Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Not sure if this is posted in the correct forum or not, figured it's campfire conversation!

I'm currently working for a company traveling daily for work in my personal vehicle and being reimbursed for "business" mileage only at the govn't rate of $0.55/mile or something like that. Average about 20k / year.
I'm looking at changing jobs, doing the same type of work, same travel and being offered a company car. The company pays for the car, insurance, gas, maintenance, business and personal mileage.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before? I know I make some $ on the mileage but is the company car worth more $? Any advise or experiences would be appreciated.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd rather the headache be all theirs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If there is no restriction on personal use, I would take the company car every time.

I have done both. Company car, unlimited personal use. My car, with monthly allowance and fuel.

If you are going to have another vehicle anyway, the allowance/mileage might be better.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
If you think about it though are you really making any money after you figure the maintenance, insurance and car payments that go along with using your personal vehicle? On the other the other hand having a company vehicle where all of that is taken care of seems like a pretty nice deal. Now do you need a personal vehicle for anything in particular such as a truck for hauling things? Now if any vehicle you they give you will do then I say go for it and eliminate the expenses of using your vehicle for business use. I had a family member that was a sales person and when he retired it was the first time since he was 18 that he needed to purchase a vehicle and insurance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd rather the headache be all theirs.

Exactly.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the sixties, when Dad traveled for a company, he received a weekly expense allowance to use as he pleased. He ate simply, stayed cheap, and managed to clear enough after those expenses and his car expenses to keep trading each year.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How often would you get a new company car? Every 4 years?

That's $80,000 you'd get in mileage reimbursements over the same timeframe. I'd have a hard time believing you are paying that much on gas, maintenance and insurance - so it sounds like you'd be money ahead doing the reimbursement.

I'd say do the mileage reimbursement and take a couple guided hunts.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the IRS in all this.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
If you think about it though are you really making any money after you figure the maintenance, insurance and car payments that go along with using your personal vehicle? On the other the other hand having a company vehicle where all of that is taken care of seems like a pretty nice deal. Now do you need a personal vehicle for anything in particular such as a truck for hauling things? Now if any vehicle you they give you will do then I say go for it and eliminate the expenses of using your vehicle for business use. I had a family member that was a sales person and when he retired it was the first time since he was 18 that he needed to purchase a vehicle and insurance.

I do also own a pick-up truck for hunting, fishing, and other trips to camp and similar.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been offered both.. and picked using my own every time..

the reason for it is stated by mudstud....the IRS...

the real choice is do you get the write off or the company get the write off...

you need to figure your taxes both ways based on past years and see what comes out best.

The smartest I ever saw, was a buddy I worked with, was based down in Texas....we got a monthly allowance, and they also paid for all the fuel we used...

This guy went out and rented a car for the week, and became a preferred customer down at Hertz or Avis.. so he ended up getting real low rates for the week...

was always driving a new car, never had to worry about maintenance or tires.. changed for whatever fit his needs for the week or month...and he was always driving top shelf stuff... preferred customer free upgrades etc...

said at the worst, his vehicle needs might have cost him $50 a month....

not bad when you consider putting on 1000 plus miles a week...

IC B3

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun

That's $80,000 you'd get in mileage reimbursements over the same timeframe. I'd have a hard time believing you are paying that much on gas, maintenance and insurance - so it sounds like you'd be money ahead doing the reimbursement.

4 years at 20k miles per year at $0.55 / , mile is $44,000
Still a lot of $

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost all of the fabricators and contractors here give out company trucks like candy. One of the contributing factors recently for turning down a job was that I was going to have to use my own truck, it's just not done here. They paid 0.53 per mile but still I didn't want to wear out my truck for company business.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by DrGnarr

Still a lot of $

20K miles per year is probably half what the IRS depreciation is bases on, so you probably be a little ahead with a company car but you probably aren't talking about big money. What kind of car would you have as a company car? If it is something the size of a Ford Focus,I'd buy my own car.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get 56.5 cents per mile from the company. The company lets me use their card for gas but I must deduct the difference from my mileage check. Works well for me. I get an extra 12-1800 bucks per month.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Actually it's $44,000 over 4 years just for the mileage. Not sure how much gas, repairs, oil changes, insurance, and a car note would run over 4 years, but I would bet it would be more than $11,000 a year for your own car. I'd let them give me a car and never look back

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

Still a lot of $

20K miles per year is probably half what the IRS depreciation is bases on, so you probably be a little ahead with a company car but you probably aren't talking about big money. What kind of car would you have as a company car? If it is something the size of a Ford Focus,I'd buy my own car.

Choice of cars. Ford fusion, Chevy impala, ford Taurus, or ford escape.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have done both but currently have the company car. Our car plan is a new car every year ( Ford Escape or Fusion at my level) and we get a gas card to go with it.

We have to declare personal miles on the car, but the company pays for them as well. (we just do a guess at the end of the year)

I typically do 40-50K a year on the car and figure 12-15K of that is personal. Thats a terrific benefit, the savings of not having a registration/insurance/gas/repairs on a personal car is a big benefit.

The other benefit of the company car is the reporting is so much easier. like I said the only thing I have to do is enter a guess for my annual personal miles once a year.

Back in the days when I had reinbursement, there was a monthly report.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you are reimbursed for using your vehicle you are supposed to inform your insurance company which will raise your rate. If you don't and have an accident and the insurance company finds out it won't go well.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thing to think about, at least here almost all company vehicles are trucks and 75% of those the users get exclusive use of themand get to take them home. So lots of guys have a work truck they take home provided by the company and then get a fuel effecient/cheap car so they have a truck and a car. So that saves you from having to buy your own truck for personal use.

Pull up to a hunting camp here in season and 1/2 the trucks are white with a sign for a company on the door.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

Still a lot of $

Choice of cars. Ford fusion, Chevy impala, ford Taurus, or ford escape.

The only 1 of those I have driven is a Taurus, the 1 I drove was a great car, I select a Taurus & not look back.

I have spent most of my life on the otherside of the desk. If an employee had 2 wreaks in his company car we fired him because the insurance company whould require it.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 08/27/13.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 32 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,405
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.