Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have been told, bear lard makes the best pie crust.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was it killed over there next to your place?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Was it killed over there next to your place?

Yes probably less that 2 miles.... Chris is the son-in-law of a local Minister..... As a result he gets permission to hunt land little old ladies own that NOBOBY else gets to hunt.... He shot a big 10 point last year on a property adjoining my land .....

I have to say that I admire the boy's initiative in working that angle for all it is worth though....

Please don't feed the trolls!
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://furfishgame.com/store/thebookmarket.html

Just finished the first chapter of Loaded For Bear...... The style and tone reminded me of a series of outdoor stories from the depression era up through the end of WW II that Fur Fish And Game had started republishing. The Adventures of Lew and Charlie by Mauries Decker.... When I was a kid I started reading those stories.....and then Kept buying FFG.... Had zero interest in the trapping focus much of the magazine had but FFG has exclusive rights to the series....

FFG has just released a collection of the earliest "Adventures of Lew and Charlie".... Decker's work isn't "Important literature" along the lines of Faulkner or Hemmingway but it sure is fun hook and bullet adventure writing from a earller era....

I know, totally not cooking related.... But I was so pleased to discover that FFG finally released some of this kind of pulpy but fun stuff in book form that I just thought I'd sharewink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Please report on the rendering. I've not done that as spring bears are pretty lean.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will do..... I woke up this morning to find the kitchen counter covered in fresh freezer paper with the knives and cutting board set out..... I took that as a reminder of my current "Honey do" list.....

Got about 2/3 of a small deer that has been aging... it needs to be cut and wrapped as well..... This is going to be a second pot of coffee day..... Think I will pick out an Audible novel to listen to..... The final deboning trim and wrap process take us the longest.... But I am also sure our meat turns out better that most venison butchers process for a fee.....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
2ndwind: I broke down and bought a caser this year, one of the hand crank 20 pound capacity ones from Lem. It makes stuffing really easy, and is a lot easier to clean up after than a grinder.
But as someone pointed out, you don't need to case sausage to enjoy it. We've eaten a lot of Brat patties....they taste just as good as a cased sausage.

Need one more thing to do with sausage? We made a pot of split pea soup and browned some Kitchen Kounter Kielbasa (page 76 in Sausage Season) to flavor it up. (1 pound bag of dry split peas and about 6-7 cups water in a crock pot; then add one onion browned with 2 pounds of sausage; let it cook 2 hours on high to get the temp up to a safe level, then 3-4 hours until the peas are mushy.)It was wonderful, a real treat to come home to after hunting.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will do..... I woke up this morning to find the kitchen counter covered in fresh freezer paper with the knives and cutting board set out..... I took that as a reminder of my current "Honey do" list.....

Good to see Jayne about has you trained grin

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah she does..... Think I told you about our first date when she looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'm a doctor..... I know how to help people and I know how to really hurt them too".... Next Month will be 16 years that we have been married ...... Apparently I have managed passing grades so far....

I think I also told you about asking her to marry me only a few Months before deer season..... After a long pause ( had me sweating buckets...) she said yes and then wanted to know when..... I started out with, "Well deer season is coming up I would want to wait until after that before going away on a honeymoon......

When she told me she had taken the hunters safety class as a school activity when she was 14..... And knew where the paper was.... that she would like to start hunting too, I just figured it was the love talking..... She is a big animal lover.... I Never thought she would start shooting critters..... Apparently my venison cooking had won her over though.....

I took her up on the wedding sooner rather that post deer season offer. When a deer came out into a field I told her not to shoot it if it was going to make her feel bad..... Her reply was, "Ha.... It's lasagna!" Southern women.... They are fun . I think she has shot at least one deer every year since.

When she has time she is a really good cook too.... Maybe after all these years that she has been reading the campfire and keeping up with PMs ( I had to ask Les to not send anymore naked mountain woman pictures).... She will decide to get her own screen name and start posting here in the cooking section..... hint.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Yeah she does..... Think I told you about our first date when she looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'm a doctor..... I know how to help people and I know how to really hurt them too".... Next Month will be 16 years that we have been married ...... Apparently I have managed passing grades so far....

I think I also told you about asking her to marry me only a few Months before deer season..... After a long pause ( had me sweating buckets...) she said yes and then wanted to know when..... I started out with, "Well deer season is coming up I would want to wait until after that before going away on a honeymoon......

When she told me she had taken the hunters safety class as a school activity when she was 14..... And knew where the paper was.... that she would like to start hunting too, I just figured it was the love talking..... She is a big animal lover.... I Never thought she would start shooting critters..... Apparently my venison cooking had won her over though.....

I took her up on the wedding sooner rather that post deer season offer. When a deer came out into a field I told her not to shoot it if it was going to make her feel bad..... Her reply was, "Ha.... It's lasagna!" Southern women.... They are fun . I think she has shot at least one deer every year since.

When she has time she is a really good cook too.... Maybe after all these years that she has been reading the campfire and keeping up with PMs ( I had to ask Les to not send anymore naked mountain woman pictures).... She will decide to get her own screen name and start posting here in the cooking section..... hint.....

You definitely won the wife lottery with Jayne.

IC B3

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that is what my Ham Radio buddies think too.... There are not a bunch of couples that both get licensed ..... We passed the Tech and General class tests at the same time..... We had bought the study guide for the Extra Class license..... The question pool was expiring at the end of last June.... She thought we could learn it in time (Maybe 10% of Hams ever get the Extra Class) She passed pretty much with flying colors and I missed a passing score by one..... As a result she can now pass me as third party traffic in the highly desirable extra class portion of the bands...... Which means that I have been made sport of by other Hams literally around the World.....

In other news after I told her that you were posting on this thread she got a big smile..... For some strange reason she seems to like you.... She had registered for a screen name years ago.... Can't remember what it was though.... Thinks it might have had the "Wind" family worked in some how.... So we will either find that one or she will reregister..... You are just that charming of a guy HBB....

Back to cooking.... Made some progress trimming the fat today..... Took a break and when I came back the fat had warmed .... No way to separate the meat and grunge from the good stuff unless it's cold..... Think I will put the untrimmed stuff in the freezer for a bit tomorrow .... Guessing I have an easy 15 pounds that still needs trimming..... I am going to put in a request for a blueberry pie first.... Kind of in honor to the bear....

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

John's 2nd hunting mentor, Ben Burshia didn't hunt bears, but if someone had a bear down, he'd take all the fat they'd give him. Then he'd render it down and he and his wife Agnes would make the flakiest pie crusts you ever tasted. (They were also delicate tasting.) I have heard from several people that homemade donuts made with bear fat are the best ever

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I finished up trimming all the meat and gunk away from the best looking fat.... May have been overly trim happy..... Only about 1/2 of a gallon sized zip lock bag of the best looking fat left to render..... Jayne will be off from work from next Wednesday through the weekend..... Will report the results on the blueberry pie.... Maybe a sweet potato pie too.... All in the name of cullinary research.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had Bear meat prepared only one way. I took a 250lb bear that had a main diet of acorns and grasses to my butcher and had him turn it all into hard salami mixed with pork fat. My 8yr old son devoured 10lbs of it with cheese and crackers. much better than what is sold in the stores today.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How much salami did you get in total?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
..... Will report the results on the blueberry pie.... Maybe a sweet potato pie too.... All in the name of cullinary research.....

Atta boy! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a friend that loves bear meat. he cooks roast in a slower cooker with 1lb of beef burger,then adds a big can of bushes baked beans an hour before serving. it ain't bad.younger the bear the better eating.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Need a pie update!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Need a pie update!

Yeah Man!

Sean
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I gave up trying to find the old camping stove.... Was concerned about stinking up the house during the rendering process..... Turns out that with this bear it is not a problem....I can smell it but it is a "gee that makes me hungry" smell

.. We started out with maybe a 1/4 inch of water on the bottom of a heavy pot...... Hours ago..... Been 4 or 5 hours now on low heat.... It is maybe 1/2 liquid now..... I figured with that much of it in liquid form it was time to bump up the heat..... I was told to keep my mitts off the control knob..... Apparently it is suppost to take a long time.....

Picked up some lemoms to add to the frozen blueberrys...... Also grabbed a can of pumpkin for pie test number two.....

Got my copy of Sasuage Season..... Eileen calls for way more pork trimmings per pound of game meat that I have used before..... We will follow her lead on the test batches though..... Bear sweet Italian will be first up..... Stocked up on fresh spices today as well..... No luck finding sasuage casings locally so looks like I need to find some online.....

I tend to over cook sasuage patties due to the pork..... With cased sasuage it is easy to use a thermometer and stop at 160 degrees..... Looks like the good grade of sasuage stuffer is 400.00 or so..... That isn't happening this year..... We will work on our stuffing straight from the grinder skills this season.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 41 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,250
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.