Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have seen a huge batch of Sitka blacktails killed with the 223 and a variety of bullets. Most do not go far...

You advocate using .223 FMJ's on deer sized animals?

The .223 is certainly capable of efficiently killing deer, even with FMJ's if it's in the right hands, but there are better choices for sure.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
FMJs do kill, but unless they hit bone (which can make quite the mess) they often do the dreaded "penciling" through. A couple deer and several coyotes I saw hit directly through the lungs with them ran a couple hundred yards and lived for a couple minutes before they died. I would choose something else if I could.

Vietnam and the Middle East isn't much of an indicator, due to the test subjects often being hopped up on opium. At least that was my experience. FMJs (ball) are cheap to produce, which is partially why the military uses them. The Hague Convention is another part.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shootem
Friend of mine started his kids off deer hunting with a H&R .223 single shot with a straight 6X off brand scope. And they used plain old what used to be white box 55gr FMJ. They hunted a great area and the kids killed a bunch of Alabama whitetails with it. He also popped a very large cur dog and another smaller that were after his cattle. As he put it they just "went to sleep" along with assorted coyotes that wandered thru the farm at the wrong time. He didn't know you couldn't kill stuff with them so they worked just fine. He also busted a buck about 180lbs or so hunting with surplus 30-06 ammo left over from a Garand match. He didn't realize that wouldn't work either.

No one here has said they wouldn't work, just that they are illegal and that there are better bullets than a FMJ even in 223.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm sure there are experienced folks here that could pile them to the sky using FMJ's, but I'd have to pass unless it was all I had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FMJ's of any kind is not legal for big game hunting ie white tail deer were I live. I don't know about other states but I would bet if caught the fines would be fairly steep. Check the game laws were you live in this regard. If its against the rules why teach rule breaking to your children, that sort of thing is just not good from the get go. Guns and hunting is under attack and why give them the ammo by being this irresponsible?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
People drive over the speed limit, drift thru stop signs, work extra jobs under the table and don't pay the tax. All illegal and all in front of the kids.

The question was has anyone shot a Deer with one and what were the results.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by battue
People drive over the speed limit, drift thru stop signs, work extra jobs under the table and don't pay the tax. All illegal and all in front of the kids.

I was thinkin exactly the same thing about some posts wink

Just to add the rifle I used was an early Ruger M-14, so the bullets were stabilized in flight but definatly not after they hit the deer!

Anybody confirm my memory on early FMJ surplus bullets being 68 or 69gn weights?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by shootem
Friend of mine started his kids off deer hunting with a H&R .223 single shot with a straight 6X off brand scope. And they used plain old what used to be white box 55gr FMJ. They hunted a great area and the kids killed a bunch of Alabama whitetails with it. He also popped a very large cur dog and another smaller that were after his cattle. As he put it they just "went to sleep" along with assorted coyotes that wandered thru the farm at the wrong time. He didn't know you couldn't kill stuff with them so they worked just fine. He also busted a buck about 180lbs or so hunting with surplus 30-06 ammo left over from a Garand match. He didn't realize that wouldn't work either.

No one here has said they wouldn't work, just that they are illegal and that there are better bullets than a FMJ even in 223.

I personally won't use them and my friend has also moved on to better projectiles. Still it was an eye opener for me that the FMJ worked that well. Wouldn't have expected it. And keep in mind tons of African game has been collected with the old round nosed FMJ in various calibers from 6.5 up. WDM Bell comes to mind. Paraphrasing a quote often attributed to him claims "...no soft-nosed bullet ever polluted my bore" and I believe he was referring to the 7x57 as used on plains game. I doubt the round nosed version FMJ created any larger a wound channel than will the spitzer; possibly less.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

The early FMJs used in Vietnam were absolutely intended to tumble upon impact. The very earliest M16/AR15 rifle had a very slow twist(1 in 14)and all this was by design.

citation?
reasoning?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue

OK, I've shot a lot of stuff with FMJ's from the M16 and witnessed even more. They kill stuff, from monkeys to elephants and everything in between. It is not always graceful like Hollywood, and where one fails there are more to toss from the -16. There were even extra magazines available (imagine that!) and on occasion they were used. Even on people.

My previous comments were based on experience, not speculation.

To answer a question above: Single body hits with the 5.56 FMJ or 7.62x51 don't always stop critters or people, but they usually slow them down. Hits to the CNS are 100% reliable. Multiple hits with either will stop people and critters for the most part, but I hauled an NVA to an EVAC hospital one day that had been hit over 20 times in the lower torso and legs with a minigun. He was alive when we dropped him off at the hospital. Elapsed time from the shooting to the hospital was about 30 minutes.

The 5.56mm as used in Nam was prone to tumble but I never believed it was intentional as a design feature. The overturning moments countered by twist rate are proportional to the density of the medium a bullet transits. In other words, one helluva lot greater in flesh than air. It is quite common of BTSP bullets to tumble after they hit anything. Not guaranteed, but not the least bit uncommon. I've seen wounds from the -16 that represented both outcomes.

Having said that, I would not use one on game unless there was absolutely no other alternative supported by supreme need.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by TC1
The only time I would ever try it would be in a situation like R H Clark describes and thankfully I've never been in that situation.

Just buy a box of "premium" bullets (TSX's, Partition's, etc.) and go hunting. The .223 is a fine deer round used within it's limits and with the right ammo.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the 223 and 22-250 on caribou with a variety of bullets. I've seen a number of both caribou and moose killed with the 55 FMJ in ARs and Mini-14s. The 55 FMJ often works very well, about like a Barnes X. Then again, sometimes they flip and you get a Berger effect. I would certainly pick a FMJ over most of the 55 SP versions many people seem to like. There are better bullets in the 223, but the FMJ can be effective when used correctly. As with anything you push through a 223 barrel however, you just don't have the nicer margin of error that you get with a more powerful round.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've killed a truck load of feral hogs with the 55 grain FMJ. About half of them were DRT, & the other 1/2 ran about 75 yards & died. I shoot hogs with them because on the big boars at our ranch, I don't give a Schitt if they run off & die.

On the other hand, I hate to see some one wound & loose a deer. I wouldn't recommend using them for deer. I respect deer hunting & the deer more than that. Only way I'd use them on deer would be if i was starved & had nothing else to use.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've killed a truck load of feral hogs with the 55 grain FMJ. About half of them were DRT, & the other 1/2 ran about 75 yards & died. I shoot hogs with them because on the big boars at our ranch, I don't give a Schitt if they run off & die.

Sounds like an honest contribution to the question asked.
I would suspect about the same results had a 308 been used with SP bullets!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In a former life I had a job which often required me to dispatch injured deer and also to shoot dogs that were actively chasing deer. I used a .223 in a 1/12 twist Colt AR-15 SP1 for much of that time, using both 55 gr M193 FMJ and also handloads with the 60 gr. Hornady FBHP bullet.

I probably killed 15 deer and 20 dogs with each load, and I could never tell a difference in their effect. Everything went down quickly if hit well. Nothing ran more than 50 yards if hit well.

Although I do not endorse deer hunting with FMJ's, I think they may be a better choice than many .223 "varmint" bullets because they penetrate better and still kill well.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

The early FMJs used in Vietnam were absolutely intended to tumble upon impact. The very earliest M16/AR15 rifle had a very slow twist(1 in 14)and all this was by design.

citation?
reasoning?

I really don't want to detail in writing in a public forum all of this stuff. Hell it would require about an hour to type it all down. But if you really want to know,PM me a cell phone number and I'll call you. I can talk a lot faster than I can type. grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,554
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.