Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My daughters & I went through the hunter safety course a few months ago (figured a refresher after 37 years wouldn't hurt & I was right) and ever since then one of them has been bugging the bejezus out of me to get her a bow. At first I figured it was just a phase but she's still pinging me on it & even told me she wants a bow for Christmas.

I've never bow hunted & neither has she, so I don't think there's any way she'll be ready to bow hunt deer this season - there's just too much to learn & not enough time.

She's 16, so what I'm thinking is - I should get her an inexpensive starter set-up. Maybe a recurve or youth compound in the 20lb range to get her practicing shooting, and then go from there. If she's still interested next summer we can start looking for a serious set-up. If not, I'm only out a hundred bucks or so.

Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If YOU want her to like the sport, take her to an established pro-shop and let them fix her up.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think browning makes/made the mirco midas bows or something like that. It has a extremely long draw length adjustment range like 10 inches of adjustment. 20 to 30 lbs or 30 to 40 lbs choices. I'd take her to a shop, get her measured, see what she can draw, but look for a used starter bow. Join in, if she's 16 you should take advantage of her wanting to do stuff with ya. You'll see that change soon. Mines 17 1/2 and don't have much time for the old man anymore. lol. Good luck, happy hunting!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Agreed-let her try something with an experienced shop helping her get her draw length, form, and poundage set right the first time. Getting her a starter set may work, but it's still a gamble if the gear is wrong for "her". It would be sad to to loose a hunting partner over a poor fitting bow or wrong spine weight. Just sayin. ..

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grovey
Mines 17 1/2 and don't have much time for the old man anymore.

That's why I'm leery of forking out big bucks right away.

There is a shop with a great reputation pretty close to me so I'll give that a try & see what happens.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you get up NOVA way, Hoffman Archery will get you/her set up without breaking the bank. If you tell them what cost range you think you want to stay within, they'll work with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tough to find much quality for $100. A quality "starter bow" that will grow with her will run you about $500 and that includes a release and arrows. Diamonds Infinite Edge and Mission's Craze are both quality package bows with serious adjustability. Either will serve her through adulthood

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the "Diamond" razor edge bows. 10" of draw length adjustment. 30 to 60 lbs adjustable pull and a 7" brace height. All good things. 300 bucks new... A bow like that ( that much adjustment would be any easy resale too if she grows out of it one way or another. Pretty fast bow too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out Parker Bows , they are hard to beat and not priced as high as the competition

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was eyeballing the Diamond Infinite Edge and Mission Craze, thinking if she does give it up, I can still use it.

One problem is she may or may not be a lefty - she writes lefty but is right eye dominant so she shoots guns righty. My youngest daughter is a righty but she's left eye dominant & shoots lefty.

Yet one more good reason to go to a pro shop I guess.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beware of the "pro shops" tho. Its because of them that guys like me are in business. Watch their attn to detail. How much time they actually spend fitting the bow to the customer. If its a quick" yeah that looks right", get out of there. Because all they interested in is the approved code on the credit card machine

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 13,386 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,272
Posts18,545,007
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.