Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any tips? Methods? etc

I'm curious about how to pin down where mature bucks hang out.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wait to see where the neighbors encroach with their stands.

Then I tell them to move it or lose it, and hunt that spot.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not the best at it by a long shot. In northern MN, I look for food first. Then I look for sign, then I get onto the nastiest areas in the sign. I'm mean nasty. Some shots are at 5-10 yards. I think of the two trully mature bucks I've shot, there was some luck. However, it was the rut, I was in their bedroom, and they both came to a bleat call.

Food and does are what you need to find, then search the "outskirts" for rubs, scrapes, big tracks/beds, and pinch points, is what I do.

Camp is where you make it.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Do you have a particular season or hunting method in mind?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Type of deer? I could give a long answer on Muledeer. A short over view: I use other tags to learn an area, Then use that info to hunt. For example I will draw an easy to get Elk tag in a hard to draw muledeer tag area. Then As I hunt Elk I mark my deer scouting map with hunt plans, Starting spots, Hunt tactics. Mark all the water and learn how the deer use it. Try to determine travel paths and choke points. I'll mark bedding areas and why/when they are using it. I'll view the area on Google earth and Bing birdseye view for hidden basins etc.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Find the thickest, nastiest stuff on the property and hunt the edge of it

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tzone

Food and does are what you need to find, then search the "outskirts" for rubs, scrapes, big tracks/beds, and pinch points, is what I do.

YEP, this ^^^

**Normally** in southern Ark by the time the rut gets going the acorns are gone and the deer are back to browse.

I don't USE feeders or bait.

I ALWAYS hunt the does and the bucks WILL COME !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pre scout via google earth

Check out possible area on foot

Check for sign

Find food and water source

Find bedding areas, or likely bedding areas

Find travel routes

Look for thick cover nearby

Find an area to overlook where prevalent wind will be in your favor

Plot out collected data via google earth. Sort of a double check process, plus seeing everything you find in one viewpoint is valuable data.

Hopefully this works

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tall Muck boots and take off walking mid day into where you suspect
deer might be

dont touch a damn thing, dont smoke, dont leave a trail of poptart crumbs,
etc

check likely food sources, then check for scat in and amongst those same
areas

check for nipped off vegetation, crushed-split acorn hulls,

thick overgrown always doesnt always belie a
default bedding area.(that may change with increased hunt pressure). I've got
multiple deer beds under white oaks,
they are just quartering there, eating acorns, makin dooky and sleepin all in the same place

terrain in conjuction with all above items is important. Unstressed whitetails are lazy, they will maintain daily trail traffic at the same contour. They dont like crossing contour elevation intervals in a perpendicular pattern. Except for escape routes

otherwise they will cross ridgelines at passes, breaks, saddles or lesser sloped approaches. additionally check for geographical or manmade features the exclude easy passage, narrow routes or constrictive passages like bluffs or open areas. tree lined fence rows between two fields with thick harborages on either end like what i call an hour-glass funnel are great. look for trails in these areas, preferrably a well beaten path

dont let lack of sign now in likely deer habitat discourage you, signs and traffic may switch on overdrive in simply two weeks time as day get shorter and deer be gettin their nite time freak on

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like bing maps for somewhat open areas but I'm finding that the pics I get in my area are with leaf cover on the trees or I'm in pine country and you can't see the pinch points as well.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dont scout with a 4wheeler, souped up golf cart, razor,
mule, gaytor, etc

this will just telegraph your intentions to deer for several acres. and
if its a ranch and you ride all day anyway to fondle your
bovine vulvas, blah blah blah

then by all means just top off your automatic deer/impala feeder and GFY

just walk,
it's good for you

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Unless it is a brand new area to me I only scout on my way in to hunt or on my way out from hunting. I do my best to only be in the woods when I can hunt.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pine thickets, find where oaks and pine meet. Find scrapes near thickets and hunt them in the afternoon til dark and right after rain stops. They 'll stick their nose out...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From everyone's input I think you are on the right path. With the work you've put in via the maps and the legwork we did last Saturday I am feeling very good about what we found.

Looking forward to going back in, finishing those areas up and checking out the other, larger valley.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a tip for y'all based on years of hunting whitetails in the Trans-Bluegrass of Kentucky
Briar Archeology

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
dont scout with a 4wheeler, souped up golf cart, razor,
mule, gaytor, etc

this will just telegraph your intentions to deer for several acres. and
if its a ranch and you ride all day anyway to fondle your
bovine vulvas, blah blah blah

then by all means just top off your automatic deer/impala feeder and GFY

just walk,
it's good for you

Some son-of-a-gun has been riding his 4-wheeler past the locked Forest Service gate into what's been a walk-in only hunting area for years. Tracks all over the place, and yesterday I saw the machine parked high up on the mountain way above me. I've been walking in there to hunt mulies for years. Didn't see a single deer yesterday, not even a doe. Doggone it!

Now maybe I shouldn't blame the guy who illegally rode in there on his 4-wheeler, but I think I will anyway. grin

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hunting public land again this year, so I look for the land that is not easily accessible and people pass up. I found a corn field that is shape like a square. 1 side is private/posted land. The rest joins up to a public shooting range. I plan on sitting on the corner near the private land, looking into the standing corn. There is a small creek that follows closely to the road so water, food, and thick cover.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, that really sounds pretty accessible to me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Topo maps are your friend. When I did the public land thing, I usually had a REALLY good idea of where I wanted to go before I got within 100 miles of the land.

Now, it is more of a "check to make sure the deer highways didn't get moved during the summer" kind of thing. Don't touch anything, and find the scrapes/rubs.

Now, with where I hunt, I spend more time figuring out where to put my stand than anything else. I want somewhere I can get to in the dark, quietly, without going across any of the deer "highways" on the property.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Food and water sources. We use several trail cameras to check things out and then move them over active scrapes as the season gets closer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 3,390 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.