Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hung my climber in a new area bout 2 weeks ago and hunted it once. Its in a saddle near the end of a steep ridge. Saw a few big doe (missed one mad) and saw a couple small bucks, killed a big coyote right after I missed the doe. When the rain moved out on Wednesday I had a good feeling. I had high hopes of whacking a big nanny to get things started off right and get some fresh steaks for the grill grin . I'm more of a meat hunter these days.

I'm sitting in the stand and see a few good sized doe bout 60 yards down the steep side. A few minutes later a button buck and rag horn pass thru. A little later the button buck comes back digging around in the leaves, gathering acorns that the squirrels just buried then he wanders off... THEN about 10 minutes later I hear him very close behind me. He stops about 20 feet behind me and I hear his droppings hitting the leaves as he takes a BIG DUMP under my tree.

I kinda started laughing out loud and turn around to look and all I see is a set of thick chocolate antlers. AAHHHHH! My heart shifts into overdrive and my anal muscles are severely puckered
eek Then as fast as he shows up, he turns and walks away. I wanted to puke! Thinking I'll never see him again. A few minutes later he shows up again.

He steps behind a couple of bushy hickory trees and I have an opening about the size of a grapefruit to shoot thru. He kept turning in circles picking up buried acorns. I came to full draw 3 times and had to let down each time. By now I'm a friggin' train wreck!!! THEN he makes a fatal mistake and steps back in the tiny opening. I knew it was time to get my act together and make this happen. I said a prayer, settled in with the pin and sent the shaft thru the little opening in the tree tops. He was 18 yards and pretty much broad side. All I saw was a blitz of the arrow, and the sound of a meat lick. He left like he had been shot out of a cannon. He ran about 50 yards and slams on the brakes. I never heard another sound. I was very confident that it was a well placed shot but I didn't want to booger him and send him into the next county. Right before dark I hear a huge crash of a dead tree falling over close to where my buck had ran. Now I'm thinking this is just what I need, a lot of noise to scare him away. I stayed in my climber til well after dark then climbed down and went home.

LONGEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!!!!!

I get back the next morning and walk to where he was standing. No arrow.... Is this good or bad.... Its not stuck in a tree or in the ground, so I'm feeling better. I head down the steep side and see a white belly. YES! Now its just a bitch to get him out but I signed up for it and its all worth it wink

Come to find out that the "Tree Falling Sound" was the buck doing kart wheels down the hillside. He stood right where I heard him stop and died on his feet. Then he bounced about 75 yards and slid into a clump of saplings on the slope. Damn good thing that I didn't go looking for him!!

AND while I was getting him out, I plopped down in the leaves to catch my breath and laying beside me is the whole complete arrow and broad head. Looks just like new except its coated in red juice.

I'm a happy camper BUT still want to get a big fat nanny with my bow...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story and awesome-looking dark horned buck! I'll take mass over width/height anyday.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks J, I've taken a couple other good bucks about a half mile away from this guy. They have the same exact heavy tall racks. Dark chocolate horns and all.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That is a NICE buck....would love to get something like that this fall...congrats!!

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man another year or two and he really would have been a bruiser.

Nice deer, good story.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like thick Dark Chocolate Racks...on Deer of coarse.

Congrats, I'd never been able to wait till morning...good for you gunnut308!

Last edited by slg888; 10/18/13.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Awesome! Nice buck!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a dandy buck, congrats!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congrats! How many inches around are them bases?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a really neat looking buck - congrats on a fine trophy!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Love that mass. Great buck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy Cow! Great buck!

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roger texted me a picture of this buck yesterday. I've been showing to folks all day. I love this deer. Awesome deal, Roger!

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great buck and great story. Thanks for sharing.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great Buck, great story & love the pic spread.

Congratulations.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow. What a deer. Congrats

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Darned nice Arkansas mountain buck! Congratulations!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Fantastic buck!! Good going, thanks for the story.

Golden............
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That is a cool one - gongrats! Couldn't have waited 'till morning either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.