Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gosh guys, no respect at all for spam. Any of you ever try to eat the old Wilson bacon bars from backpacking days of old? I have a 20 year old bacon bar in the foil package that I carried as "emergency rations" in the bottom of my pack. I would not open that package now on a dare!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
substantial distinction:
<br>
<br>The Wilson bacon bar and other "survival" foods are designed to sustain life in emergency situations, without taste-enjoyment considered at all. Spam is supposed to be home-and-family food, presumably enjoyable by ordinary mortals.
<br>
<br>I first heard this distinction when a mountain-climber friend in Alaska answered another friend's question about how mountain climbers could be warm in such light sleeping-bags in the subzero cold of Mt McKinley's permanent snow fields. He answered that the bags were designed (and included in their gear) "to keep you alive, not to make you comfortable."
<br>
<br>The bacon and other meat bars I've eaten in Montana and Alaska were definitely not flavor delights. I only wonder how near death I'd have to be before I'd eat another one.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the survival foods that I have sampled such as the Wilson bars, tropical chocolate, and the God awful cheese that came in a tooth paste tube were designed to be eaten when all hope was gone and you had just as soon the food killed you as the weather.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spam jelly on boots ... You can eat them???? Where do you find that big bread?? Is it the same place you find those big papers to "smoke" a turkey???

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thats got to be somebody's cruel joke...cheese in a squeeze-tube? Why not just use a cyanide pill?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spike it was just about as bad as you imagine. Late fifties or early sixties some time along in there. Came in a metal tube as it was before plastics were commomplace. Came from Germany or Scandanivia I think. Big soft metal tube. You unscrewed the cap and some sort of oily goo came out and when you squeezed the stuff a pale yellow gunk like johnson's wax curled out. Smelled like burnt lube. Tasted like hell. Was promoted as a trail/ emergency food and ideal for bomb shelters. I hope some other old pharts will chime in and say they remember it too so you won't think I am bs'ing you.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken, you would have to be on your last breath to open the bacon bar I've been totin around for the last 20 plus years. [Linked Image][Linked Image] Have you ever "enjoyed" the big mint bars? They might keep you alive too.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, tooth paste cheese. In the winter you put it in your under shorts to warm it up so you could squeeze it out of the tube. Just squeeze the greese out first before you put it on your bagel. But the new squeze cheese in the plastic packets is good stuff.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would bet that you have had or at least know about hogs head cheese? Spam isn't so bad next to that. Sort of the same stuff now that I think about it.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PDS, I'm glad somebody else remembered the cheese. I know your post wasn't to me but I know hog head cheese or souse as it is also called and I think the folks in Pennsylvania call it scrapple but it is all more or less the same thing. I will agree that most of the commercial stuff isn't too good as there is too much gelitan (sp) and not enough meat and spice. Home made where you can get enough red pepper and vinegar in it is good. You have to season it up the same way you like your sausage.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you talking about "Spiced Pork Aspic Loaf"? When I was doing catering in a big way I couldn't give head cheese hors d�oeuvres away. Named them as above and sold a ton at $6.50 a dozen. [Linked Image]

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I think enclosed in a large garbage bag tightly sealed, is a good start. Then, if you are a city dweller, you place it on the curb and watch carefully to be sure that the garbage collectors pick it up before it frees itself and sneaks back into your garage. If you live in the country, think Joan of Arc........

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Boggy, feel free to chime in any time. I spend way too much time talking to myself..... I have had more than one "cheese" sandwich when I was a kid. I liked it browned in the iorn skillet and slaped between two slices of bread. When we raised hogs we eat everything but the tail and the squeel. Spam isn't so bad if you were raised on those vittles.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lets see, sliced and fried with eggs, chopped and put in omlets, sliced and fried on Roman Meal bread w/mustard, diced and put in mac & cheese, diced and mixed with pork and beans, Ad infinitum. can you tell I like the stuff?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm really surprised!
<br>
<br>In all these posts, I still haven't seen any mention of Tennessee Mountain Spam --
<br>
<br>-- which is with a fifth of Jack Daniel (green or black label) and a very lean hound --
<br>
<br>-- the latter to eat the Spam, of course.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken, I leave it to you to come up with the funnies. ROTFLMAO!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (2alphas2, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 36 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,952
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.