Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking to build an elevated hunting blind so that I can hopefully get my wife to join me on some hunts. I also have young boys so it will help in that regard as well. I think I want to do a 6x5 that I can also bow hunt out of. I am planning on elevating it 10� off the ground using 4x4 elevators. Does anyone have any good thoughts or plans that they can share. I have googled the crap out of this but have not really found anything that will get me from start to completion. I am not a carpenter so the simpler the better  I am looking to be able to build it for less than $500. I simply can�t afford one of the nice fiberglass stands. If you have any plans, thoughts, or can even just point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
just start nailing some chit together

plans are for pansies

or.....get yourself a defunct handicapped porta potty

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
dig holes drop 4x4 in them nail a rim joint around the 4 posts and joist between posts slap down plywood and walls up from there .

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Slumlord ~ Unfortunately I am one of those guys that take the approach of �if it�s worth doing, it�s worth doing right and unfortunately I have zero construction experience so your approach + my skill set = disaster. Unfortunately I am going to require a well thought out plan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First make your floor (base), using 2x4's and 1/2-3/4" plywood. The make your walls using 1/4" (or 3/8) plywood and 2x2's. Make a roof that will sit on top of the walls(as light as possible). Use a couple drywall screws with the hex heads to secure the walls to the base and roof to the walls. Disassemble the stand, take it to your hunting location and put your legs on the base. Brace the legs with boards horizonally near the bottom of the legs. Stand it upright and bring the wall componants up, one at a time and secure with screws. Put the roof on last. (duh). After the stand is assembled put cross braces on all four legs.

5x6', 10' tall, is a big stand, and dangerous to move in rigid form, unless you have heavy machinery.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just finished building one thats 4'x6'. The bottom of the stand is 8' off the ground. Total cost was $250.
I used 2x2' for the walls and 2x6's for the floor and OSB board for the floor, walls and roof.

There really not that hard to build. Go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
make it too shaky, and your wife won't go in it, anyway. smile

I've got two, one was built, one was bought. Neither are elevated very high. For 10 feet off the ground, you do need to know what you're doing as far as the build, and have help tilting it up.

I'll probably build the next one, but it will be different than the first smile

Here is one resource:

http://www.freedeerstandplans.com/

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That budget sounds a little low to me for what you want. You might be able to do it for that if you just build a bare bones box and use a ladder. But if you want to use stairs and have it last for more than a few years you will have to spend a little more, unless of course you can get your materials really cheap. If your 10 feet in the air you wouldn't want to skimp on bracing and support.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Get one of these. It's portable. Paint it camo. Done.

[Linked Image]

I want one for jackrabbit shootin'. All I gotta do is win the lottery. Oh, wait, I gotta buy a ticket first.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Justin10mm ~ I think that a ladder will be sufficient. Don�t really want to mess with stairs. I am sure that I will be the one hauling all of the gear up and down anyway and then following each child or my wife up the ladder in case of a slip (they are all pretty small�including the wifey)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my blind at least 100 yards from the shooting area.
That's not bow friendly. Get a pop up for the bow.
Only hard part of building any box with windows and a door is the framing for these items. I just had a friend that was a retired contractor help. I was the go get this guy, he built.
Find one of these guys.
Neatest stand I ever saw and hunted out of was built on scaffolding. trap in the floor.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A quick search turned up this. Looks pretty good to me.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

here is a mobile blind

[Linked Image]

hunt from your camp

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I built a 4X8 on 16' 6 x's set 3' in the ground. All for under $400[including stairs]. Built my walls and roof on my carport as this stand is on a field edge where I could pull my truck to/under.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your budget is too low to build something nice that will last a long time. This is what my son built for his Eagle Scout project this summer. He made it for an Environmental Learning Center that also has public hunts:

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, these guys make a useful product, that makes it easier to connect the legs to a platform. They sell a compound angle version, that will improve the stability of the stand once all four legs are mounted. Cost is about $90. Sold at Home Depot and Gander Mountain.

http://www.elevatorsllc.com/

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They suck compared to these:

http://www.e-ztower.com/

See the picture above with them in use. More money but worth it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SoonerWing
I am looking to build an elevated hunting blind so that I can hopefully get my wife to join me on some hunts. I also have young boys so it will help in that regard as well. I think I want to do a 6x5 that I can also bow hunt out of. I am planning on elevating it 10� off the ground using 4x4 elevators. Does anyone have any good thoughts or plans that they can share. I have googled the crap out of this but have not really found anything that will get me from start to completion. I am not a carpenter so the simpler the better  I am looking to be able to build it for less than $500. I simply can�t afford one of the nice fiberglass stands. If you have any plans, thoughts, or can even just point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
I put together this stand from some plans I generated after looking at a pic or two of a stand PeteE, one of our members, hunted from in Scotland.

[Linked Image]

I put it together in my Implement Shed and then tipped it over into my old Chevy two-ton and hauled it to where I wanted it.

[Linked Image]

I then carefully used the hoist on the truck bed...

[Linked Image]

and caught it with my scoop and used the scoop to ease it down.

[Linked Image]

It did some very mild damage to the structure doing it this way, but was intact.

[Linked Image]

Later I nailed some tin siding/roofing to the roof so it wouldn't rot out. I have intended to take some camo paint down there and paint it, but it has held up pretty good thus far.

[Linked Image]

The tin covered the damage.

[img]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/kiddglock/2010206.jpg[/img]

That's one of the areas it covers, but it looks like the pic was taken from ground level and is blurry.

Hope this helps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We built this one several years ago.The big mistake IMO is going too small,I don't mean a condo but roomy enough for several occupants plus gear.Also wise to spend extra for minimum maintenance especially if it's in a remote area like this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like that one Woody.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.