Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
nobody would want to be a gunsmith. I'm putting the world on notice that the only Brownings that are allowed in our front door are the old ones built on an FN action!!!

I finally got the A Bolt to working. I freed up the bolt sleeve, bedded it into a McMillan stock, put it all together and the firing pin wouldn't fall. RATS!

I slept on the problem overnight the went to the shop, took the barreled action out of the stock and it worked just fine. Not all that unusual (if you put a Jewell trigger in a Remington and then put it in a McMillan stock you're gonna have to remove some stock and some of the trigger guard) but when I put the stock back it wouldn't work....again. No reason for it to have started working on the second try but I had to check. I removed the trigger guard and it works. I had to relieve the trigger guard about .050 directly behind the trigger and Cerakote it all over......again.

My question is, why wouldn't it work if it worked in the original stock? The trigger guard's position is dictated by the hole spacing in the action that the action screws go through so why did the guard block the trigger now and not before?

I've had all the prestige I want for awhile and got finished with the other several years back, thank Goodness. Only you old guys will understand and believe that last sentence. smile

Last edited by MColeman; 08/28/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McMillan a smidge taller so the trigger wouldn't function properly? Bottom metal inlet a little off?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The McMillan is inletted for the factory Remington trigger and the Jewell is a little fatter in places. You have to mill out the opening in the trigger guard a little for clearance. No big deal but it has to be done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well that makes perfect sense. Having 0 Jewell triggers and all....... laugh

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All these years and you hadn't learned to leave Brownings alone??

Geez, Mickey..

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

Geez, Mickey..

laugh laugh laugh

Lee, all he wanted was to get it Cerakoted. I figured that would be simple enough. I was wrong. I'll never let another through the front door.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Browning A-Bolt Stainless! Just wait until you remove the barrel and all the threads on the barrel and in the action gall together. Then you buy a new gun for the customer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Redneck

Geez, Mickey..

laugh laugh laugh

Lee, all he wanted was to get it Cerakoted. I figured that would be simple enough. I was wrong. I'll never let another through the front door.
ROTFLMAO...

I've made the same determination re: Mausers... smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No brownings around here either.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
what is it with girls and lathes, Mickey?

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
Browning A-Bolt Stainless! Just wait until you remove the barrel and all the threads on the barrel and in the action gall together. Then you buy a new gun for the customer.

That day won't ever come. I had the threads gall on a Kelbly stainless action once. Cut the barrel off just in front of the receiver, indicated the action to run dead nuts then bored the old barrel stub out. Once I reached the top of the action threads the rest came out like a coil spring.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tomk

Tom, at my age I seem to remember a 'girl' but can't remember what you do with one. I trust a lathe a lot more than I do a woman.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A-borts are pure crap. Hard to believe someone would spend money and having stuff done to one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

That day won't ever come. I had the threads gall on a Kelbly stainless action once. Cut the barrel off just in front of the receiver, indicated the action to run dead nuts then bored the old barrel stub out. Once I reached the top of the action threads the rest came out like a coil spring.

Mickey, Been there, and had to do that, mine was on a Remington stainless action that when rebarreled the person that did it never put anything on the thread. Took a pipe on the action wrench to break it loose and made like two full turns and locked up, and I mean locked up. I would never own a A-Bolt. Worked on one back in the 80's that had the trigger that broke off on the curve, had half a trigger. Called Browning and would not send a trigger. It looked like they use cast white metal in the trigger and plated it gold. No way to fix it, the owner call Browning and told him he was going to super glue it back together and they were liable for anything that happened, they sent him another trigger ASAP.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by tomk

Tom, at my age I seem to remember a 'girl' but can't remember what you do with one. I trust a lathe a lot more than I do a woman.

Amen brother, and I know nothing about lathes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bedded the first two of the new Browning rifles that I saw many years ago for another store -the ones with the light pretty stocks .

When I took them out of the bedding both now had cracks behind the trigger guards.

I then decided that these were not worth the aggravation at that time.

Especially with the Tikka rifles that were available in the same time period.

Glenn

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Will you install a Lothar-Walther barrel? grin

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Only if I have a carbide chamber reamer for the chosen cartridge.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Don't like to and it costs $50 extra.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Woof...

Wow.. I've never had an issue (YET) with an SS barrel not being able to be removed.. I usually add a few drops of Kroil into the front scope base hole over the threads and let it soak in for a couple days - adding a drop or two every few hours.. They've all come off without an issue..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.