Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've heard of people 'developing' handloads which used combinations of components not recommended in published data, and then sending examples off to labs for pressure testing. What would a person even use as a staring point for such load development?
I have never departed from the recipes in published data, but do, from time to time, wonder about loads for which there seems to be no published data. I've also noticed that smokeless loading data from back in the paper-tube era often didn't specify hulls, primers, or brands of card wads.

Any thoughts? (That is, beyond reminding me not to depart from published data?)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When steel shot was mandated. No real useful data was available. People got together and shared what they where learning. Some website's in the early days, had secret reloading books forums. Where once the gang had vetted you for a while, you got the secret handshake and access to the process was opened up. Some of these guys had their own pressure test equipment or where using a couple commercial ballistic techs with the gear to pressure test the experimental loads. Much of what you see in todays steel shot reloading data started in these experiments. If you can fit it in a hull, someone tried it. Some of these loads are still being used and they have never been in a printed book. A good load is just that, Good. Reloaders with years of experience can and do alter load data to fit what they have on the shelf. If a load calls for a fed209a and there is not a fed209a in 500 miles to buy. Most would substitute another primer they can buy. Trap shooters are always substituting. But most of the base loads they are working off of are low pressure to start with. Clone wads with original wad data is a common substitution. So published data is altered often. My 20ga hunting load is an altered load. Instead of a fed209a I'm running a CCI209, instead of 18.5gr of long shot, I'm loading 18gr, instead of a waa20 I'm using a waa20 clone. One book might list part of this alteration but not all 3. I still feel completely safe shooting it. Because 2 of the alterations lower pressure.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I began loading shot shells I went only with published data. As I gained more knowledge, the substitutions came. Some times in search of that "better" load but most times because of what I had on hand. Baltz is correct, there are many "clone" and "OEM copy" wads currently produced. As these become popular I'm seeing the yearly publications including them. Mild primers such as CCI, Win, NS, Cheddite, Fio, Rem, etc... would likely test safe in loads were one in particular gave pressure data at 9000psi or less. In fact, the Hodgdon manual once said substituting Win and NS was fine. Alliant's manual also once said to use Clays data for their Clay Dot powders. Just to be clear, I am not recommending anyone stray from published data, I'm just relating what I have read and experienced.

I treat magnum primers such as Fed209's and CCI209M's differently and have never subbed them without published data. I will however use the copy/clone wads freely when using them.

I think Downrange has a nice chart out detailing wad substitutions. I have/had one at home. they are probably available online.

Labs are available that will pressure test loads for you. I have read many threads on other sites about the process and some of the results. It doesn't sound overly expensive or burdensome as I recall. Personally, I doubt I'll ever do it. There is plenty of useful data out there for my needs. I look at chrono data and pattern board then try them at the range. If I were to send off some test loads I suppose a starting point might be using something similar to published data not pushing pressure too hard (8-10000psi).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,425
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.