Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Applied for and got tags - again! - for area 9 lopes. Planned last year for first time trip from PA with my Dad (age 73) and daughter (age 15). Late Aug. last year on the very same day my Dad fell down his porch steps and broke his wrist / cracked 3 ribs and my daughter blew out her knee requiring surgery. Needless to say, our trip went on hold. We're back at it again with tags in hand. We're happy to chase critters on open ground and have done some homework but I'd also be happy to pay a reasonable trespass fee to get my Dad in particular some easier access in that his mobility is pretty limited. We each have a buck and two doe/fawn tags and would be happy to shoot some does. Definately not trophy hunting, just a fun 3 generations hunt while my Dad still can. Respectful hunters who you can count on treating anywhere we have permission to hunt on as if it were our own. We'll be staying in Lusk and hunting the first week of the season. Any assistance or contacts we might pursue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chuck.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wish I could help out but never been in that unit or that far east. Hopefully someone will chime in with some help.
Good luck to you & I hope you have a fun & successful hunt!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks. I'm sure we'll figure it out and have fun. I'd just feel better knowing I had some access with less rather than more walking for my Dad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call the game warden at Lusk. He can give you some pointers.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'll do that - Thanks.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Grab up appropriate BLM maps & order a walk-in "Block Management" flier from F&G. In addition to the warden, call and talk w/ the biologist.

Chambers of commerce can be helpful in getting a landowner list for those willing to let you hunt for a fee. Ask warden about that, too.

C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the suggestions. I got a list from the chamber of commerce last year and made some calls. Had a few potential spots that I need to follow up with for this year. Like I said, I'm sure we'll do OK just thought maybe someone here would be local and have a lead particularly in regard to drivability for access. I'm all over the walk ins - the farther the better - but my Dad can't do that.

What's the possibility of putting him in a blind somewhere and doing some walking myself with the intent of putting critters by him. Never hunted there or this type of country before so I'm not sure what to expect we can do. We're PA deer hunters that are accustomed to thick cover and short sight distances.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ckr

What's the possibility of putting him in a blind somewhere and doing some walking myself with the intent of putting critters by him.

Slim to none. You might be able to find a water hole that he could set up nearby, but if you're hunting the walkin areas there'll be a ton of other hunters there as well, especially if you're hunting the first week of the season. If you can access some private land setting up a blind may be a little more productive.
Antelope aren't really creatures of habit, and during the hunting season the rut is on so they get just a little dingier than they normally are, plus all the pressure they get keeps them bouncing around quite a bit.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ranch - thanks for the reply on blind idea. My thought was that critters would be bumped around and having him sit tight somewhere could eventually put something past him. Beats sitting in the truck if he's done walking for the day was what I was thinking. Having never seen or hunted this type of country before I'm sure my "thoughts" and reality are somewhat differing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ckr, this is wide open country. Antelope go when, where and why they dang well feel like, so unless a person finds a pass between to basins or the like that they frequently travel it's unlikely sitting in one spot that's not near a water hole, will ever get you a shot. Plus the little buggers have about the equivilant of 7x35 binos for eyeballs, they're going to pick up on a blind all of a sudden being someplace there's never been one for the last 150 years.
I had a fella from backeast came here archery hunting once. He set his blind near a place they crossed the fence coming from the fields to the water in a pasture. He sat in that blind for 5 days and never knocked an arrow, or even got a goat close enough he could of got it with a rifle...

www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks a bunch. Think we'll scrap that idea unless we're forunate enough to stumble into some private property with one of those water holes. I do appreciate the experienced advise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck on your hunt. I had occasion to travel thru that area today, and they've had good moisture and the grass is looking strong and the antelope look pretty fat.
You should have a pretty good hunt, there's a lot of walk in, state and federal land in that area.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ckr -

Was up there (#9) looking last weekend as Daughter #1 and I will be picking up leftover doe tags.

Talked to a couple ranchers and will have access to their land, no trespass fees for does.

Good luck on your hunt.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm hoping we can find something like that. Pretty tough to do any actual scouting from across the country but my plan is to work on some contacts and land in town a day early so we can get our bearings and maybe knock on a door or two.

Good luck to you and your Daughter. I'll be travelling with Daughter #2. #1 will unfortunately be plugging away at college and is a little perturbed that she's not going as well.

C
ckr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Getting closer. Just thought I'd bump it to the top one last time.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bump this up. Anyone have any reports from Area #9 so far. Heading that way next week and curious what to expect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Expect a lot of mud, we could get as much as 18 inches of snow thru tomorrow night.

www.historicshooting.com
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That doesn't sound ideal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well we spent 36 hours in the camper. We dug out this morning and had 24" on the level. Luckily my friend used his tractor to open up the road. Some areas blown clean some 6 feet deep. Roads were all closed this morning. Most seem to be open now. Heavy wet snow and lots of wind. First blizzard in October since 10/14/84. Lots of surprised hunters laugh My trailer is still out there....getting the truck out was bad enough.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Well we spent 36 hours in the camper. We dug out this morning and had 24" on the level. Luckily my friend used his tractor to open up the road. Some areas blown clean some 6 feet deep. Roads were all closed this morning. Most seem to be open now. Heavy wet snow and lots of wind. First blizzard in October since 10/14/84. Lots of surprised hunters laugh My trailer is still out there....getting the truck out was bad enough.

I had a great time at camp, but I'm glad I headed home when I did. Started snowing a few hours after I got home. Ended up with 34". Third day without power. Roads still not plowed. No travel allowed yet. Bitch of a storm!!! And I'm missing out on free birthday meals today. Bummer!

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,146
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.