-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I keep pretty stiff tension on my trap pans to keep the foxes and other riff-raff out of my sets. Flat sets seem to be most productive, but I do more dirt holes than anything, just because it requires less hardware.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last year was my first year trapping yotes, but I had my best luck setting traps around a deer carcass.

I found a deer that had been hit and moved it to a spot in 5 yr. cutover. Placed traps at the hams (first place they will eat) and between the front and back legs. Caught 3 yotes at that deer. Probably could have caught more, but I had to take up my traps and the yotes ate the deer.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No doubt is a good catch set, but is illegal in many states. Traps beside sight exposed bait are prone to catch birds of prey,therefor most states do not allow it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
3lb's is what you need to keep short game out.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I keep pretty stiff tension on my trap pans to keep the foxes and other riff-raff out of my sets. Flat sets seem to be most productive, but I do more dirt holes than anything, just because it requires less hardware.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brinky72
I've had some luck getting coyotes with a scent post set. Most of my sets have been on field edges and old roads/trails where they frequent. Scent control of course has been priority #1. Just looking for some knowledge on trapping coyotes from some experienced folks.

My dirt hole Cat sets catch Coyotes like a charm.
I REALLY don't want to catch Coyotes so I stink up the place something terrible and choke the trap down with guide sticks until Helen Keller could tell it was man made.
Can't keep Coyotes out of the dam things:(

BTW,,, Topstock's spot on. Check your regs on exposed bait.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 11/23/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know it might be wrong, but FieldGrade, I've been laughing for a couple of days while setting traps thinking about your Helen Keller comment when putting up guide sticks. I found a Trench Set works for me, when other trappers are in the area. I dig out a small trench, then connect it with another, coming from the top down. At the very top I dig a small lure hole(no bait) then put a trap at both ends of the trench. Make sure to have big backing, and keep trench about 10-12 inches away from lure hole. On the point (does not matter right or left side), I like to put a chunk of fur, or a wing from doves I shot in the fall.. Place a food lure in the hole, and a gland lure or urine outside the hole. They just have to check it out. I think the biggest thing, is having traps where coyotes are. Location, as with everything else is the most important key to success. I like junctions where quad roads and field edges, intersect crops edges. The more spokes to the hub the better. That's what works for me. I may throw a dirthole or post set also, but location is the key.

Last edited by Nilwod; 11/28/13.

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Great info guys, I truly appreciate it. I have set traps around carcasses before with great success. I will contact the DNRE to see if it's frowned on though. I normally set traps just to keep the riff raff numbers down so I don't mind the coons, possum and other trash that may meet their demise in my traps. After the recent snow I have found fresh tracks on the field edge showing a pack of three working the area and one loner that is significantly larger but not large enough to be a wolf. It wouldn't be a stray dog either as no one leaves their dogs loose in this area during firearm deer season. Thanks again as I will be hammering on the trap line now along with the late season bow hunting with some calling thrown in and some bunny hunting. I'll post anything worth mentioning and maybe put up a pic if it's good enough. That would require me figuring out the camera do hicky and how to post on here though.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All my yotes sets have caught this week has been nosy deer, lol. I bet this guy jumped a mile high when he stepped on this BMI.

[Linked Image]

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hilarious and great pic.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,352
Posts18,506,261
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.