-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a bunch of reels in fly and bait cast configurations that would explain to anyone listening exactly what the differences are.

A couple 80# halibut on fly gear on the same very old reel think the old (expensive) reliable is worth every penny.

That would be the same model Gr8fuldoug whacked a knuckle with on a silver salmon some years ago. It took the handle clean off the reel. The knuckle lost in the long term.

When thousands of pounds of fish are dealt with annually with the same reel it starts making more sense to buy just quality gear.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

T
tbear Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
When the old red Ambassadors were the best reel available I did just that without any trouble. My 100/year fishing trips were day light to dark in heat, cold, rain, & snow. I doubt you ever cast an old Ambassador with that statement. I also fished in a few tournaments back in the day. Best day was 100lbs 7 0z. for 20 bass on the Santee Cooper. Also won a few big bass tournaments with 9-10lb.+ fish. For specialized fishing where really big fish in large numbers are involved I can see spending more than $150 on a reel, but for general purpose freshwater fishing I just don't fell the need.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i feel a good way to find out about reel quality is to talk
with people who earn a living servicing them.
im primarily a salt water fisherman which requires more frequent servicing of reels. today if you dont have gold
lever drags with custom rods lined up in a rocket launcher
your not considered much of a fisherman. but those who fix them
will tell you thats not necessarily a fact. the old penn senators and the like still do a bang up job for those unaffected by the snide remarks.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Originally Posted by reelman
A single shot H&R for $150 will do anything a $10,000 custom build will do also

No it won't.

That must be good stuff you're smoking.

Darn close though!!

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread reminds me of something out of the optics forum. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a few reels...

[Linked Image]

I also personally believe that after you reach the $200.00 level, you should have a pretty good reel.
The better reels have good metal gears, along with metal guts.
You also need a good drag system, but these can be bought on the internet to upgrade even an otherwise less expensive reel.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
lets see ....
45k for the boat
another 30k for a truck to pull it
makes 500 for a reel seem cheap when it is the link between you and the fish..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The difference between a $50 and a $100 reel is HUGE, the difference between a $100 and a $200 reel is not so great. As you get more expensive the quality and differences get smaller and smaller for your money. That's pretty much the same in just about everything you buy.

I repped Abu reels up until this past April so I will use their Revo line as an example. The Revo S is a nice reel for $120, the SX gives you magnetic cast control and a couple more bearings (that don't really make it any smoother or do anything other than make it sound better) for $165. Step up to the STX for around $200 and you get a couple more bearings (again that don't do anything) and an aluminum sideplate. Now go to the MGX and they give you a magnezium frame that makes it about 3/4 oz lighter for $350. Step all the way up to the MGXrteme and you get a magnezium frame and sideplate along with a carbon handle and some titanium parts in it that save about 1/2 oz over the MGX for $500! Virtually all of the parts on all of the reels are interchangible and they will all cast pretty much the same distance and have the same drags, actually the MGxtreme has a lower quality drag because it's lighter. And being magnezium it's less durable than the lower priced aluminum framed models but it is lighter.

It's no surprise that the SX outsells all the other ones combined as it gives you the best value for the dollar. If you want to have a super lightweight combo the MGxtreme is the way to go. Kind of like a Remington Mountain Rifle is a nice gun for about $700, if you want a lighter rifle go with a Kimber for about $1400 and if you want the ultimate go with a Rilfes Inc. rifle for several thousand dollars.

This is why I cherish my "Morum" reels.

Doc

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

No it won't.

Agreed

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
The difference between a $50 and a $100 reel is HUGE, the difference between a $100 and a $200 reel is not so great. As you get more expensive the quality and differences get smaller and smaller for your money. That's pretty much the same in just about everything you buy.

I repped Abu reels up until this past April so I will use their Revo line as an example. The Revo S is a nice reel for $120, the SX gives you magnetic cast control and a couple more bearings (that don't really make it any smoother or do anything other than make it sound better) for $165. Step up to the STX for around $200 and you get a couple more bearings (again that don't do anything) and an aluminum sideplate. Now go to the MGX and they give you a magnezium frame that makes it about 3/4 oz lighter for $350. Step all the way up to the MGXrteme and you get a magnezium frame and sideplate along with a carbon handle and some titanium parts in it that save about 1/2 oz over the MGX for $500! Virtually all of the parts on all of the reels are interchangible and they will all cast pretty much the same distance and have the same drags, actually the MGxtreme has a lower quality drag because it's lighter. And being magnezium it's less durable than the lower priced aluminum framed models but it is lighter.

It's no surprise that the SX outsells all the other ones combined as it gives you the best value for the dollar. If you want to have a super lightweight combo the MGxtreme is the way to go. Kind of like a Remington Mountain Rifle is a nice gun for about $700, if you want a lighter rifle go with a Kimber for about $1400 and if you want the ultimate go with a Rilfes Inc. rifle for several thousand dollars.

This is why I cherish my "Morum" reels.

Doc

As do I! They were the last reel made is Sweden that was really the quality an Abu should be.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by martineta

No it won't.

Agreed

What I mean is they will both kill a deer just fine. Of course a nice custom will do it with more class and more accuracy but for the majority of hunters the POS H&R will kill anything they shoot at if they do their part.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tbear
When the old red Ambassadors were the best reel available I did just that without any trouble. My 100/year fishing trips were day light to dark in heat, cold, rain, & snow. I doubt you ever cast an old Ambassador with that statement. I also fished in a few tournaments back in the day. Best day was 100lbs 7 0z. for 20 bass on the Santee Cooper. Also won a few big bass tournaments with 9-10lb.+ fish. For specialized fishing where really big fish in large numbers are involved I can see spending more than $150 on a reel, but for general purpose freshwater fishing I just don't fell the need.
I've still got the first Ambassador 5000 that my Dad bought me at K Mart back about 1972. It still works fine. I rebuilt it a few years back. I'd rather use one of my newer Shimano's or Daiwa's though.

T
tbear Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
There was nothing comparable in casting reels in this era. You could add or subtract the anti-backlash things & replace the gears if they became worn. I purchased my first Ambassadors for $20 at a local sporting goods dealer. Wish I had never gave them away to friends.
The 2500C was only made for a few years, but also was a marvel. Smaller than a 5000 they were excellent for Smallmouth & other light line fishing. I still have 2 of these on graphite rods for casting small plastic worms & lures on 6lb. test line.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Abu still makes the 2500C for the Japenese market and occasionally brings them to the USA for a dealer if they order enough of them. The new ones have IAR which makes them even nicer than the originals. I know there are a couple 2500CDL's floating around on Ebay but at around $1000 I'm guessing it's not what you're looking for.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Abu still makes the 2500C for the Japenese market and occasionally brings them to the USA for a dealer if they order enough of them. The new ones have IAR which makes them even nicer than the originals. I know there are a couple 2500CDL's floating around on Ebay but at around $1000 I'm guessing it's not what you're looking for.

Reelman,

I have two 2500C's I picked up from "1B" who lives in Reston, Virginia 3 years ago, I have not used them yet.

Doc

T
tbear Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the information. I have over 30 reels so I doubt I ever buy another. I look at the 2500 as sort of a specialty reel for light line & smaller lures. Guess thats why it didn't sell & was discontinued. For $1000 clams I would sell mine in a heart beat.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The $1000 2500C's are the CDL version which has many parts actually gold plated. They're not really used very often, more for putting on the mantel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
just read this thread, Alert uses Avet reels the 80s run about $800 the 50s $500. add in 3000yds of 100# braid and custom rods and they get pricy. the roller guides on those rods run $250 set, so rod will run round $400 in parts if you build it yourself. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don,t recall ever seeing anyone using any Ambassadeur reels at a registered Pro-AM Bass Tournament.Then again I have never fished above the Mason Dixon line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
This thread reminds me of something out of the optics forum. smile

Good point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.