Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not trying to change minds or anything, I really dont care what a guy uses. But some of these arguments are pretty silly.

Bw, a little secret most turret twisters keep smirk Most of us along with the turrets use an MOA or MIL reticle, and believe it or not we know where to put those marks at certain ranges (this was just demonstrated to you, with pictures and all), sounds a lot like the way you do things eh? The more practiced among us can even use that reticle to get a pretty good range on critters if there is an LRF break down.

Some also seem think that since we have a turret on top that we MUST dial in for every shot, why some think that i have no idea..It isnt like we forgot how to use MPBR, Most of us can manage min of deer out to 400 or so without touching a damned thing, not using anything but the center crosshair , just like in the old days..

Simply put for the guys that like turrets is there is no downside.Or "farting around" as you would put it.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Same can be said of turret twisters rosco. I have a couple of the CDS systems. Even though they may have a 200 yard zero, I set the dial on 265'ish (MPBR) so I'm good out to 340. As I said before, I can see the duplex reticle easier than a bunch of thin wires and dots in poor light/poor background, which is why I personally like the CDS dials and not ballistic reticles.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's kinda what I was saying.. I probly didn't communicate it very clearly tho.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Options and being able to do it all, is never a downside...

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
All you turret turners, I'm curious to hear which scopes as what model of scope you use.

So far I've assumed that expose target turrets that are not capped, zero stops ect would be highly desirable for turret turners among us. Yet I don't find them on many scopes.

So?? Do you just take the caps off and dial?

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Formidilosus, what scopes do you like on your LR big game rigs?

These are what I'm playing with this week.

[Linked Image]

2x Bushnell 2.5-21x HDMR'S with H59 reticle
1x Nightforce F1
1x Nightforce 2.5-10x
1x SWFA SA 3-9x

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by BWalker
For some one that knows it all you sure are slow on the trigger.
Run a similar test and be honest with the results. I know, I for one, would be interested in comparing your times to his.

I planned to, if nothing else for my own curiosity.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Run a similar test and be honest with the results. I know, I for one, would be interested in comparing your times to his.

Good deal, looking forward to the report.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Sweet.

I started it just like hunting. Rangefinder around my neck, rifle in hand with scope set to 3x and turrets set to 100 yard zero or in the case of using the reticle like a BDC, turret was set to 200 yards. I used a shot timer (CED 7000) set to random delay, and on the buzzer dropped to prone, ranged the target, turned the power up to 9x and if using the turrets dialed the range. 1 shot per target. No oopsies or alibis.

It can be shot faster however, there will be more misses. That 20 second range is right about the limit for good hits.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
This has been a highly educational thread.

I made a decision today on a scope and I'm happy with it. Like most of you, the reality is that I will probably try both methods at some point and decide for myself which is right for me.

This time around, for my Cooper 280AI, I found a dealer here in Canada with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x with Ballistic Turrets and a 4W reticle. I got a good price on it for Canada and decided to go ahead with it. Should be in the mail soon.

I was weighing it against my second choice, the Leica ER 3-14x with target (AVS) turrets and the IBR reticle; this scope seems to be the best of both worlds allowing you to holdover or dial the turret.

However, I decided in favour of the Swaro as a result of their amazing customer service.

My dealer helped immensely in making the decision. If you are in Canada and looking for high quality optics, reach out to Omer at PlainSight Solutions. You can find his contact info on the CGN forums or PM me. Super nice guy. Took a good 20 min on the phone with me.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Oh and today I FINALLY got to see the Swaro BRH reticle. I have to admit it is VERY nice reticle and not to cluttered. I think I could easily see myself using it for a holdover. If they offered the BRH with the BT, I'd get that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After you spin your turret and ring a gong/smack flesh for the first time you will never question your decision.

Tanner

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It never even dawned on me to actually uses a scopes abilities to my favor until I stumbled across this site and read posts from Big Stick and Steelhead. One single point of aim certainly does make things simple. Turn the turret to a number and rock on.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Simple works pretty good for me too. I like it that way.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 257Bob, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 204guy, 54 invisible), 14,796 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,143
Posts18,542,499
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.