Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinning out the gun case and adding a few nice wood stocked rifles. I'll be selling at least 6 and plan to get two nice rifles. I'm currently looking at the Kimber super America, the Cooper custom classic, and the nosler legacy rifle.

I find all three of these rifles appealing and like how they feel even though they each feel different. Not taking into account the price differences, what are the quality differences? I suppose I can get lucky and get one that shoots great or get a lemon, but which one is the best designed and highest quality rifle?

I do plan on one of the rifles being a cooper as I want a .250 savage, but thinking either a 7-08 super America or 7X57 legacy would be a nice addition. I need the guns to function as well as they look.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Get a Cooper m54 in 7mm-08.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not been overly impressed with the fit and feel of Nosler rifles. Other than that, I'd roll Cooper and Kimber.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nosler is a lot of money for what you get, you could build cheaper and better IMO.

Cooper is probably the best value but they are heavy but very accurate, make a great rifle for stand hunting or when you are not doing a ton of walking.

Kimber can be great, light and easy to pack. The only complaint that people have is the accuracy issue, although I have always had great luck with them and never had a bad one. YMMV

I'd rule out the Nosler, and say if you like to hike run a Kimber if you do a lot of still hunting then go with a cooper.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
At 6.5 pounds in a walnut stock, I would do not consider a Cooper m54 short actioned sporter "heavy".

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimbers are pretty and lightweight, but their stock does not fit me well and there's that accuracy gamble to consider. One of my favorites is the Weatherby MkV Deluxe lightweight. It is just about perfect in every way. I took mine in 30-06 caribou hunting and it performed flawlessly. The guide liked it. At one time they offered a MkV Sporter lightweight but that model is not in the current lineup.

Here's a link to the Deluxe: http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/deluxe

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A Cooper model 54 in .250 AI or 7MM/08 or a Montana in 7MM/08.
I have both the model 54 and Montana, two of my favourite rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I need the guns to function as well as they look.

7-08

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Kimbers are pretty and lightweight, but their stock does not fit me well and there's that accuracy gamble to consider.

Accuracy gamble? Oh yeah sure, you betcha

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

[Linked Image]

Not to be rude or "call it out", but you're getting a bunch of mileage out of 3 shots that do not even appear to be zeroed. Those three shots mean absolutely nothing, and in no way is indicitive of what Kimbers (or 99.999999999999% of rifles) will do consistently.

Again not trying to be a jerk, however posting pictures like that as if that's anything other than a statistical anomaly, leads people into disappointment when they believe their Kimber should shoot like that and it really is a 1.5 MOA for three rounds rifle.....

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only owned/shot/hunted Kimbers and have had zero problems with them.

This is my opinion only from handling all three and never actually using Nosler's or Coopers.

The Nosler seems to be a lot of money for what you get, and the Coopers seem clubby to me, though from the reports they shoot lights out.

I have tried to like the Cooper's but have never been able to justify spending the money on one. Nosler's are not even an option.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

[Linked Image]

Not to be rude or "call it out", but you're getting a bunch of mileage out of 3 shots that do not even appear to be zeroed. Those three shots mean absolutely nothing, and in no way is indicitive of what Kimbers (or 99.999999999999% of rifles) will do consistently.

Again not trying to be a jerk, however posting pictures like that as if that's anything other than a statistical anomaly, leads people into disappointment when they believe their Kimber should shoot like that and it really is a 1.5 MOA for three rounds rifle.....

Laffin' Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Statistical anomaly? Sounds like a fancy term for envious, both of the requisite skill and equipment.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Schitt you are right about not being zeored, I missed the [bleep] nickel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP don't over-think it; buy whichever fits you better and tickles your fancy. Buy pre-owned safe queens for a healthy discount

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George, sorry, but you are completely FOS on the topic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
*shrug*

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You lucked three rounds into a ragged hole off of, I'm assuming, a bench and you're convinced every Kimber is the greatest ever? "Ignorance is bliss" indeed...

OP, of the three rifle companies listed, I've experience with Kimber and Cooper and prefer the Cooper by quite a bit. ymmv

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I'm thinning out the gun case and adding a few nice wood stocked rifles. I'll be selling at least 6 and plan to get two nice rifles. I'm currently looking at the Kimber super America, the Cooper custom classic, and the nosler legacy rifle.

I find all three of these rifles appealing and like how they feel even though they each feel different. Not taking into account the price differences, what are the quality differences? I suppose I can get lucky and get one that shoots great or get a lemon, but which one is the best designed and highest quality rifle?

I do plan on one of the rifles being a cooper as I want a .250 savage, but thinking either a 7-08 super America or 7X57 legacy would be a nice addition. I need the guns to function as well as they look.

Sounds like you already want a cooper. Start out with that M54 250 sav and see how you like it. I want one of those too, just havent brought myself to part with the $$.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by starsky
You lucked three rounds into a ragged hole off of, I'm assuming, a bench and you're convinced every Kimber is the greatest ever? "Ignorance is bliss" indeed...

OP, of the three rifle companies listed, I've experience with Kimber and Cooper and prefer the Cooper by quite a bit. ymmv

�Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.�

Laffin'

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kodiakisland,

The biggest difference I've seen in the three rifles you mention is that the Cooper and Nosler are built with really good barrels. Not that Kimber barrels are bad, but they aren't custom barrels like Cooper and Nosler use.

Dunno about Cooper but Nosler has an accuracy guarantee, and all of the half-dozen Nosler rifles I've put on paper have met or exceeded the guarantee. Many Kimbers shoot very well, but some do not, though hese days they're more consistent than they were a few years ago.

Cooper stocks can be fancier in checkering and fittings than the Nosler Legacy's, but all the Legacys I've seen have had very good wood, and the work is well-done. Plus each rifle has some extras, such as the Cerakote and Micro Shield on the metal of the Noslers, the Kimbers don't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Kimber Montana that will stack 'em when the barrel's warm.

Cold barrel? It was 4 inches, until I bedded and fire lapped it. Now it's maybe 2-2.5. Still working on it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.