Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Anything that goes perfect with fresh French bread,please. Or any kind of bread for that matter.

Meal type soups and stews,if you don't mind..

Last edited by isaac; 09/16/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic ( I like more)
� pound pork ( I have used pork loin, pork roast, etc) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 medium onion chopped ( about 3/4 cup)
2 cups cooked pinto beans ( a 30 ounce can works well)
1 can (30 ounce) hominy drained
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green chilies (I just use a small can of roasted and peeled, you can use mild or hot)
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 cups chicken broth ( I use 2 15 oz cans)
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tsp dried oregano leaves
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
Heat � cup oil and the garlic in a 3 quart sauce pan or stock pot until hot. Coat pork with flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown; remove from saucepan. Cook and stir � cup onion in same saucepan until tender. Stir in pinto beans, hominy, carrot, celery, green chilies and chili powder. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir pork, oregano, chicken broth, salt, pepper into vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add � cup chopped onion and the cilantro to mixture prior to serving.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roasted Tomato soup.

Bunch of fresh tomatoes
One yellow onion
Couple of Thai chiles or any that you prefer
Four to six cloves of garlic
Chicken stock
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

Slice tomatoes, onions, and spread out on a sheet pan with the chiles and garlic. Coat with olive oil and roast at 400-425 for about an hour or until blistered to your liking. Into a food processor or blender, or smash for a more rustic feel, transfer into a pot and add chicken stock. Simmer for about a half hour, Turn off heat and add cream or milk. Toast some crusty bread and enjoy. Sorry, no finished pic, we got hungry. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by calikooknic; 09/16/13.

Sean
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That tomato soup looks yummy & sure seems like something easy enough for me to try to attempt! Also, a great way to use up some of those fresh veggies outta my garden!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
still trying to gain acceptance here I see...ain't gonna work til you man up and quit being a [bleep]

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cut any fairly lean beef ( a little fat adds flavor) into bite-size pieces, coat with flour seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder (can use seasoned salt and pepper in the flour.) Brown in 1/4-inch of olive oil over medium heat, and just before done, add onion cut into larger-than-diced chunks and cook until the onions start to turn clear. Add enough water to cover the meat and onions by a couple of inches, add concentrated beef broth or cubes to taste, add a couple pinches of dried (or fresh) thyme and oregano, salt, pepper and garlic and leave to simmer for at least a half hour before adding veggies. About a half hour before serving, add bite-sized cut up potatoes, celery and carrots - if you like bigger chunks, allow more time for cooking the veggies. Taste the broth - add seasonings as needed. When veggies are done, mix flour and water to make about a half cup of smooth, runny paste and add to the simmering broth, stirring well, to turn it into a thin gravy for stew. (I use a shaker cup to make sure the flour and water are well-mixed.) If you like, you can even add tomatoes or tomato sauce (my Mom did...) to make the beef stew reddish in color and a different taste. She served it with home-made dumplings cooked on top of the stew before thickening it.

I have a terrible trait that I don't measure anything and use seasonings to taste.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Take it back to the "douche bag" thread instead of insisting on ruining someone else's legitimate post.

Shows your intelligence whistle

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can make chicken stew exactly like above, just substitute chicken meat for the beef, no need to flour the chicken before saute'ing it, use chicken broth and leave out the tomatoes. Substitute or add sage to the broth, perhaps less garlic. Again - great with dumplings.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya just keep rackin up points don't ya dirtbag? You are one of those people who will never meet anyone on here in person or ever attend a get together. You won't contribute anything useful but just seek attention. Sad for you as you are such a loser. go ahead a quote this post to change it like you have so many others..you are a pathetic excuse for life..you would do the world a favor if you would suck on a Glock while pulling the trigger. Most likely you are an odumber supporter.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to interrupt the love fest... blush

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No worries we just have a new attention whore troll...he will go away soon..

thanks for the recipe..I for one appreciate it

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keith-Very interested in the pazole recipe but I am confused about the pinto beans. Says 2 cups cooked beans or a 30 OZ. can works well. Make the call on what I think you mean or is it a #3 can?-Mike

Last edited by fink65; 09/16/13.

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by eh76
Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic ( I like more)
� pound pork ( I have used pork loin, pork roast, etc) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 medium onion chopped ( about 3/4 cup)
2 cups cooked pinto beans ( a 30 ounce can works well)
1 can (30 ounce) hominy drained
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green chilies (I just use a small can of roasted and peeled, you can use mild or hot)
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 cups chicken broth ( I use 2 15 oz cans)
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tsp dried oregano leaves
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
Heat � cup oil and the garlic in a 3 quart sauce pan or stock pot until hot. Coat pork with flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown; remove from saucepan. Cook and stir � cup onion in same saucepan until tender. Stir in pinto beans, hominy, carrot, celery, green chilies and chili powder. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir pork, oregano, chicken broth, salt, pepper into vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add � cup chopped onion and the cilantro to mixture prior to serving.

One of my favorites!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Does pork green chili stew (chili verde) interest you? This one with nopales. Need torts rather than bread though.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fink65
Keith-Very interested in the pazole recipe but I am confused about the pinto beans. Says 2 cups cooked beans or a 30 OZ. can works well. Make the call on what I think you mean or is it a #3 can?-Mike

I used a 30 oz can of Kuners brand IIRC but I will check when I get home. I did use that size but all I have are 16 oz cans on the shelf. Even regarding the pork I just toss what I like in...it is all good!

Last edited by eh76; 09/17/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pazole is a favorite. Wifes family from New Mexico often uses red chili, but both are excellent and ya really gotta try to fugg it up.

This is a John Folse Recipe I am excited to try this year. Pretty involved, but if you enjoy cooking, no biggie.

Cauliflower and Duck Bisque

INGREDIENTS FOR DUCK STOCK:

1 Long Island Duck
6 quarts cold water
2 cups onions, diced
2 cups celery, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 cup dry white wine
METHOD:
In a 2-gallon stockpot, place all of the above ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until duck is tender and falling apart. Remove duck from stock and de-bone. Save skin for garnishing soup and dice the meat into 1/4-inch cubes. Set aside. Reserve 3 quarts of duck stock for soup

INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP:

4 cups chopped cauliflower, cooked meat from duck, 2-1/2 quarts reserved duck stock and duck skin baked in oven until crispy and brown
1 cup butter
2 cups onions, diced
2 cups celery, diced
1 cup bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1 cup flour
2 1/2 quarts reserved duck stock
1 ounce brandy
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup green onions, sliced
1 cup parsley, chopped
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
METHOD:
In a 2-gallon stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Saut� approximately 25 minutes, stirring constantly until cauliflower can be mashed against the bottom of the pot. Allow to brown slightly. Add flour and stir, using a wire whisk, until white roux is achieved. It is all right if flour browns slightly. Add duck stock, one ladle at a time, stirring until all is incorporated. Add brandy and whipping cream, bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer. Cook approximately 30 minutes. Add duck meat, green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt and cracked black pepper. When serving, add a small amount of julienned duck skin to garnish soup

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I, too, love chili verde, but since he wanted stuff to go with French bread, I didn't think to post it. My Grandmother used to make it, and we'd have fresh, warm corn torillas with butter to sop it up with! (She wasn't Hispanic, but Cherokee and Chickasaw. It was good made with pronghorn, too.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds delicious!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, this one is pretty good. Goes well with French Bread
Cauliflower Soup

One pound cauliflower, diced
One medium onion, find diced
One rib celery, fine diced
One large chef potato, diced
One tbls butter, one tbls good olive oil
3 cups vegetable stock, or defatted chicken stock
salt, pepper , white pepper, cayenne to taste
one cup heavy cream
one tbls sherry
4 oz shredded sharp Vermont white cheese

Method:

Saut� onion and celery in the butter and olive oil until translucent
Add stock, cauliflower, potato and seasonings
Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 min, or so until the vegetables are tender
Remove, and cool, Remove most of the cauliflower. Puree soup until smooth
Place back in saucepan, add cauliflower, heat, and add the heavy cream.
Heat, but do not boil
Add sherry, and three oz of the shredded cheese
Stir to blend. Top with the rest of the cheese, and serve

Sam......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 17,010 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,068
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.