-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
legit,,,,,Joe Want had Halibut Bay and The Sturgeon River area's on Kodiak. I was there with him!

I tend to use more than enough gun
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by notlim

Phil Shoemaker- I realize he isn't boat based and I can't imagine that there is a better guy to go with than him but he isn't sure if he has any openings for next year.

If I was ever gonna hunt bear this would be the man i'd do it with!!!!!!!

N
notlim Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I haven't had a snowmobile for a few years- but grew up with them here in ontario- so never really thought of them as hard work... I bet you guys do it different in Alaska than we did here.

But you are right my buddy has a grand total of 2hrs on a snowmachine and I suspect it would kick the crap out of him. (now that I'm really thinking about it I think he flipped the sled in that 2 hrs...dohh crazy
He's a great guy and I am closer to him than my own father but athletic and coordinated are not words I ever use to describe him grin

Last edited by notlim; 10/31/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Waterrat
Yup, IIRC Paul Chervenak had the Uganik Bay area before Rohrer and they were forced to swap by the Feds. I bet you have a picture of a cub or two you killed down there, don't you? wink

Who are you bear guiding for these days?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sorry Waterrat, didn't mean to give out bad 411, coulda swore my pards that went this spring met with Joe to talk specifically about that area, and they may have, imagine Joe had some clue about it whether he ever actively hunted that area or not.

I'll have to ask the guys that went and met with Joe a couple of times before they embarked upon their hunt.

if you hunted with Joe, then you have a better idea as to what type character he is than most! lol, guessing you got to hear the 500 H&H holler a time or two?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

N
notlim Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
How about Greg Jennen "grizzinater"? glacier Mountain outfitters?

It seems like he shoots some pretty decent bears in PWS - he also seems very proud of his hunts $$wise.

Boat based, spring hunt.

Seems like they have a Chugach National Forests pecial use permit...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone ever been with Afognak Wilderness Lodge?

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Contact Sue Aiken at Kavik River Camp.

http://www.kavikrivercamp.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You seem sold on the boat based hunt so with that in mind, you might give this oufit a call and see what they have to offer you.

http://www.coastalalaskaadventures.com/

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another good one is Claude Bondy owner of the Alpine Creek Lodge
on the Denali Hwy West of Denali National Park.

http://alpinecreeklodge.com/

907-743-0565

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Notlim, I made it out yesterday evening and after looking at my books 9 ( which my wife had with her ) we are fully booked for next spring.
If you are interested in a fall hunt we still have openings for Oct of 15,
and contrary to what Scott270 was lead to believe, the majority of us on the peninsula with Federal area do no excessive flying, see little or no competition, nor have shorter hunts. I think he must have been referring to many of the guides who hunt state lands where there are basically no limits to how many hunters, camps or guides can be in an area.

there were a number of very good guides mentioned here, and quite a few dodgy ones as well, but if you are still looking at a boat based hunt Dale Adams would be one of my top recommendations.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neither to encourage nor discourage you...

[Linked Image]

...but if a 10-year-old can do it. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Change the angle of incline by a huge bunch of degrees and tell me how that 10-year-old is going to do on the 6th day of a 5-day hunt... wink

They do not make many 10-year-olds like you do! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Change the angle of incline by a huge bunch of degrees and tell me how that 10-year-old is going to do on the 6th day of a 5-day hunt... wink

That one there would (and does) get his ears fried just a little if he "parks" a machine on such inclines. (Therefore, no such pics. wink )

But I understand the thought here, and agree with the sentiments. I guess my suggestive photo op, other than the typical smartazz remarks suggested by it, is that it can be doable if you get with the right guys in the right place who understand the expectation. Of course it also helps if they convey the right info to the prospective client. And certainly it would help if the prospective client was willing to hit the gym for some specific back and shoulder strength exercises. Besides and in addition to getting stuck due to not knowing when to get on the gas and when not to, the muscles of the back and shoulders are going to get used and need to be in shape in order to ride 100 miles - give or take- in a day of hunting.

That kid in the pic rode, a couple of months later, 185 miles each on two consecutive days. My wife at mid-40s, tough, but not what you'd call fit and toned by any stretch, has ridden the same but also nearly 400 miles in a day. So I wouldn't necessarily discount the idea as long as there was full understanding between parties (hunter and guide).

Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting it is easy.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Notim, I am hunting in Sept 2014 with Justin Johns on Togiak refuge. I didn't set up the hunt but my 2 buddies were going and a spot opened up for me so I decided to go. He seem to have a great reputation and Phil says he is good at it. He has been very nice and informative with me.

The Togiak hunts seem a little more strenuous but he has hunts based out of a really nice fishing lodge with hot meals and showers every day on Wood River-Tik chik river state park plus he also has hunts on Admirality island which don't seem to be as bad either. Might want to check with him and see if he has anything.
Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as to Justin Johns, that dog can hunt, hunted for him and with him for more than a few years.

and he definitely has some hunts that would work for notlim's friend.

but they'd be fall hunts, I didn't do them, but pards did, basically you set up on a salmon spawning bed back in the brush, you have to be quiet and still for long periods of time. Not my cup of tea, I like spot and stalk and a month to 6 weeks was plenty long enough to be away from my then young family and our business.

Fishing Bear is a pretty skookum place, beautiful scenery on Lake Beverly right at the mouth of the Peace river.

So not only does he do the Togiak hunts where they take some very nice bears, but they take an occasional hog over those salmon spawning beds, where at the end of the day, depending upon where you actually get put to hunt, you go back to Fishing Bear Lodge for a good meal, possibly a hot shower if needed and sleep in one of the little guest cabins or a wall tent there.

It's called Fishing Bear for a reason, at night when you think you're hearing salmon jumping around by the shore spawning, often as not what you're actually hearing are bears swiping their paws down into the water to grab one of those salmon.

More than one guy has been surprised to bump into a fuzzy britches camper on the way to the outhouse at night!

it's actually a very good reco for the needs of notlim's friend.

course like anything, the better shape you're in, the better your odds of connecting, still hunting over salmon spawning beds is a pretty decent way for a guy of limited physical abilities to get an opportunity at a decent bear. Dress warm, and waterproof, take chem packs and make sure you can hit with your rifle and I can think a guy has decent odds of seeing a big bruin.

it's a danged good reco Ebby, makes me blush that I didn't think of it first!

hunting the refuge at Togiak has been known to take some hogs, and Justin certainly knows how to hunt that area.

best of luck to you and notlim

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he still does, Justin also hunts Admiralty Island in the spring, and there they often use little rafts to patrol the beaches.

worth a call to him I'm thinking

North Alaska Expeditions

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dennis Harms of Alaska Trophy Safaris has some good areas (Aliulik Penensula), and a copy of Lance Kronberger guides do guiding for Dennis on Kodiak.

Deltana hunts the Peninsula. I saw a video where a 60ish gentleman which two artificial knees took a 10'8" brownie.

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
My wife at mid-40s, tough, but not what you'd call fit and toned by any stretch, ...

Boy, are you in trouble....

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
My wife at mid-40s, tough, but not what you'd call fit and toned by any stretch, ...

Boy, are you in trouble....

Yeah sometimes self edit is the bomb....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.