. The one I looked at yesterday is a 95', in immaculate condition inside and out (new tires too), and turned 66k miles during my test drive. I can probably get if for $5000 - $5500.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by remfak
Wow, it's about 50/50 on being good for a kid and 100% for being a good off-road/hunting vehicle.

For whatever it is worth, the Jeep deal you are describing is a good buy. The hard top and low mileage, it is a good value for $6K unless it is rusted out, has a salvage title or something.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
IC B3

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by flagstaff

For whatever it is worth, the Jeep deal you are describing is a good buy. The hard top and low mileage, it is a good value for $6K unless it is rusted out, has a salvage title or something.

Agreed. I know the price seems high, but Jeeps hold onto a solid value, almost to the point of being ridiculous. ..and I may be way off, but from my understanding, Colorado, assuming the YJ spent it's life there, is a no salt state? My friend bought a Dodge Ram 2500 V10 a few years back on Ebay, flew out to Colorado and drove her home, in part because the Ram was completely rust free, and was nine or ten years old. In comparison, a Dodge Ram here, nine or ten years old, would be rotted to the point of being dangerous.

Last edited by J23; 08/24/13.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

No rust, tears, dings, salvage title, 2nd owner, etc.

remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by J23

Agreed. I know the price seems high, but Jeeps hold onto a solid value, almost to the point of being ridiculous. ..and I may be way off, but from my understanding, Colorado, assuming the YJ spent it's life there, is a no salt state? My friend bought a Dodge Ram 2500 V10 a few years back on Ebay, flew out to Colorado and drove her home, in part because the Ram was completely rust free, and was nine or ten years old. In comparison, a Dodge Ram here, nine or ten years old, would be rotted to the point of being dangerous.

Correct, no salt! Makes buying vehicles here nice as you don't have to worry about that.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by J23
[quote=remfak]Wow, it's about 50/50 on being good for a kid and 100% for being a good off-road/hunting vehicle.

For whatever it is worth, the Jeep deal you are describing is a good buy. The hard top and low mileage, it is a good value for $6K unless it is rusted out, has a salvage title or something. [/quote

Colorado uses salt. But obviously most of the usage is in where they get the majority of the snow, along the Rocky Mountain range. The eastern side gets less.

Here in Arizona, the Jeep deal he is describing would be bought in 2.2 seconds after advertising it.

The only thing I have found to be bad about Jeeps are they are an addiction. They are so easy to customize and modify. I am sure you have heard the saying: Jeep - Just Empty Every Pocket. They are reliable, but there is always something you want to upgrade to so you spend your money on those upgrades.

Jeeps for guys are like shoes and clothes for the women folk!!!!! Always something to accessorize!!!!!!

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I am told you can't get financing for salvage title vehicles. And you can only insure them for liability coverage, not comprehensive coverage. Just a thought. Still sounds like a heck of a hunting vessel if you want to head that direction with things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drove a Jeep a lot as a teenager. You're only young once, get her the Jeep.

Something else to consider for a new driver.....Get her a vehicle that she'll want to drive an all her friends will want to be in. That way, she's in charge of how it's driven and where they go, and she's never the passenger who's just along for the ride.

I'd rather my kids be the driver of a Jeep than a passenger of a super safe car.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sold a 1997 TJ Wrangler and have 2 sons that both have CJ 7's. I wouldn't get a jeep for a Child of mine to use as a daily driver unless it was at least a "97" or later. A good one just isn't that hard to find and if it needs a little fixing up that is easy to do with a Jeep. I think that they are much safer than the older ones. The ride and handling is much better than earlier Jeeps and the wheelbase is a little wider. I'd find one with a 6 cylinder engine. The resale value will be better and at times the extra power can help. It still isn't going to be fast or a hot rod. The transmission won't make any difference. She will figure it out if you get a manual one and it might be good for her down the road. She will be able to drive anything.

Around here the problems kids get into with a Jeep usually involves deep mud or trying to climb a sand hill. The deep mud can tear up a Jeep and the sand hill can kill you. Outlaw the sand hills if you got any around! Check to make sure all the seat belts are working! Don't let anyone ride in it that isn't behind a seat belt!

In SE Georgia a jeep with square head lights just doesn't retain its value. A friend that runs a Jeep Salvage business in town and rebuilds Jeeps for a living, told me to stay away from the square headlights. They evidently have some problems that can be avoided by buying a Jeep made after 1996. It isn't the headlights, but they are good indicators according to him.

Gas milage on a Jeep just stinks. Best I've gotten with my 6 cylinder was around 15mpg.

The best thing to me about a Jeep is that they are noisy and rough riding. You feel the speed! It is a lot easier for a kid (or an Adult) to go slow in a Jeep than it is in a vehicle that is smooth and quiet.

Harry
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I am told you can't get financing for salvage title vehicles. And you can only insure them for liability coverage, not comprehensive coverage. Just a thought. Still sounds like a heck of a hunting vessel if you want to head that direction with things.

My daughter got full coverage on her theft recovery salvage title. It;s true no dealer will touch it but she'll be driving it till it dies.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would take a TJ hands down over a YJ any day, nicer interior, much better suspension and the injected 4.0 would most likely get better fuel economy than the 4.2.

As far as putting your daughter behind a TJ, I am not sure how anyone above me can say it's right for your daughter, nobody knows her like you.

I might have put my oldest (almost 19) in a TJ at 16 because she was, or at least at that age, very cautious. My youngest (18) on the other hand, is a bonofide nut behind the wheel. She is always on the throttle getting up to the speed limit in 3-6 seconds or less and corners like she is driving for NASCAR.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
I would take a TJ hands down over a YJ any day, nicer interior, much better suspension and the injected 4.0 would most likely get better fuel economy than the 4.2.

As far as putting your daughter behind a TJ, I am not sure how anyone above me can say it's right for your daughter, nobody knows her like you.

I might have put my oldest (almost 19) in a TJ at 16 because she was, or at least at that age, very cautious. My youngest (18) on the other hand, is a bonofide nut behind the wheel. She is always on the throttle getting up to the speed limit in 3-6 seconds or less and corners like she is driving for NASCAR.

the Jeep he is talking about should have the fuel injected 2.5L by his description....solid engine, just without alot of power known for having long lives....know alot of Jeep guys with over 300,000 on them, its even more durable than the 4.0L and thats also a darn nice engine that lasts for a fair amount of miles especially given its usually in vehicles that arent babied......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.