Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Personally, I can't believe they made them legal again

Crossbows should be limited to Muzzy seasons

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ChrisBP
Originally Posted by TC1
CLB, I'm in the same situation as you. They changed the rules here in Mississippi this year and I wanted to give it a try. I was a big time bow hunter until my early 40's. Then life just got in the way of practice too many times. Being good with a bow is nothing like riding a bicycle. It's a perishable skill that needs regular attention to stay honed. After being out of the sport for a few years I tried to get back into it 3 years ago but just couldn't seem to find the time to practice enough. Between the responsibilities of my family and job, bow practice takes a low priority and my skill level suffers from it.

After the crossbow rule change of this year I got interested in bow season again. My BIL has had a crossbow medical waver for the last two years and I've shot his a few times and really liked it. After much research it boiled down to two models. The Excalibur 380 Matrix and Barnett Ghost 410. I ended up going with the Barnett Ghost 410 and couldn't be happier with it. The season opens in 2 weeks and I'm sighted in and practiced up. I'm excited about archery season for the first time in probably 10 years. I'm not a purest, I just like to hunt wink

After spending a little time with mine I would agree with the comments about stalking with one. I can see where it would be a serious pain in the butt. I imagine the only stalking I'll be doing with mine is to and from the stand.

Chris' sight is pretty good, also check out Crossbow Nation for a lot of good info. Also, take most of what you read with a grain of salt. There is a lot of prejudice about crossbows in the archery world both for and against. It sort of reminds me of back in the day, the controversy about recurve vs. compound bows. Two things I would dissagree with on this thread is about accuracy and penetration. Out of the two crossbows I've spent time with, I've found them both to be extremely accurate. On the penetration issue the energy numbers speak for themselves.

Nice choice on Ghost 410.
Anyone who also interested in this crossbow, enjoy a video from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3PmpSFwrU
[video:youtube]im3PmpSFwrU[/video]
[color:#000099][b]the ghost 410 review[/b][/color]

I need to have 3 vertabrea in my neck and 3 in my back fused. I cannot draw my bow right now. When I stopped through cabelas a month or so ago they had one crossbow left, it was the ghost 410. It does not really carry well.....but I like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I purchased aParker last yr. Gets me out in the woods. The stats for fewer wounded deer are compelling. I couldn't shoot a compound well due to rotator cuff issues and didn't want to aggravate it. A few guys have given me the look and comments - negative, and my response is go back to the recurve Iif you area purist archer. They get it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used my Horton for the 1st time this year. Got my 1st deer in 3 years this past Saturday. I would prefer to use my PSE compound, but I honestly do not have the time or space to keep practicing like I used to.

I used to shoot at least a dozen arrows a night for 3-4 months prior to the season starting...I just can't do that currently.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 4,375 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,674
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.