Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
O45, aren't those refered to as the "hunter's compact"? I had one on my EW and preferred the bansner..

Hunter's Compact is with EDGE fill.

Not quite, it's the Hunter's Edge that has the edge fill. If you get the same stock in a normal fill it's just the compact. It's confusing as heck and I wish McMillan wouldn't have named them that way.

McMillan's M70 patterns are really outdated for the most part, about the only one I really like is the Hunter's Edge. The supergrade is tolerable. The Echols legend sure looks nice but I think I'd only be likely to put it on a big bore, it's dimensions are a little too big for my taste in a deer rifle.

Great post, I think I agree with you grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
The stock it came with, if Walnut, properly sealed and bedded would be my pick by a mile. Model 70 Classic and Featherweight stocks are both about perfect, once treated to some better bedding and sealing.

I totally agree, that is, if it came with a nice piece of walnut...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you can get a Hill Country Rifles stock pattern in mickey edge construction, then you'd have the perfect stock for a Winny sporter.

Other than that, Mickey needs a radical update of their Winny stocks. If you don't like the Compact (which I don't love it), then you're out of luck. The Legend is a bit fat for a lightweight rifle.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you can get a Hill Country Rifles stock pattern in mickey edge construction, then you'd have the perfect stock for a Winny sporter.

Other than that, Mickey needs a radical update of their Winny stocks. If you don't like the Compact (which I don't love it), then you're out of luck. The Legend is a bit fat for a lightweight rifle.

I could not agree more - and that is what I did with my 308 Classic/PacNor that is super close to a sporter contour:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

23" barrel and 2.5-8x36 aboard.

The grip is quite open and trim, but it really handles nicely and comes up like a well fitted bird gun to me.
Let me know if you would like any more specs.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is kinda like a "mini-Legend" in a lot of ways.

The other option would be to pay the $25 fitting fee and have them do a Sako Classic SA for a M70...

Here is one I had them do that on (only in LA):
[Linked Image]

It also had an awesome feel to it and classic, trim lines as well.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If McMillan is watching this, I'd like to suggest duplicating the current FN/South Carolina Safari Express pattern. It's generously proportioned in all the right places and seems to soak up heavy recoil very well.

The Compact Edge, Compact, Featherweight, and Super Grade seem to fill out the rest pretty well. If the Super Grade is a different shape than the current Winchester offering, they might update the pattern.

Also don't forget that the Sako Hunter pattern is new in the Win 70 lineup.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 10/29/13.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good call, Sako Hunter would be great too for the MC lovers.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Anybody know if the drop and thickness at the wrist of the compact is the same or similar to the featherweight? I like my featherweight micky just fine but would like the same dimensions without the schnabel forend if possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by philthygeezer

Also don't forget that the Sako Hunter pattern is new in the Win 70 lineup.

Thats what I have on order for mine...fits me so well, love the design

Rob
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just got my mcmillan a month ago. I ordered a mcswirly in the winchester hunter pattern for my stainless classic 7mag. I was going to go with a supergrade and my gunsmith convinced me to try the hunter pattern. It was kind of a big $600 leap of faith but I trust him. Now I couldn't be happier it is perfect love the cheek piece and palm swell.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The hunter pattern will be my next McMillan for a Winchester, no doubt. For me the supergrade was nothing special, and I like a cheekpiece. One of the reasons I have been playing with more 700s lately is that there are more stocks that fit me quite well. Unless I am trying hard to keep weight way down I actually prefer the model 70 action(s).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've said it before and I'll say it again,

The Hunter stock has enough good qualities/features that it puts the Hunter into a class of it's own, My favorite stock so far.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.