Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Has anyone had any experience with concealed carry of the Sig 229 and Glock 19/23? Especially with an IWB holster. Any noticable difference in concealability?

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only experience is with the 19. I've gone through a number of holsters for it to find what works with my body type and what doesn't.

Other things that matter is what location you prefer to carry. Some holsters that work well on your hip, don't necessarily work well as an appendix carry holster, and visa versa.

I really prefer an appendix carry option. My problem is that I have a fat gut that is also rock hard as all my fat is behind my muscles. This really likes to push things way out. Some holsters that I've had high hope for (N8-2(squared), various kydex (Raven concealment and others)), just print way too much on me.

I've found that a Remora or Sticky Holster works well, but they are slower draws.

I had a crossbreed super tuck for my G-29 that I sold. That worked really well for concealment, but I couldn't wear it at the appendix location. Crossbreed does make an appendix carry version that I really ought to give a shot.

For me, the closer the grip is to my belt line, the more it conceals and both the crossbreed and the Remora/Sticky holsters allow you to get that gun deep. Most others that I've tried do not...

The obvious answer for me is that I have to lose weight. grinblush

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience is with the 229. I've got a Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB for it that works for me wearing it in the 4'oclock position. A t-shirt needs to be pretty loose, but with a button-down short-sleeved shirt it's no problem. That holster seats it pretty deep into the pants and even though the gun is thicker than those I normally carry IWB, it works fine with pants that are normally a little loose on me.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Glock 19 shows to be 1.18" thick while the 229 shows to be 1.5" thick. So, the Glock might be a little easier to conceal.

Do you already have one of the two? Or are you considering purchasing one of the two?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have Glocks...just kicking around the idea of the 229. The Glocks hide well, but seems like 1911s hide better wjth a good holster.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cannot tell about the G19 vs. the 229R, but I can tell you that the 229R is a PIG in every dimension against a G30SF with the standard 10 round magazine installed. I am mainly talking about height, width and weight, which are of critical importance to concealment. (The G30 is .2� shorter in height than the 19 and .6� shorter than the 229. The G30 is wider than the G19, and the Sig is wider than the G30. The Sig weighs more unloaded than the G19 weighs loaded-add 7 to 8 ounces for ammo.) The only attribute that is better with the 229 is the more rounded top of the rear of the slide, as opposed to the boxy rear of the Glock, which aids in concealment.

I tried a 229R in a Sparks VMII and it did not work for me. (The 30SF didn�t really, either, but it was better than the 229R.) The 30 will hide well in a Crossbreed Supertuck that is adjusted to get the gun low and canted. The 229 may work better in that holster than the Sparks, but it still is taller, wider and heavier. I may be able to get some pictures when time permits.

I wouldn�t carry a 229 for CCW unless somebody made me. There are just too many other packages out there that work better for that purpose. But, if you really want to try it, I would make you a good deal on a VMII.

YMMV

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I may take you up on that. Im trying to justify a 229, but really cant. Too much trigger time with Glocks and 1911s. Ive about talked myself into a 357 Sig, but the smart move is a G32.
I can buy the Glock, night sights and Broomeland holster and still come out ahead. Or leave well enough alone and keep my money. This was supposed to be for a truck gun anyway.
I appreciate all the input.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't get me wrong, I love my 229 and it is a fantastic shooter, but I wouldn't buy it as a primary CCW. There's just too many better options out there for that purpose.

edited to add that I posted this before I read Cheyenne's post, looks like we've reached the same conclusion...

Last edited by RyanTX; 08/29/13.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Ive been trying hard to justify it...just not working. Guess I will stick with the original plan. Get the Glock for a truck gun. I should do the smart thing and get a 21SF.
At some point I'll find an excuse for buying a Sig.
What cal 229 do you have?

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally don't find the Glock 19 hard to hide if i carry in my Super Tuck . The easiest Glock to hide is my Glock 36 in the Super Tuck .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a Sig P229 .40 and a Glock 19 9mm. The 229 was my uniform duty gun and I bought it when I retired. I have tried many times to like the 229 as a CCW gun but it just seems a wee bit too thick and heavy for my taste. I've tried IWB and OWB and just consider it too big for comfortable carry. The 229 has now found a permanent home riding in the console of my vehicle.

The Glock 19, on the other hand, feels "just right". I usually carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3 o'clock. In the winter I carry it in an OWB holster in the same position.

Only you can decide if you agree with me, but my opinion is that the Glock 19 is the best CCW option for holster carry that I have found, especially when compared to the P229.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/29/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

The Glock 19, on the other hand, feels "just right". I usually carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3 o'clock. In the winter I carry it in an OWB holster in the same position.

Only you can decide if you agree with me, but my opinion is that the Glock 19 is the best CCW option for holster carry that I have found

This bears repeating. I couldn't have said it better. I can only add that my Supertuck has had about 30% or the leather whittled away and the clips moved and modified multiple times before I got it to where I could drive all day wearing it in comfort. If you buy one and it gives you a hot/sore spot, don't piss and moan and throw it in a drawer, just fix the damn thing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
Ive been trying hard to justify it...just not working. Guess I will stick with the original plan. Get the Glock for a truck gun. I should do the smart thing and get a 21SF.
At some point I'll find an excuse for buying a Sig.
What cal 229 do you have?

Mine is a 9mm. Like I said, I love it and won't ever sell it, but I also don't use it for CCW.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I agree my Glock 19 and 23 are easy to carry, but I like my Broomeland IWB better. I can easily cc the Glocks or 1911 in one. I have a Supertuck, but its never grown on me. I agree the G19 is great.

Last edited by Flfiremedic; 08/29/13.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I agree my Glock 19 and 23 are easy to carry, but I like my Broomeland IWB better. I can easily cc the Glocks or 1911 in one. I have a Supertuck, but its never grown on me. I agree the G19 is great.

The important thing is you have a holster that works for you and a great carry pistol. If you want to sell that Glock Supertuck, PM me.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
PM sent

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I may take you up on that. Im trying to justify a 229, but really cant. Too much trigger time with Glocks and 1911s. Ive about talked myself into a 357 Sig, but the smart move is a G32.
I can buy the Glock, night sights and Broomeland holster and still come out ahead. Or leave well enough alone and keep my money. This was supposed to be for a truck gun anyway.
I appreciate all the input.

^^^This^^^

Wy carry a Glock 19 when you can carry a Glock 32. Same Size but in a Real Caliber.
My primary CHL Pistole varies between two guns, depending on where Im headed when I leave the Ranch. Ones a Glock 32, which is what I pack at the Ranch when packing a Autoloader. And a 1911 Lightweight Commander in .45acp.
I've tried EVERYTHING over the last 20 years & those 2 handguns best serve my purposes for CHL Carry. I've tried every model Sig Sauer made, & just never could get comfortable with them. Great LE Guns, just not for me.

Heaven Forbid if I could only keep one Semi-Auto & get rid of all the rest except, of course, for my Revolvers..... It would be my Glock 32.. Or my Glock 20, if I only kept one handgun cool

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry my Sig P239 357 Sig in a Super Tuck and it is not bad, but still not as confortable as the Glock 19 or my Glock 23 in 40 or 357 Sig with the Lone Wolf barrel in the Super Tuck
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most common part of a firearm that is hard to hide is the grip. It tends to "print" and is what is often noticed when carrying concealed. Width of a firearm would be a personal comfort. A good fitting holster would make either firearm disappear. I would suggest Galco Royal Guard or a Crossbreed, both are decent holsters plus there are many more that are equally comfortable brands of holsters. Attention to clothing and dressing attire goes a long way in concealing a firearm as well. I don't have a hard time concealing a Glock, even though they are considered probably a little more challenging to hide than other brands of firearms due to their double stack magazines making the grip size thicker than others to conceal?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.