Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LSU fan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Was thinking about this the other day. With everything online, is there any reason to buy manuals anymore? I have Nosler, Hornady, and Speer. Between those and Internet resources I would think I'd be covered even if I'm shooting other brands of bullets.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't remember the last load manual I bought, maybe one of those paperback Hodgdon Manual.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I buy them to browse in the evenings when I don't want to get involved in a book or magazine.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have the hornady and sierra manuals. I end up referring to them a pretty good bit, but my biggest gripe is that most of the data is anemic. the sierra data, in particular, has to be taken with a grain of salt. it always seems to show unusually high velocities for unusually light loadings. i don't think they're being untruthful, but they are typically using a 26" barrel and federal brass, which will give noticeably different results from me using a 22" barrel and winchester brass.

i've actually found the online hodgdon data to be some of the most useful stuff out there, especially for getting started.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I were to do it over again nowadays, I'd have the current Nosler manual, my loaddata.com account, and free online Hodgdon data.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have the latest Hodgdon and the past 3-Nosler's, and old Sierra, and Hornady's previous. I will never buy another and if i did not have them I would not buy any since Nosler and Hodgon post the same thing online for free.

Last edited by hunting1; 08/29/13.

Good Shooting!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by mudhen
I buy them to browse in the evenings when I don't want to get involved in a book or magazine.

Ditto.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I need something in paperback when I sit on the john AND I'M NOT TAKING MY FRIKKIN' LAPTOP!

Of course, my wife hides my load manuals when we have company over.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They are a great bathroom read.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lets not forget when you run accross some old powder that has no data anymore. Case in point, I'm always on the lookout for H870 and H450 which hasn't been in production in over 10yrs and data has in afffect vanished. Especially in regards to H450, excellent magnum powder that Hodgdon still has a gap to fill on their spherical side.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't own one, I just use the data I get online.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I buy the books. They have a lot more info in them, than is available online. PS: if you want H870 Use your search engine and type (surplus powder) in it. 8lb jugs of it are available. Take down powder.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the latest Barnes manual. Apparently they still don't know that they make something called the TTSX. Some of these are different weights than the old TSX so there's no data to start from. How long has the TTSX been out 4-5 years?

Waste o money.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got my old ones and I buy a new one occasionally. I've never had one 'crash', I can always get data from it. I find it easier to make comparisons if I have books to flip instead of webpages. As mentioned, there is other info in them also. But I use the online stuff too.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Barnes manual could almost be a prize in a Happy Meal..

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just started reloading recently:

Speer Manual came with my RCBS Kit, good info on getting started

Plan to use the nosler bullets for my hunting loads since nosler will show their bullets expansion at different velocities which is extremely helpful information for a new reloader
Nosler's Manual is very good compliment to the Speer manual, speer gives a lot of good background and detailed how-to's Nosler gives you color picture representations of some things (cratered primers) and some easier ways to do some steps

figured I would use hornady bullets in the summer for target shooting & groundhogs so bought the hornady manual... not very impressed, doesn't seem as though they put as much effort into their testing as the other 2 did

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A person can spend an hour or so wading thru the internet comparing loads.
I like to have 3-4 manuals available to compare the loads and it sure is slot easier when you get a new chambering to see what powders are more suitable for that particular cartridge.

I'm not married to the computer like a lot of guys.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a membership on loaddata.com and so far that's all I have needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still consider them great reading, and a relatively cheap way to get a look at the "new" rounds that seem to be proliferating.
Also view it as a good way to get a perspective on the new powders that also seem to be proliferating.
That said, I'm not to quick to buy every latest edition, as after a point, redundancy sets in.
Did Loaddata clear up the use of bullet makers data that they hadn't permission to use?

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
A person can spend an hour or so wading thru the internet comparing loads.
I like to have 3-4 manuals available to compare the loads and it sure is slot easier when you get a new chambering to see what powders are more suitable for that particular cartridge.

I'm not married to the computer like a lot of guys.

9412 posts, you look to be engaged or going steady atleast...... smile I hear you and like mine, but now you can get the same info or the load data. My older ones have powder no longer available.

Good Shooting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.