-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looks like the bullet could be a real game-changer if it performs as advertised (expansion down to 1300 fps with high ballistic coefficients). Just wondering if anyone here has had an opportunity to test the bullets yet for expansion (in media or game) or for BC.

I'm most interested in the 6.5mm, but any data would be welcome.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Nosler Forum moderators indicate the first two Accubond LRs for release, the 150 grain .270 and 210 grain .308, should be released in late March.

Not a gunwriter!

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 01/31/13. Reason: Not a gunwriter
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I picked up 264, 7mm, 308, and 338 AccBond Bullets the other day and intend to use them....they should be the cat's whiskers...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't, but I think it's a good bet that Nosler has. Are they in the habit of putting out crappola and lying (excessively) about it?

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by macrabbit
I haven't, but I think it's a good bet that Nosler has. Are they in the habit of putting out crappola and lying (excessively) about it?

No - Nosler has a great reputation, so I expect that they have done extensive testing. However,

1. I've seen data indicating their advertised ballistic coefficients may be a little overly optimistic as a general rule (or possibly that they use the best, not average, BC for a given range of velocities).

2. Also, their advertised optimum impact velocity range for the new bullets of 1300 fps to "unlimited" max is VERY different than anything I've ever seen before. That would be a minimum impact velocity 500 to 600 fps below most every other rifle bullet on the market, including Nosler's hunting bullets.

If the new bullets do what Nosler says they can do, and are accurate (precise on target), the new bullets will be the new platinum standard for premium bullets for anybody who thinks they might shoot farther than 300 - 400 yards.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting link here on determining ballistic coefficient of bullets written by Bryan Litz, Ballistician for Berger.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/AccurateSpecificationsofBallisticCoefficients.pdf

I didn't realize prior to reading this how complicated determining BC of a bullet was. Seems like bullet makers have quite the task. And of course, then someone is unhappy when they shoot under "other than tested" conditions and get different numbers. I'm not defending bullet makers, but I believe, like velocities, they just report what they saw in the test.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure how many bullet makers actually test their published BCs - Berger does. I suspect most bullet/ammo manufacturers probably just use computer modeling software to estimate a range of BC values for a particular bullet, and then choose a BC value they will publish based on the range of values the software predicts. Obviously anybody wanting to shoot at extended ranges needs to test their drop data and correct for variations in BCs.

That said, I would hope that if Nosler is bringing out a bullet line they specifically advertise as being for "long range" that they would actually test the BCs for the production bullets and not just rely on a computer model. Would be even better if Nosler published more detailed BC data (like Litz's data) for various velocities for their upcoming "long range" Accubonds rather than just one value that isn't referenced to any particular velocity - I'm thinking at least three BC values referenced to three separate velocities spaced well over a range of typical velocities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I consider it likely that Nosler performed far more tests, and under more controlled circumstances, than any who respond to your question.
I'd trust their info, less a grain of salt due to overexuberant marketers, above any anecdotal responses.
Once MBAs take over at the company, all bets are off!

But it all makes for campfire discussion, so continue...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In science one doesn't just blindly accept the data of the people who publish the first paper - other scientists verify the data. Verification is what I'm looking for (as a great American famously said, "Trust but verify.")

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
In science one doesn't just blindly accept the data of the people who publish the first paper - other scientists verify the data. Verification is what I'm looking for (as a great American famously said, "Trust but verify.")

If you look at JBM Ballistic software in the bullet selection you'll find the manufactures listed BC and some of the bullets also list the BC that Brian (Litz) has determined through actual testing. I'll ask Brian if he plans on testing the new Accubonds the next time I run into him...

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Not to highjack the thread, but this also makes me wonder if anyone's heard of plans to update the Nosler Reloading Manual?

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm thinking he's got to be planning on testing them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bryan and his dad are out to the Southwest Nationals till the 12th. I'll shoot him an email when they return...

A
A
AJ300MAG, Ever hear back fom em?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.